GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
GM's 8 Speed Automatic is in the works

I subscribe to SAE's AEI monthly magazine, and within the June issue, there is an article that talks about future automatic transmissions (DCT's, CVT's, 8 speeds, etc). It briefly talks about competitor's transmissions (ie. the Lexus 8 speed, the coming BMW ZF 8 Speed, etc) and briefly touches on GM's upcoming 8 speed (supposedly for 2011/2012MY). It will apparently have different flow paths and configurations, allowing for more ratios without having to add more planetary sets.

It doesn't go into much detail at all, but it does confirm in a way, that GM is developing an 8s speed for larger vehicles.

(Mods, please move this to an appropriate forum, as I couldn't find an appropriate sub forum)

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Re: GM's 8 Speed Automatic is in the works

GM will never have a DCT.
That's because GM steadfastly refuses to build any transmission with more than 4 gears.
Those so called "Six-Speed" transmissions?
Total marketing bull****.
Unless you buy the two-speed rear end, it's the same 4-speed under the aluminum.
Or so I've been told.
By a Honda salesman.
He seemed really believable.

·
Registered
998 Posts

That's because GM steadfastly refuses to build any transmission with more than 4 gears.
Unless you buy the two-speed rear end, it's the same 4-speed under the aluminum.
Or so I've been told.
By a Honda salesman.
And regular GM dealers hate Saturn.

"THE VIBE'S MUCH MORE GM (yeah sure if Toyota = GM nao) THAN THEIR ASTRA, DURR UHRR DUR CAN'T GET IT SERVICED HERE BOI (bull, there isn't that '09 notice' in Canada)".

How to lose all my respect in a matter of 5 minutes.

At least I've got nothing wrong to say about their service department.

·
Registered
603 Posts

Or so I've been told.
By a Honda salesman.
I sure hope you are not being serious here...
What he, the "Honda salesman" told you is of course false...

The new "6 speed" transmission are true 6 spds. For example...the G8 has 6 specific ratios inside the tranny:
4.03:1

with a single rear axle ratio of 2.92:1

That is the the 6L80E Hydromatic from GM

Here is more info for your pleasure about these true 6 spds...and other tranny details for other products:

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2008/08car.htm

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

That's cool for marketing, etc. but... More than six speeds in a car is just retarded. Even motorcycles with their peaky powerbands only have six.

Technically speaking, adding a bajillion gears to cars with the biggest engines makes little sense. Cars with the smallest engines could benefit the most from more gears. Flame away.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Or so I've been told.
By a Honda salesman.
You always make me laugh, even more so when somebody argues with your statement.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Or so I've been told.
By a Honda salesman.
GM has a two speed rear end? When did that happen? Wouldn't that make the 4 speed an 8 speed and not a 6 speed? By the way I have some land in Florida for sale real cheap, i'll give you a great deal if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
35,159 Posts

Or so I've been told.
By a Honda salesman.
u r joking, right?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

That's fantastic.

However, I'd like to see more 5 or 6 speed automatics being put into their current cars, from entry level up to the very top of the line models.

That way, people can stop using it as an excuse why not to buy a GM product.

·
Registered
44,440 Posts

DCT would be nice. Saab and Opel would probably most benefit from it, as their main competition already has them. Wouldn't be a bad thing if GM licensed one from a 3rd party. (But GM still suffers from NIH Syndrome.)
Cars like Corvette and XLR and the Cadillacs and the Kappas would benefit from DCT and even an F1 style transmission.

GM already has a CVT around. They just need to perfect it.

GM's 8-Speed has been known to be under development for quite some time. Their timeline is a bit longer than I'd like, but that's GM's way of doing things. At least we know the timeframe now. Might be good in the DT7.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts

u r joking, right?
Yes.

I just could not stomach the thought of yet another thread lambasting GM for being the last manufacturer willing to throw a 4-speed transmission into a modern vehicle. Yes, GM does make too many 4-speeds, but that is rapidly diminishing to the point of extinction and GM is not the only manufacturer still doing this.

I'll agree with mgescuro that a DSG would be a nice addition for GM's upper shelf vehicles- who can argue with lightning-fast shifts and the fuel-economy of a manual?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Re: GM's 8 Speed Automatic iis in the Works

I really believe that the best number is either 5 or 6. With 7 or 8 gears, it's just going to shift all the time. 4 is not enough, but 8 is too many.

Hell, my CBR is a 6 speed because it's a 600 and they are peaky, but my RM450 is a 4 speed because it's got the torque to cover fewer gears, which is nice on a trail ride because you aren't shifting all the time.

If anything, this trend of the 6 speeds in the loaded vehicles is not as beneficial as it would be to add more gears to the small peaky 4 bangers...but alas, I know it's a money issue more than anything.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

I just hope all 4-speeds are phased out by the end of the decade first. It will be nice to see the big Cadillacs (DT7 and ULS, but I prefer to call them ETS and FBS) have the 8-speed.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts

I haven't heard anything about the 8-speed in quite some time. Glad to hear it is still coming along. They will need it to be competitive, at least at Cadillac.

They do need to hurry up and phase out all the 4-speeds. Even the small Honda Fit has a 5-speed. Many other small cars still have 4-speeds but GM would be smart to not be the last one to phase them out. Hopefully once the 6-speeds are ramped up the 4-speeds are all gone. They don't seem to plan to do any 5-speeds in house so I'm guessing all the small cars will jump from 4-6 like everything else.

I don't really know much about them but I've often heard the new 6-speeds from GM being described as a clutch to clutch shifting auto. Does that mean the torque converter stays locked up through all the shifts once you are past 1st gear? If so, how much better is a DCT for fuel economy or anything else?

1 - 20 of 99 Posts