GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you will recall I announced in a GMI Exclusive some details about the 2005 Grand Prix GXP back in November, I overlooked a lot of that info and just posted the major details, so here is the rest of it.

Production for the GXP starts: March 7, 2005

Standard Features on GXP:

*DIC/Trip Computer
*Head-up Display
*Infotech Package
*Heated Front Seats
*5.3 Litre V8 SFI
*Stainless-Steel, Daul Outlet Exhaust
*Sprot Package
*StabiliTrak Sport
*Magnasteer II
*Special Ride and Handling Suspension
*UltraLux Suede inserts and leather blosters (Seating)
*18" Wheels

Optional Features:

*XM Radio
*DVD-Based Navigation System

This is very early information, so please keep in mind that these may very well change...

Stay with GMInsidenews for the latest...

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Which engine is this? I don't recognize the displacement.

Is it a Northstar cousin? An LS2 cousin? A Vortec?

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by AMcA@Jun 28 2004, 05:49 PM
Which engine is this? I don't recognize the displacement.

Is it a Northstar cousin? An LS2 cousin? A Vortec?
Its a Gen 4 V8, so I guess that makes it a cousion to the Ls1, LS2

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hey guys as long as it blows away any Nissan Altima or Maxima I'll be happy and you all should be too. Who cares if it's FWD as long as it embarrasses any Nissan.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If this is going to turn into a FWD discussion, I am closing it. Stay on topic please.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It will probably be 285hp to 300 TOPS! since the GP GTP is already 260 I see 285 as the minimum.

How over priced is this thing going to be anyways? I am sure it will be priced similar to the Acura TL or Maxima.

Nicer interior would help. And for the love of God Pontiac, a God Damn manual no 4-speed auto BS.

I see at the end of the decade the GP and GTO being the same car, only the GP as a 4-door sport sedan and the GTO being slightly more powerful and more sporty coupe. Zeta can not come soon enough.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
those are great news, can't wait to see some pics/pricing

altough I hate fwd, this car will smoke anything in its class. hopefully the exhaust note will match the grunt, not like on the late f-bods.

also, do those trannys hold with the amount of torque this v8 deliver?

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by chadbarb99@Jun 28 2004, 08:43 PM
Just outperform those fugly Nissan's, all I ask
I think with 285 hp plus this car will not only smoke Nissans but also Pontiacs own Bonneville GXP. This should be an entertaining ride.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
With more displacement and more horsepower it shouldn't have ANY PROBLEM outrunning a Maxima.

Assuming of course it can get traction.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Anyone know whats going to happen tothe Bonneville GXP when this car hits the streets, because the GP will be nipping at it's heels? Will it get more power, or be discontinued or what?

·
Registered
275 Posts
its not all about the hp numbers... in all its other applications it has more torque than hp so that will be nice. and as long as the wheel hop and torque steer is minimal, im sure it will be a fast car; sub 6's to sixty.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Good news!

To the person who posed the question... You never heard of the 5.3 V8? Take a look at your local Chevy dealership, and they will have hundreds of 5.3 liter equiped Trucks and SUV's. This 5.3 is certified for car use.

Right now, the GTP Comp G outperforms the Maxima...just not on performance numbers. Take a look at any comparisons and the 2 are very close. Adding another 40hp will stomp on the Maxima. I wish that GM had a high strength 6spd manual for the GXP models.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by nsap+Jun 28 2004, 06:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nsap @ Jun 28 2004, 06:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-AMcA@Jun 28 2004, 05:49 PM
Which engine is this?  I don't recognize the displacement.

Is it a Northstar cousin?  An LS2 cousin?  A Vortec?
Its a Gen 4 V8, so I guess that makes it a cousion to the Ls1, LS2 [/b][/quote]
It's a Gen4 Smallblock Vortec V8, similar to the one in the Saab 9-7x which makes over 300HP, but will be tuned to probably 285HP. They have taken the GP as far as possible on it's FWD capabilities, which is a good signal that the GP will move to RWD.

Sorry to pop out of the blue like this, but I had a little computer time at one of my friend's house here in Malta, so I was able to come to GMI for a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Hopfully the 5.3L will be rated at 300HP. The 5.3L in the 05 Silverado will be rated at 310HP

I also hope they keep the MSRP under $30,000

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Z28x@Jun 29 2004, 01:35 PM
Hopfully the 5.3L will be rated at 300HP. The 5.3L in the 05 Silverado will be rated at 310HP

I also hope they keep the MSRP under $30,000
I second that. I don't want it to turn into another Bonneville GXP - a nice car, but priced north of it's league

The LS4 should be pretty cost effective, so hopefully it won't be much, if any, more expensive to build than the S/C 3800 (those blowers aren't cheap). Now if they'll only price it that way...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts