·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GMI Preview: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
by BigAls87Z28
March 21, 2008
www.gminsidenews.com

The introduction of the G8 GT brought to Pontiac a TRUE performance sedan, equipped with a V8 powering the rear wheels. Pontiac has never had a car like this, ever. A proper four door sedan, with a powerful engine that not only goes well in a line, but around turns...and well!! A product from our friends in Oz, Pontiac adopted the Commodore sedan from Holden. Holden has been GM's diamond in the rough, and has given us enthusiast in America some hope with giving us cars like the Pontiac GTO and now the G8. Now that the G8 GT has hit the American shores, car magazines are paying homage to the brute from down under. The G8 GT mimics the driving presence of a BMW 5 series, but with a unique twist. But there has always been some of us who want more. As we looked at more hard core versions of the G8 GT's sister car, enthusiasts wanted something with a bit more bang. Well, Pontiac is going to deliver.
Introducing the 2008 Pontiac G8 GXP. Under the hood of the car is the Corvette's LS3, and mated behind the big 403hp mill is finally a six speed manual transmission for those that want to row their own. The six speed auto will be available for those who do not. At first, this car has an amazing orange paint that reflects light and scatters it everywhere almost like paint is being powered by the engine. Its visual enhancements over the GT model are minimal. Some front and rear lower fascia changes, larger wheels and brakes rounds out the now total performance package. The GXP bar has been raised. Inside the car, new seats with stiffer bolsters help keep you in. The GXP also gets a new steering wheel that makes you want to hold on for dear life as you hang the rear out, while the big 19 inch Bridgestone try to retain traction. Its interior space is still great, even for a car like this as everyone has enough room to enjoy the ride. The G8 GXP will become the top performing sedans in its price range, going head to head against the SRT8 twins from Chrysler and Dodge as well as other high performance sedans from Europe. This car is what Pontiac needed, a true flagship sedan that stands for everything Pontiac is about. Great performance for the dollar, great quality, taught design, and visceral soul is finally back in America.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Sigh, Why didn't GM give us the HSV front fender, side fender vent and different taillights? Its too tame looking.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Sigh, Why didn't GM give us the HSV front fender, side fender vent and different taillights? Its too tame looking.
I'm glad they didn't, the HSV is way too overdone. However, I think the GXP should have been more distinct from the GT. It's hard to tell the two apart.

Mark

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
I'm glad they didn't, the HSV is way too overdone. However, I think the GXP should have been more distinct from the GT. It's hard to tell the two apart.

Mark
Exactly, a set of rims shouldn't be the factor that distinguishes the two cars.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Re: GMI Preview: Pontiac G8 GXP

The GXP really was an eye-opener. I love the fat front fenders.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
You can tell them apart in person. The huge front fenders are part of the giveaway. I think more could have been done, but that's what I like about the base G8....it looks bad ass.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This is probably the best non Cadillac sedan GM has ever produced when you look at performance, room, quality and looks and what a value. For 2009, I would like to see the 3.6 get DI and the 6 speed auto. Who knows, maybe navigation will be an option. lol

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
It looks really nice, the fender flairs give it a real mean stance. But it still looks to much like the regular G8, the subtilty dosent do this car justice!

5,934 Posts
It looks really nice, the fender flairs give it a real mean stance. But it still looks to much like the regular G8, the subtilty dosent do this car justice!
Ha ha. A wolf in sheeps clothing. It's what's under the hood that matters.

So, according to 'Automobile' magazine, the base G8 was competitive with the 550i ...

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts

The GXP really was an eye-opener. I love the fat front fenders.
I'll admit I was impressed with the G8 GXP but I know Pontiac could've made the engine more than 403 horsepower. the LS2 in its most current form was making 400 even and IMO the LS3 should have made at least 410 to 420 horsepower. Other than that little gripe its a great looking car

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
looks like a nice car. It has the goods, give it 2 doors and call it a 'real' GTO! So I guess the reason GM will charge ~40 instead of 60k like a 550i is the badge on the front and the feature set that isn't in the GXP that is in the BMW?

CobaltSScrazy

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

I'll admit I was impressed with the G8 GXP but I know Pontiac could've made the engine more than 403 horsepower. the LS2 in its most current form was making 400 even and IMO the LS3 should have made at least 410 to 420 horsepower. Other than that little gripe its a great looking car
they wont bring it out with power anywhere near corvette, just getting the corvette engine is a win, see your local tuner to get the power you want.

the only thing I dont like is that the ls3 is labelled 'corvette' motor as now all the idiots over here in OZ can 'justify' there chev badges all over there holdens

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

they wont bring it out with power anywhere near corvette, just getting the corvette engine is a win, see your local tuner to get the power you want.

the only thing I dont like is that the ls3 is labelled 'corvette' motor as now all the idiots over here in OZ can 'justify' there chev badges all over there holdens
:mad: I know. I just passed a Torana with a Chev badge on it.:rant:

·
Registered
632 Posts
That car just looks so awesome and I really hope to will produce a 2 door version. I could care less what they call it, just make it!! I really want one, but not a 4 door.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts