GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
GMI Exclusive: Some GMC Product Programs Bite the Dust
June 30, 2008

Back on June 19th GMInsidenews broke news that GM was considering cutting another division within the massive buffet of brands that they currently have here in North America. At the time of publication we were hearing that GMC and Pontiac were the two divisions on the “cut list” within GM. Since the publication of our article our sources have been echoing those sentiments; GMC and Pontiac are on the consideration list, but neither one has been selected to officially be cut from the lineup. While GMI has NOT been informed of any decisions regarding the brand cut, the signs are pointing that one may be coming soon.

GMI has learned that GM recently canceled two GMC product programs. The next-generation GMC Acadia program is the first program to be cut from the product plans at GMC. Originally the Acadia was slated to stay on with the next generation lineup of Lambda crossovers, while the closely-related Saturn Outlook would not be. However, that has obviously changed. As far as we know, the Outlook is still dead in the water for the next-generation.

The next GMC product program to get sliced was the GMC Lambda SUT program. GM is currently working on two Lambda SUT’s to combat the truck market with higher fuel efficiency. Chevrolet and GMC were both going to get a variant of the Lambda truck around the 2011-2012 time-frame. However, like its Acadia brother, this GMC has too bit the dust within the product plans at GM. That leaves only the GMC Theta program running (to replace the Pontiac Torrent) between now and 2012.

It is important to stress that we have NOT received word that GMC is getting cut. Product plans change on a daily basis at GM. Right now in particular, product plans are getting a shake-up constantly. However, this is an interesting series of cuts for GM to make to one division; a division that does not have that many product programs in the works anyway. So we are leaving it to your suspicion to formulate what is going on here.

Stay tuned! I'm sure we'll have more information soon!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
This move makes little sense unless GM goes ahead and cuts the brand entirely. It leaves GMC with nothing other than blatant rebadges of slow-selling full size trucks.

My guess is that GM hopes for Cadillac to take GMC's luxury customers with its upcoming Lambda and for Chevy to pick up the rest.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I think its a major mistake to cut the Acadia. The Outlook should be cut or maybe turned into the Opel minivan-like vehicle. Why can't GM doe what Ford might be doing with thier trucks? Why do they need the SUT's? That doesn't make sense. Ford is going to put out an entire new Ranger and a smaller pickup, maybe called the F-100, to slot in below the F-150. They should do the same between the Sierra and Canyon or just make the Canyon a tad bigger and more about the sport that the truck.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
They may pull a Buick on it an drastically reduce the line up to

Canyon- small pick up
Sierra- pick up
Terrain- small SUV
Yukon- Large SUV

Everything else will be done by Pontiac/ Buick for the BPG channel. I guess you could call it the benefit of the boutique brands. You do not have to completely eliminate to remove the dogs. The other brands cover the segments to creat one full-line up out of three.

·
Super Moderator
21,186 Posts
What the hell?!
The Acadia's the best selling Lambda and they're going to cut it?
Get rid of tha goddamned Outlook now, the Traverse negates the need for it, bring over the Zafira and everyone's happy.
GMC needs Lambdas to offset their GMT-900s...I really really think this is a bad move.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What the hell?!
Get rid of tha goddamned Outlook now, the Traverse negates the need for it, bring over the Zafira and everyone's happy.
GMC needs Lambdas to offset their GMT-900s...I really really think this is a bad move.
I'm quite confident that the Traverse will out-sell the Acadia in no time.;)

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
What the hell?!
The Traverse will be #1 in no time because of the number of dealers.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
What the hell?!
The upcoming Cadillac Lambda will probably negate the need for the Enclave as well. I think there will always be an overlap and redundancies from brand to brand as long as GM's continues to pimp out their platforms.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
What the hell?!
I concur. In fact, I doubt the source and wouldn't be surprised if in a week, GMI retracts the statement.

Acadia has been an award winner and a crowd pleaser. And unlike anything from Saturn, it has also sold very well.

If indeed the information is correct, this is an enormous blunder on GM's part - which is about par for the course. Classic 21st century General Motors: Three steps forward, five steps back.

More and more, I am with Buickman: Red-ink-Rick needs to go.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What the hell?!

Its sad, the Acadia is the best one, in my opinion, but if they are going to continue with the Enclave, it does make sence to cut the Acadia out of the same sales channel. I guess they make more money per Enclave then they do per Acadia....

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think that GMC should not be cut, but rid of all car based CUV. Stick with the Sierra and the Yukons. Close down Hummer and give GMC the H3 and H4/HX if it is not already dead. Let Buick take the CUVs.

Do not shut down any brands except for maybe Hummer(keep the name for special GMC's) and refine the brands in BPG more. I know everyone is saying it, but I never see GM really doing it. Buick - Luxury, Pontiac - Sport (No poorly done FWD cars any more), GMC - Truck based only.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Its sad, the Acadia is the best one, in my opinion, but if they are going to continue with the Enclave, it does make sence to cut the Acadia out of the same sales channel. I guess they make more money per Enclave then they do per Acadia....
I know the Acadia and Enclave is the same, But at the same time they are so diffrent. Those two imo could be sold side by side. Dropping the Acadia is a dumb move.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
I know the Acadia and Enclave is the same, But at the same time they are so diffrent. Those two imo could be sold side by side. Dropping the Acadia is a dumb move.
Does this mean that the Denali concept has zero chance of being produced? Or, is this where the funding for that program will come from?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Stop the hysteria! I think you're all jumping to conclusions about GMC being cut. I'd bet that there are a lot of projects across all brands being cut right now as GM rethinks its strategy for the future. Now, if the next Sierra and Yukon get cut, I'd be worried about GMC. But right now, I think GM is just replanning for the future.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.