1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A GMI Public Service Announcement
Pre-production Cars
March 11th 2008

Before any car manufacturer sells a new car, it must put it through multiple tests in hundreds of conditions, some conditions that the car will never see. Sometimes when car makers put these preproduction cars on the road, they might not have ALL the parts that the car will have when production time comes. Some of these parts are wheels, interior pieces, and even exterior lighting. What some companies will do for testing, is substitute some parts for stuff they will have in the parts bin or random parts from a local auto parts store. Recently there has been attention drawn toward the Camaro preproduction cars that have been driving around the world for testing, namely the headlights.

These headlights are NOT, repeat NOT production. They are not going to be, look similar to, or even be close to production. The headlights are there just to literally shine light on the road so that the car can be street legal. The Department of Transportation says that all road going cars must have running headlights, both high and low beam. So before another person jumps the gun about another preproduction car having some sort of odd or poor fitting parts, remember that these are PRE aka before production cars, and will be fixed before they are sold to the public.

Thank you for your time

GMI Staff

CTS spy shot with auto parts store headlights.

Malibu spy shots with tacked on round lights.

ZR1 spy shot with aftermarket wheels on it.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
I don't know what GM calls the build levels but I can list Chrysler's and what each one means.

S0 - Hand Built Mules/Pilot Plant (CTC) Builds.

Vehicles usually are two colors, Flat Black and Crash Red. Bumpers are typically Black unpainted pre-production plastic. Cars ALWAYS are camouflaged, and these cars body panels never see the light of day due to body fit and finish.

S1 - First Factory Builds

Vehicles come in all colors, but wheels may or may not be (new models typically NOT) production ready, cars may have prototype bumpers (once again new models typically HAVE prototype bumpers). These cars are the bread and butter of development and engineering people. Things can still change and typically they do. These vehicles can range from S0 quality (as in they will never shed the camo) to near S2 quality (as in they may look sellable).

S2 - First Factory "Production Ready" Builds

Vehicles come in configurations and colors that you the customer can buy, these cars rarely have camo, and are the most common ones seen running naked just before a product release. Many Executive "Fast Feedback" cars are of this type as are early "Fast Feedback" Engineering cars.

All of the above are M plated cars, sometimes S2's have regular plates but this is rare.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Does that apply to the towing hitch on the Camero too? I might buy one if it could tow a boat!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thank you! Unfortunately, the people who need to read this won't, or they just won't get it.

How many posts state "Those aren't the production headlights!" over on the Camaro thread, and how many more posts exist after that that STILL b*tch about the headlights. Getting some folks to read AND comprehend is a big task! :)

Thanks for the attempt though!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
People who complain about pre-production cars are the same people who don't read the article about the spy shots explaining why the prototype looks like it does. This means they won't read this article either so the effort is lost. However I agree with what you say 100% BigAl.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I swear, if people keep calling it a

CamEro

I'm gonna have to go postal.

It's CAMARO!:slap:
You must not be from the Midwest or California. They call it a "Camero" because that's how they pronounce it there!!

:D

Eastern seaboard & the South = ca MARROW
Midwest & California = ca MERROW
Other countries = ca MAH row

·
Registered
615 Posts
It was reading the black camaro thread yesterday, and came upon a few comments like this, just made me laugh, people are retarded. Im sorry that you had to waste your time on something like, people are still gunna complain about theses types of things.

To be honest i kinda like the tacked on headlights on the camaro.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Thank You Al!

·
Registered
316 Posts
You must not be from the Midwest or California. They call it a "Camero" because that's how they pronounce it there!!

:D

Eastern seaboard & the South = ca MARROW
Midwest & California = ca MERROW
Other countries = ca MAH row
And if you're half Klingon B'Elanna Torres, it's a "cam-a-ro." (Star Trek Voyager, "Vis a Vis" episode)... not that the Camaro in that episode was "fully stock" as Lt Paris alludes...

p.s. Gig-em Ags!

·
Registered
184 Posts
A few more points:

A lot of people ask: What is that big red button for? This is an Emergency stop in case the unexpected happens. It is for prototypes only.

There are sometimes lots of extra wires and tubes attached for measurements.

There is usually a mount for a laptop that all those extra wires connect to.

A lot of time, the production material is not available, so substitute materials are used such as harder plastics on interior panels.

Those "crazy paint schemes" and covers are there to conceal the designs from photographers. The random patterns make it hard to discern details in pictures.

Note to the mods: you may want to start a FAQ page on this stuff.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Yes, but the one you have seen is just for evaluation. The production ready hitch can be seen on this Chevy:

Those things bug the crap out of me. I don't even get what they mean. They have no balls, so they buy a truck so they can look like they do? People that have these are probably the same people that camp out in the fast lane on the interstate driving exactly the speed limit and refuse to pull over for faster traffic - they suffer from isolation a$$hole-ism.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts