GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GMI Exclusive: SRX, Equinox To Get 3.0L HF V6
The long-awaited 3.0L HF V6 is coming to at least three models soon!
October 30, 2008
www.gminsidenews.com
By: Nick Saporito

As we promised last night when we broke news of leaked details on the 2010 Buick LaCrosse, we now have a little bit more information regarding the new 3.0L direct-injected High-Feature V6. Unfortunately there is still a lot of unknowns with it though; including the projected fuel economy numbers.

For some time now several of us at GMI have been referring to a 3.0L High-Feature V6 that has been in development at GM Powertrain for a few years. Recently little had been heard regarding the engine, so no one really knew when it would show up for sure on the production schedule. Last night GMI found out that the 2010 LaCrosse is going to utilize this new 3.0L High-Feature V6 as it's base engine. In that application the 3.0L is good for around 250 HP.

GMI has now learned that the 3.0L will also be used as an engine in the all-new 2010 Cadillac SRX and all-new 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. We're told that this will be an "uplevel" engine in the Equinox. As most will recall, recently GM brass broke news that the new 'Nox would be sporting another all-new engine; a 2.3L four-cylinder with direct-injection, that, according to Lutz, is going to be a fuel economy leader. Well it sounds like the 'Nox is going to have nothing but new engines for 2010 now that we know the 3.0L is the V6 option.

When GM broke news of the 2.3L they did not refer to power levels, but GMI has been told by our sources that the engine is supposed to get somewhere around 200 HP (more or less). Official fuel economy numbers are not known on either engine.

In regards to the SRX, we anticipate this as being the base engine for it. GMI was told a few months ago that the 3.6L direct-injected V6 or 2.8L Turbo would be in the SRX, so one of those two will likely be its high-end engine option. The 3.6L makes sense as its brother, the CTS, has the same engine arrangement (just not the 3.0L...yet).

GMI was not told of any power output for either the Equinox or SRX, but we assume that both will wear something extremely close to the 250 HP found in the LaCrosse 3.0L.

Several months ago, prior to the gas price spike, GMI heard rumors that the 3.0L HF would be good for about 28-29 MPG highway. Those were RUMORS though and they are very old rumors, so what kind of mileage this new engine will be good for...we do not know.

LF1 is apparently the PRO code for the new 3.0L.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
New engines (assuming no issues) will be good for GM, then the media can't make useless statements about the engine having being around since the 60s even though the engine today does not resemble he original one that much at all, they will have to write about the NEW engines and the different technology.

The masses have been brainwashed too much into thinking you need all sorts of fancy bits on an engine for it to be any good.

Looking forward to the FE numbers, especially on the 2.3L

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Compare this new 3.0 to Ford's revised 3.0 in the new Fusion. I bet GM's will offer more power and better fuel economy in a car like the Malibu. Keep one step ahead of the competition! Even the 2.3L could beat the 4 cyl mills from Honda, Toyota, Ford, etc. Nice job GM!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seeing the long-rumored 3.0HF DI V6 finally seeing use in near-future production GM vehicles is very good news because it will finally round off GM's V6 lineup, but I also think that since the High Feature V6 block is expandable up to 4.0L of displacement they should come out with a new 3.8L or 4.0L version of the HF V6 with Direct Injection to power GM's heavier full-size vehicles such as the G8, Lucerne, next gen Impala, next gen DTS/STS, and of course the next gen Lambda-based Escalade. :yup:

Not only would it help to better distinguish any vehicle that used a 3.8L/4.0L DI HF V6 from the other GM vehicles that use the 3.6HF, but it would also reduce product overlap and reduce the appearance of badge-engineering. A 3.8L/4.0L DI version of the HF V6 would be ideal for any full-size GM model as a base model V6 powertrain option. Nissan, Toyota, Chrysler, and Ford have 3.7L-4.0L V6s powering their SUVs and crossovers for extra torque output so why shouldn't GM do the same with theirs and also spread a 3.8L/4.0L DI HF V6 into their full-size sedans as well? :yup:

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Interesting.
Now GM just needs to put this into a Light RWD Sedan or Coupe.
This motor will probably replace the 3.6L non-DI in the CTS. Any Alpha sedan/coupe will probably use the 3.0L as well.

Whoooo... same engine as a Chevy!!
The news keeps getting better and better and better....
I hope the 9-4X is spared the ignominy.

:rolleyes:
So you have an issue with the fact that GM makes its best engines widely available and doesn't reserve them just for Cadillac? Toyota and Lexus share V6 powerplants. So do Infiniti/Nissan, Acura/Honda, Volkswagen/Audi, Lincoln/Ford etc. The 9-4x will probably get some smaller turbo motor making similar power.

·
Super Moderator
21,022 Posts
Whoooo... same engine as a Chevy!!
The news keeps getting better and better and better....
I hope the 9-4X is spared the ignominy.

:rolleyes:
The 3.6L DI V6 is in the Camaro and the CTS...engine sharing has been done for years.
Would you rather GM burn even more money developing engines just for Cadillac?
But just for you, we can slap a fancier engine cover on. :p:

Anyways, I'd really love to know what the fuel economy numbers will look like. Looks very promising so far...30 MPG Equinox? :clap:

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
So you have an issue with the fact that GM makes its best engines widely available and doesn't reserve them just for Cadillac?
Correct.
I don't care if everyone gets the best engine available, so long as Cadillac gets the Best + 1.

Toyota and Lexus share V6 powerplants. So do Infiniti/Nissan, Acura/Honda, Volkswagen/Audi, Lincoln/Ford etc. The 9-4x will probably get some smaller turbo motor making similar power.
And aside from Lexus, you mention all Tier 2 or 3 luxury car makers. And Audi is pulling away from shared engines, or are making engines that are Audi exclusive but derived from corporate engines.

I am of the mindset that Cadillac is always and should be deserving of more. That will never change.

Every brand has the 3.6L...
That doesn't make me feel any better.

The 3.6L DI V6 is in the Camaro and the CTS...engine sharing has been done for years.
Would you rather GM burn even more money developing engines just for Cadillac?
But just for you, we can slap a fancier engine cover on. :p:
I will always have the stance that Cadillac should have the best of the best engines and equipment. Otherwise, what's the use of having a top tier brand, when it's treated decidedly second class?

You don't see SMART engines in Mercedes. You didn't see Chrysler engines in Mercedes.
You saw modified Duratecs in Jaguars -- not Duratecs.
You see modified W8 and W10 and W12 in Audis.
And so on.

3.0L engine will be a great engine for GM ultimately. But in a Cadillac, it just shows the plebian status of the brand.

I'm not lowering my standards for what I believe Cadillac can and should be. It's about time all you GMI lemmings start looking at the potential of Cadillac and how GM has ruined Cadillac... again... and the reasonings behind the ruination.

·
Registered
460 Posts
This motor will probably replace the 3.6L non-DI in the CTS. Any Alpha sedan/coupe will probably use the 3.0L as well.

So you have an issue with the fact that GM makes its best engines widely available and doesn't reserve them just for Cadillac? Toyota and Lexus share V6 powerplants. So do Infiniti/Nissan, Acura/Honda, Volkswagen/Audi, Lincoln/Ford etc. The 9-4x will probably get some smaller turbo motor making similar power.
Olds 88,

You are wasting your time arguing with Mgescuro. This is his pet peeve as it goes to the subject of exclusivity of Cadillac. To him he would rather a lesser engine be placed into a Chevrolet or Saturn instead of them getting the best engine that GM has in their inventory (Nevermind that GM got beat up for doing such things in the past).

Obviously, you bring up the fact that other car companies do the same thing sharing an engine within it's various luxury or mainstream brands. Just be prepared. If Marc thinks 2+2=5 he will argue to he is blue in the face that he is right and will not even acknowledge you have a good point if you were to say that it actually equaled 4. His arguments are typically contradictory and many times unfair in that he will critcize GM/ Cadillac for something, but does not do so with other car companies.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Correct.
I don't care if everyone gets the best engine available, so long as Cadillac gets the Best + 1.
Tuning the Caddys for Premium and all other for Regular fuel would solve that very easily. I am in 100% agreement with you that Caddy deserves better but Chevy deserved better than they were getting too. Aparantly GM is seeing a benefit in using DOHC V6 engines because that is what all the new ones are. I'm glad that all brands are getting them but Caddy deserves a better V6... Turbo options would be nice.

·
Registered
44,427 Posts
Tuning the Caddys for Premium and all other for Regular fuel would solve that very easily. I am in 100% agreement with you that Caddy deserves better but Chevy deserved better than they were getting too. Aparantly GM is seeing a benefit in using DOHC V6 engines because that is what all the new ones are. I'm glad that all brands are getting them but Caddy deserves a better V6... Turbo options would be nice.
Again... I don't mind that Equinox is getting this engine. I mind that Cadillac is getting it -- even if it is a "base" engine for the NA market. And the engine is still too large for international markets, as a 3.0L will be hit by high taxes. There's probably a 2.4-2.8L version floating around for those markets.

Olds 88,

You are wasting your time arguing with Mgescuro. This is his pet peeve as it goes to the subject of exclusivity of Cadillac. To him he would rather a lesser engine be placed into a Chevrolet or Saturn instead of them getting the best engine that GM has in their inventory (Nevermind that GM got beat up for doing such things in the past).

Obviously, you bring up the fact that other car companies do the same thing sharing an engine within it's various luxury or mainstream brands. Just be prepared. If Marc thinks 2+2=5 he will argue to he is blue in the face that he is right and will not even acknowledge you have a good point if you were to say that it actually equaled 4. His arguments are typically contradictory and many times unfair in that he will critcize GM/ Cadillac for something, but does not do so with other car companies.
Learn to raise your expectations and quit being so accepting of mediocrity when it comes to Cadillac.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro
3.0L engine will be a great engine for GM ultimately. But in a Cadillac, it just shows the plebian status of the brand.]
Interesting reference suggesting that Cadillac is becoming a "commoner" brand, at least as far as engines go. I agree that Cadillac should still be GM's flagship brand, but the only association many people have with their engine is how it's connected to their gas pedal, so to speak. If the engine cover has a Wreath and Crest on it, only insiders will know it is shared.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts