GMInsidenews Exclusive Interview
Suzuki Marketing Director
RCtennis3811
October 15, 2004
GMInsidenews

2005 Suzuki XL-7

1. Is Suzuki planning to have the next Verona be the next Magnus or be
made directly by Suzuki itself?

SUZUKI AND GM WILL CO-DEVELOP NEXT-GENERATION VERSIONS OF THE VERONA, FORENZA, RENO AND FORENZA WAGON.

2. Side airbags are now standard on some Suzuki vehicles for 2005. Can
we expect more vehicles to have them and if possible which ones? What
about side-curtains - what model year will they most likely be available.

SIDE AIRBAGS ARE NOW STANDARD ON THE FORENZA, FORENZA WAGON, RENO, AERIO, AERIO SX AND VERONA. PLANS CALL FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS OF THE SUZUKI XL-7 AND GRAND VITARA SUVS TO INCORPORATE NEXT-GENERATION SIDE AND OTHER AIRBAGS. BEYOND THIS I CAN’T SPECIFY.

3. Suzuki has recently announced that it will not reach its project
sales goal for 2004. Is Suzuki still confident in reaching the 200,000
sales goal by 2007?

WE ARE VERY ENCOURAGED THAT OUR YTD SALES ARE UP 25% OVER LAST YEAR (WE’VE SOLD 57,329 UNITS IN 2004 THROUGH SEPTEMBER). THERE ARE OTHER ENCOURAGING SIGNS THAT POINT US IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION TO MEET OUR GOAL, INCLUDING:

· SUZUKI WAS RANKED 2ND IN US SALES GROWTH FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS OF 2004 ACCORDING TO AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

· THESE SALES INCREASES COME AS AMERICAN SUZUKI CONTINUES TO REDUCE ITS FLEET BUSINESS – MEANING THAT SALES THROUGH DEALERS ARE GROWING EVEN FASTER THAN THE 25% SALES GROWTH INDICATES

· THIS YEAR’S SALES INCREASES ARE MOSTLY DUE TO THE FAST-SELLING FORENZA – AND WE EXPECT EVEN STRONGER SALES ONCE THE RENO AND FORENZA WAGON HIT SHOWROOMS THIS FALL

4. Suzuki Square, the new website, and Suzuki's new commercials seem to
have a positive effect on the image of Suzuki. What else can we expect
from Suzuki in the future to further enhance its image?

SUZUKI WILL BE USING A NUMBER OF INNOVATIVE MARKETING TOOLS TO TELL ITS 2005 MY PRODUCT STORY, INCLUDING AGGRESSIVE PRINT, BROADCAST AND ONLINE PROGRAMS, NEWLY DESIGNED CONSUMER AND MEDIA WEBSITES AND A NUMBER OF HIGH-PROFILE PROMOTIONAL PARTNERSHIPS. CORRESPONDINGLY, AMERICAN SUZUKI PLANS TO INCREASE ITS MEDIA/MARKETING BUDGET TO SUPPORT ITS EXPANDING PRODUCT LINE INCLUDING THE NEW RENO AND FORENZA WAGON.

5. Rumor is that because Suzuki is a GM Alliance partner, Suzuki might
be basing upcoming vehicles on GM platforms and powertrains. One of
these is supposedly the Grand Vitara replacement which is to be built
off of the Theta Platform. What can you tell us about this platform
sharing?

SUZUKI IS CURRENTLY CONSIDERING VARIOUS SHARED-PRODUCTION SCENARIOS WITH GM INCLUDING THE USE OF GM’S THETA PLATFORM IN THE FUTURE. WE CAN TELL YOU THAT SUZUKI’S NEXT-GENERATION SUV WILL BE PRODUCED IN JAPAN.

IN GENERAL, SUZUKI’S ALLIANCE WITH GM BENEFITS BOTH PARTIES – ADDING VALUE FROM A GLOBAL STANDPOINT WHERE ONE OR THE OTHER MIGHT BE INCOMPLETE IN SUCH AREAS AS MANUFACTURING CAPACITY, MARKETING ACCESS, ENHANCED PRODUCT PORTFOLIOS, DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT RESOURCES, TECHNOLOGY ACCESS AND IMPROVED FINANCIAL STATUS.

6. What future vehicle types is Suzuki contemplating with? A
convertible, coupe, or minivan, etc?

AMERICAN SUZUKI REMAINS COMMITTED TO OFFERING PRODUCTS CHARACTERIZED BY VERSATILITY AND AFFORDABILITY. SPECIFICALLY, IN 2005, AMERICAN SUZUKI WILL BE LAUNCHING A NEW SMALL SUV.

7. As we already know, future models will be using GM's global V6
(2.8/3.6). What upcoming vehicles types are going to use this engine?

SUZUKI IS CURRENTLY CONSIDERING VARIOUS SHARED-PRODUCTION SCENARIOS WITH GM INCLUDING THE USE OF GM’S GLOBAL V6 ENGINE. HOWEVER, THE SPECIFICS ARE NOT YET FINALIZED.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's what a source is telling me, and this part is not from Suzuki...

late 2006
Epsilon-based Verona

early 2007
Delta-based Forenza

early 2005
unknown-platform Grand Vitara (looks to be Theta)

late 2005/early 2006
Theta XL7

late 2006/early 2007
Aerio becomes a coupe version of Forenza (???)

Again, the above stated in this post is just speculation.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Sweet interview, RC. Always good to hear that GM alliance partner Suzuki's sales are up and that the whole GM Daewoo buy out appears to be helping them.

I'd like to see at least one more vehicle other than the Aveo added to Pontiac or Chevrolet from the GM Daewoo/Suzuki stable.

A Pontiac version of the Suzuki Aerio would be a great entry vehicle with that strong 150 horse engine and lower price compared to the Vibe. A Forenza would be good as well, if the horsepower could be bumped up a bit. I think added volume of either one of these 2 vehicles through GM's traditional brands would help establish lower supply and repair parts, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think it stinks, I buy Suzuki's because they're made in Japan not in the states by GM. I wish Suzuki would stand on it's own feet in America instead of kissing GM's butt and using their corporate force feed components.

Oh by the way I grew up eating, sleeping, driving and drag racing Chevy's. I know all about GM and what kind of car they build.

Philip
02 GV
02 Aerio
91 Swift GT turbo
02 Ozarks 250's

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mind Suzuki and GM sharing vehicles, as long as they're more differentiated than say the CSVs....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd have to agree with Phil here. Suzuki has rock solid stuff and I am not happy that here stateside they are being force fed Daewoos when other Suzuki vehicles should be brought over her including The Wagon RR/Solios, and Lapins, not to mention the Cappuccinos. All these cars are raced in the Asian motor sports world and are highly respected. I love Suzuki small chunky urban runner cars. Their engines are simple and not as complicated as some other, which I feel is a good thing and keeps reliability issues at bay.

what I am most disappointed with is the Lack of their Aerio Support. It's their best thing they ever brought to the states and the U.S. actually gets the better engine than Japan which is almost never done. It's passed of as a everyman car, when it should be geared like the Toyota Scion line. Suzuki should let its engine and Tranny DNA out to the aftermarket companies Just like Toyota did. Advertise the car as advent Gaurd not a reliable grocery getter. The thing eats scions for breakfast. :drive:

Its a great college kid car. Do you know how many people mistake my car for a scion, or some Honda with a body kit or some funky hybrid car. :rotf:

Seriously if Suzuki wants to launch itself as something more than a reliable dopey family car I'll pitch in especially when the new S2 "Swift" comes out here. I hope they keep the hyabusa engine in it.

So hey Suzuki Give me a call if you really want to sell cars and I'll help ya out. Otherwise, I hope you are happy just re badging other defunct Korean cars while your real stuff will never be seen or appreciated and your Japanese economy will still keep stumbling.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Phil and A type sounds like a troll. First post, both drive aerios? kinda fishy

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ChevyLaxMan said:
Phil and A type sounds like a troll. First post, both drive aerios? kinda fishy
Don't worry...they're not.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
A-type said:
I'd have to agree with Phil here. Suzuki has rock solid stuff and I am not happy that here stateside they are being force fed Daewoos when other Suzuki vehicles should be brought over

So hey Suzuki Give me a call if you really want to sell cars and I'll help ya out. Otherwise, I hope you are happy just re badging other defunct Korean cars while your real stuff will never be seen or appreciated and your Japanese economy will still keep stumbling.
Don't make the mistake in thinking that Suzuki is being "force fed" anything. Suzuki bought 10% of GM Daewoo precisely so it could sell GM Daewoo cars in the US and other places. If anyone is being force fed, or has been, it was Subaru being forced to share with Saab. But even they seem to be warming up to that idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hmm, Well it sure comes off that way. Seriously when you open the hoods of the cars the whole power plant qualities are drastically different. The efficiency factors and over all finish strike me like a slap in the face. I have yet to see the Reno, but these Korean/Porsche designed engines are a little rough and antiquated looking. I guess thats where the price comes in, but I think it would be doing Suzuki a disservice, especially to the trained eye.
Could you guys inform me as to why Suzuki doesn't bring it's Lapin and Wagon RR's over, is it a crash rating issue? And from what I understand Mitsubishi is bringing over the Suzuki MR Wagon over re-badged. Not that bringing it over is bad, but why not through Suzuki? That's what I don't understand. Maybe I'm wrong?
I don't have a problem with GM and Suzuki having a partnership, and using the same Frames/ Platforms because you can make a frame look like 50 different things with different panels. But As long As Suzuki keeps the working internals theirs I can handle it.
I might come off as a troll but I am just really enthusiastic about Suzuki Products ( a rare breed I know). I just get a little passionate and carried away sometimes. But seriously where does Suzuki see itself in 6 years if it doesn't target younger crowds? Older people like the reliable car commercials, but the younger crowd wants a cool car that happens to be reliable, which the Aerio is.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I like my Suzuki product, but the company hasn't offered anything to get me excited since they stopped making the Swift GT. I like the Verona and the Forenza's not too bad.

As was said above, Suzuki owns part of GM DAT...they're not being force-fed anything. Suzuki's domestic market products (aside from the Aerio/Liana) are too small for the American market.

A-Type:

I see you live in Pennsylvania...in one of the more rural counties. Any hint where?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is Mitsubishi really bringing over the MR here!?! I didn't know they had a partnership...weird.

·
Registered
12 Posts
RCtennis3811 said:
Is Mitsubishi really bringing over the MR here!?! I didn't know they had a partnership...weird.
Yeah I read it in Import Tuner or Super street , though I can remember which one but it was the current issue, lemme dig through the pile here and I'll scan it for ya.

·
Registered
44,046 Posts
So what if the Suzukis are made in the US or in Japan or in Saudi Arabia?

The fact of the matter is... GM will be able to make ANY car ANYWHERE in the world at ANY time
With the right marketing push in the US, Suzuki can have Scions lunch and eat it too.

Also, Suzuki has access to models and markets that GM simply does not have. ANd these sub-compact models are extrememly valuable everywhere in teh world.

Let Suzuki share platforms. Give it an Epsilon or a Delta. It already is designing Lamdba (or Theta) for GM. The more the merrier.

Just make sure the Suzuki Epsilon looks nothing like the Saab Epsilon... and we'll be OK.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tookie, that's the Concept S, which eventually became the new Swift.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ming said:
A Pontiac version of the Suzuki Aerio would be a great entry vehicle with that strong 150 horse engine and lower price compared to the Vibe. A Forenza would be good as well, if the horsepower could be bumped up a bit. I think added volume of either one of these 2 vehicles through GM's traditional brands would help establish lower supply and repair parts, but I could be wrong.
I agree with Ming, a new, smaller pontiac would be a great idea. I know that they're trying to keep a sport image, and, time and time again on GMI people have talked about comparing Pontiac to Nissan. With Nissan highly considering a 2007 sub-Sentra model, it would make sense for Pontiac to go head to head w/ Nissan and add a sub-Vibe/Sunfire vehicle to their lineup. Whether it is Aerio or Forenza based, Pontiac should go for the market share and offer competition not only to Nissan (Micra/Cube) but could bode well to face the Scions, potential Hondas (sub-civic) and more. Why wait for them to come to market? The platforms already exist.

Hey Pontiac: Don't wait.. Come to market with something good.. And give the competition something to use as a benchmark. Its not impossible!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I too think that the Aerio could make a pretty good Pontiac - heck, a much better job than the Matrix does!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Concept S

Production 3-door Swift...

Well, atleast it wasn't drastically changed...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts