GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The car looks like a Ford. I wonder if it is the upcoming "Futura". The greenhouse, instrument panel, mirrors, and door handles seem to resemble the Five Hundred a little bit. Then again, it has some traits in common with the Subaru that was posted earlier in the thread. It is hard to say. The car looks pretty good whatever it is.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
im comparing the subie and falcon pics, and though they are about right, there are a few tell tail signs that the mystery car is not either of them
The Falcon has 2 headlamps, hight and low. The mystery car has 3 holes for lights. Another reason is why is there 2 different car companies cars together?
Now the Subie has the oval and the thin chrome bar that jets out to each side, which the ford doesnt. But the grill is too small. Still a possiblity it is a Subie, but who knows.
Both the subie and the ford look similar as well. It could also be one of the Holden cars that have the same look?
And if that is a hyundi, what is with the blueish oval?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Originally posted by R.E Sanchez@Jun 24 2004, 05:36 AM
:eek: I think it's the Sonata...the grill says Hyundai to me
Now that I look at it, it sort of does look like a Hyundai. I think there are pictures of the 2005 Hyundai Sonata floating around the Net because I remember being surprised at seeing a Hyundai sedan with dual exhaust pipes. Shoot, that might blow the Ford "Futura" idea out of the water. I guess we will see within a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
4,266 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Jun 23 2004, 10:51 PM
would Subaru be testing in Michigan? they don't build 'em here, why would they test them in Michigan?
The car was photographed in southern California. My first impression of seeing the car in person is that it's a rebadged Suzuki Verona. The greenshouse is similar, however the rear and gauges are all wrong. Also, the dual exhaust car had a definite V6 tone to it. It was being tested with a fleet of Malibus, and it very closesly resembles a Malibu in terms of size and window shape.

The best theory going is that this is the Epsilon-based Saturn sedan. I don't think this is a Ford because the car was being stored amongst several GM cars, and the attendants were all driving Tahoes, Grand Prixs, and the odd Cadillac. I believe that this is some iteration of a GM product.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
thumbs up for the pics! you're the best.
this aside, they did a darn good job hiding this car under all tha camouflage-hehe-

yeah, it looks like the canadian chevy optra/suzuki verona, but the door handles are different.
maybe it's a opel based saturn? the door handles would make sense then... still, it seems smaller than the actual L series... also the seats look kinda cheap

also, it can't be the ford falcon because that one it's much bigger and it also have different handles.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
so this one's the new sonata?
no more mercedes benz/jaguar copy?-hehe-
definately looks like a bigger accent! way to go hyundai!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
A Ford Falcon would be seriously bad *** considering that they put up to a 335HP 5.4L DOHC V8 in them while being only about as large as a Taurus. I seriously doubt that this is the case though as I can't see where an Aussie Falcon would fit in Ford's American lineup, especially against the upcoming Futura, which is probably what it would be close to functionally, but certainly not in performance. The Falcon's performance brings another problem in having a direct transplant in that it would outgun the Five Hundred which has already been designated as Ford's new flagship sedan, replacing the Taurus. The only feasible possibility of having the Falcon name brought back to the U.S. at this juncture is if the name "Futura" is replaced in favor of Falcon. In other words, there would be two unique cars, one for the U.S. and one for Australia, that would share the same name. This is a bit extreme but is nonetheless possible, especially if Ford has yet to settle the dispute over the Futura name with Pep Boys and their Futura brand tires. But anyway, as cool as the Aussie Falcon is, this is not one of them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Most powerful Falcon is the GT with 380hp, and there's also a turbo 6 version with 370hp called the Typhoon. Falcon is not engineered for left hand drive, so no US sales anytime soon. I think it would be a bad idea to have an Australian Falcon and an American Falcon, they should think of a new name for the US. www.fpv.com.au

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice to know you approve, and glad to be of service.

More info from the rumor mill:

2.4L I4 five speed manual or four speed auto. approx 160-165 HP
3.3L V6 Five Speed Auto. approx 210 (confirmable) to 246 (projected) horses

Only real interesting info. Our sources say the car is close to unveiling, possibly next week

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by Andre@Jun 23 2004, 11:00 PM
That is the 2005 Hyundai Sonata, supposedly going to be revealed in the next two weeks, and on sale in the US in December
He is right. The headlamps look like an evolution of the current Hyundai (I think it was the Elantra, but w.e) It is obviously nothing made by an American company because it has amber lamps on the front fenders, and it has amber turn signals instead of all red (which doesn't tel us that much but it does tell us that it will be sold in Europe).

·
Registered
42 Posts
WELL THE BLUE DOT IN THE CORNER SHOWS THAT THIS VEHICLE HAS GM PROVING GROUND ACCESS(BOTTOM LEFT WINDSHIELD), THE DOT IS USUALLY ON THE DRIVERS SIDE HOWEVER MEANING THAT THIS COULD BE ANOTHER MANUFACTURERS CAR, THIS COULD BE A FORD VEHICLE THAT IS OUT TESTING THE NEW JOINTLY DEVELOPED 6 SPEED AUTOMATIC FWD TRANSAXLE, EITHER THAT OR ITS A GM DAEWOO CAR BECAUSE OF THE METRIC SPEEDO, SIDE TURN SIGNALS AND ODD PROPORTIONS

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Well, doesn't GM own a portion of Hyundai?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Originally posted by JONSULLIVAN@Jun 24 2004, 12:16 PM
WELL THE BLUE DOT IN THE CORNER SHOWS THAT THIS VEHICLE HAS GM PROVING GROUND ACCESS(BOTTOM LEFT WINDSHIELD), THE DOT IS USUALLY ON THE DRIVERS SIDE HOWEVER MEANING THAT THIS COULD BE ANOTHER MANUFACTURERS CAR, THIS COULD BE A FORD VEHICLE THAT IS OUT TESTING THE NEW JOINTLY DEVELOPED 6 SPEED AUTOMATIC FWD TRANSAXLE, EITHER THAT OR ITS A GM DAEWOO CAR BECAUSE OF THE METRIC SPEEDO, SIDE TURN SIGNALS AND ODD PROPORTIONS
hey could you turn caplocks off, it makes it look like your ANGRY. Thanks........... :type:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Jun 23 2004, 10:51 PM
would Subaru be testing in Michigan? they don't build 'em here, why would they test them in Michigan?
Since when do they have to test vehicles in states (or countries, for that matter) where they build them?

21 - 40 of 97 Posts