GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NSAP Investigates: The Future of Saturn
A Saturn REvolution

I started out just trying to get some details on the L-Series replacement, but decided that I wanted to learn more about what the future holds at Saturn. Turns out Saturn is busy! Like Chevrolet’s “10 New Cars, in 20 Months” campaign, Saturn is going to pump out “4 New Vehicles In 30 Months”. Of course that campaign starts this fall when the first of the four, the new 2005 Relay hit’s the showroom. Followed by a new Epsilon-based midsize sedan to take the place of the L-Series. Then a Kappa roadster, which looks to be very exciting! Lastly a large Sport Utility Vehicle.
I think it is well known that Saturn is ending production of all L-Series models after this model year. With the few exceptions of some 2005 models. Most everyone can guess that the replacement is going to be an Epsilon-based vehicle. I talked Saturn into CONFIRMING to me that in fact the new midsize sedan from Saturn will be Epsilon-based. Although Saturn does not want it to be called a replacement, they want it to be a new, fresh vehicle with no remnants of the L-Series. The new vehicle will be a 2006 model year. They said that there are no plans for a wagon version (like the Malibu Maxx) as of yet.
At first I thought that the Kappa vehicle was going to be just a small sport coupe, or something like that. Actually it is going to be a roadster! Other than that I do not know anymore about this vehicle. I doubt that it will be a production version of the Curve concept, because the Curve got mixed reviews at shows, unlike the Solstice.
It was said that the large SUV will be a “Big Brother To The Vue”. Which leads me to think that it will be based on the Lambda platform, since that would be the closest platform to a “big brother” of the Theta platform, in which the Vue is based on.
Well, Saturn’s REvolution may not be as big as Chevrolet’s, but it is certainly a start. I hope to eventually do a follow-up article on this subject in greater detail in the near future.

·
Registered
790 Posts
i have an idea for saturn, change the big square boring badge. then use it for hybrid and alternet fuel testing, it will get a new crowed of people looking at saturn and it will give saturn its own place in the GM family. it looks as thought they are already going after japanees cars with saturn, why not hit them where it hurts, fuel econemy and low emissions...

anyway good news that we are going to be seeing a larger lineup, they need to get something to stick out of the crowed though.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@May 30 2004, 05:12 PM
"...Turns out Saturn is busy! Like Chevrolet’s “10 New Cars, in 20 Months” campaign, Saturn is going to pump out “4 New Vehicles In 30 Months”."
Yeah, not so much.

The Relay is a painfully pathetic choice to spearhead a renassiance, the Kappa will be a limited vehicle in terms of its direct and indirect effects on total sales (please, no lectures on halo vehicles), and I may get violently nauseous if they give Saturn yet another iteration of the Chevrolet Trailblazer. This is not exciting news in the least.

It amazes me that people can so consistently fail to learn from their mistakes. In my mind the ebb of Saturn directly correlates with its lack of timely and appropriate vehicles. That's particularly why the above strategy escapes me.

That being said, it looks like epsilon will have to carry the day. At least GM has managed to massage this architecture to produce truly distinct, and in my opinion generally fabulous cars for their respective segments (Malibu/Maxx, G6, and 9-3).

Based on some of the excellent vehicles GM has provided for other divisions, I have to say I am sorely underwhlemed by this news.

I hope the above news turns out to be some incredibly giant act of deception.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
I have said it before, Saturn should have brought an Opel van over from Europe and rebadged it. Now that would have been cool and would keep it different from other GM vehicles. I hope they do a good job with the Epsilon sedan or I think the division is going to die real quick.

I read somewhere that the ION will be heavily revised for 2005 also. That has to be good news also!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Too many divisions, too few platforms. I don't think that a small roadster can do much for Saturn, only hurt Pontiac sales. There are only so many ways to repackage the Solstice.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I'd hardly call the Relay as "Saturn being busy"...

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@May 31 2004, 10:44 AM
:D Harsh but true!

Now if they had plastic body panels, a CVT and a 3.6L DOHC engine in there....

·
Registered
739 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat@May 30 2004, 01:06 PM
i have an idea for saturn, change the big square boring badge. then use it for hybrid and alternet fuel testing, it will get a new crowed of people looking at saturn and it will give saturn its own place in the GM family. it looks as thought they are already going after japanees cars with saturn, why not hit them where it hurts, fuel econemy and low emissions...

anyway good news that we are going to be seeing a larger lineup, they need to get something to stick out of the crowed though.
That right there is the best idea anyone could possibly come up with! It would be taking a big risk, but I think it would really do wonders for GM. They would gain a tremendous reputation in the minds of the global market. Ok, so you're Saturn and you want your Epsilon, Kappa, and Lambda cars? Start packing them with efficient alternate fueled engines and watch your sales skyrocket! Bye bye import hybrids. Imagine that. Normal looking cars with really outstanding mileage. Brilliant idea, Smilingoat.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sad, GM's only wagon is the Saab 9-5. At least bring over the Open Vectra Wagon. A mini-mini Van like the Mazda MPV should be in Saturn showrooms. not the Relay. Holden has a few nice AWD wagons that would do well here as Subaru alternatives.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Originally posted by Smilingoat@May 30 2004, 08:06 PM

A Saturn hybrid: excellent idea. Make it the eco-friendly crunchy granola brand. There's an identity!

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by AMcA+Jun 1 2004, 05:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AMcA @ Jun 1 2004, 05:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Smilingoat@May 30 2004, 08:06 PM

A Saturn hybrid: excellent idea. Make it the eco-friendly crunchy granola brand. There's an identity! [/b][/quote]
If the plans are still a go (which I dunno), Saturn is suppose to get a whole line of hybrids called the "Green Line"...

·
Registered
91 Posts
What happened to rebadging Opels as Saturns? Surely to God it can't be that expensive to federalize the Vectra as-is.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Originally posted by RCtennis3811@May 31 2004, 03:44 PM
Thats true I'm not a fan of the relay or the montana SV6 or any of the other vehicles that are identical to the new line of vans (although gm isnt trying to call them vans they still look like vans to me and they look like vans that havent learned from GM's former mistakes on the venture and montana) But with that said Saturn has a potential they do bring people to GM who wouldnt normally consider them. But they need product to back them up. I think the Opel idea would be good it would give saturn someting unique

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Originally posted by joey@Jun 1 2004, 07:57 AM
Sad, GM's only wagon is the Saab 9-5. At least bring over the Open Vectra Wagon. A mini-mini Van like the Mazda MPV should be in Saturn showrooms. not the Relay. Holden has a few nice AWD wagons that would do well here as Subaru alternatives.
What do you call the Malibu MAXX?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by 91z4me+Jun 16 2004, 06:23 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (91z4me @ Jun 16 2004, 06:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-joey@Jun 1 2004, 07:57 AM
Sad, GM's only wagon is the Saab 9-5.  At least bring over the Open Vectra Wagon.  A mini-mini Van like the Mazda MPV should be in Saturn showrooms. not the Relay. Holden has a few nice AWD wagons that would do well here as Subaru alternatives.
What do you call the Malibu MAXX? [/b][/quote]
The Malibu Maxx :blink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts