GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GMI Reviews: 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe
One of those: "Why didn't they make these before" ideas.
By: TaHoE

The Tahoe was my first REAL purchase, and boy was it a good one. My Tahoe is a fully loaded LT version. The LT includes Leather, 8-Speaker Audio, CD and Tape player, and more.

Power:
The Tahoe is powered by GM's 5.7L V8, producing 255HP and 335lb/ft. Power is delivered smoothly through GM's 4-Speed automatic with overdrive. At higher speeds the Tahoe does feel slightly strained however, give it a little more and the torque takes over and were talking about a serious amount of torque. At lower speeds the Tahoe is outstanding and acceleration is brisk. However all this power comes at a price. EPA numbers are extremely low at 13MPG in city, and 16 in the highway. I find that the Tahoe's city numbers may be a bit overestimated as I have been getting numbers of around 11 and 12 MPG, but my area is very "Stop & Go" so this is understandable. On the Highway the Tahoe may stretch to 17MPG but the 16 figure is pretty accurate.
My Tahoe also has GM's 4x4 System, operation is manual via, a lever mounted on the floor (My personal favorite), it comes with 2 High, 4 Low, and 4 Hi modes, and it does wonders for the Tahoe in the snow.

Styling:

Styling is extremely conservative, but is still very good looking. People still ask me: "Is that a new truck" then when I tell them it's a '96 model they are extremely surprised. There is a lot of chrome, and the wheel design is very attractive. Although the Tahoe's design hasn't changed much I still prefer my Tahoe's design, over the current one, as well as it's interior.

Interior:

My Tahoe's interior, in my opinion, is one of the best of it's kind. The gauges are very modern looking and there is space for 4 cupholders in the front alone. (four more are available in the rear area for second row occupants). The design is elegant yet handsome. Materials bring down the overall feeling for the interior, but ergonomics and design, can't be beat.

The Chevrolet Tahoe proved to the auto industry that GM could build a proper Mid/Full size SUV, with its taut architecture, strong stance and smooth ride, it couldn't be beat and is now a bestseller. Congratulations to Chevrolet and GM on a job well done, and keep up the good work.
--------------------------------------------

Main Competitors: Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon, Dodge Durango

Pros: Smooth ride, great power, strong platform, great cargo room
Cons: Some poor materials, low MPG in the city

Overall Rating: 9.0/10

1 - 2 of 2 Posts