GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below are all of the production dates for all of the G6 models and some powertrains.

*Sedan Production Starts in August of this year. (G6 and GT only)

*GT and GTP Coupe and GTP Sedan Production begin in May of 2005, along with the 3.9 Litre with DOD.

*Production for the 2.4 Litre begins in June of 2005.

*GT and GTP Convertable Production Starts in September of 2005.

Also note that the Grand Am will be completely gone by July 2005.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Good news Nasp! Too bad about the GTP stuff. Guess they are gunna work on the supercharged 3.9 for down the road?

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
"...*GT and GTP Coupe and GTP Sedan Production begin in May of 2005, along with the 3.9 Litre with DOD.

*GT and GTP Convertable Production Starts in September of 2005."

Slow, cautious buildup to ensure the highest quality vehicles, perhaps?! This seems to be a glacier's pace, no?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I can't wait until the 3.9L v6 gets into the G6. 245 ft-lb torque at 2,800 rpms, DoD, VVT. This is an awesome engine. :woot2:

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Originally posted by saugatak@Jun 26 2004, 08:55 PM
I can't wait until the 3.9L v6 gets into the G6. 245 ft-lb torque at 2,800 rpms, DoD, VVT. This is an awesome engine. :woot2:
Yeah, I only wish it was sooner. My Uncle was gonna get a G6 but hew decided on a Camry cause he didnt wanna wait to Fall :(.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jun 26 2004, 07:42 PM
Below are all of the production dates for all of the G6 models and some powertrains.

*Sedan Production Starts in August of this year. (G6 and GT only)

*GT and GTP Coupe and GTP Sedan Production begin in May of 2005, along with the 3.9 Litre with DOD.

*GT and GTP Convertable Production Starts in September of 2005.

Also note that the Grand Am will be completely gone by July 2005.
Sounds great but they are taking too long. I would love to get my hands on the GTP but I need a car by the end of summer. Probably will end up with a Saab 9-3 rather than the Pontiac.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by gmwsag@Jun 26 2004, 05:18 PM
Which means we will see the coupe and convertible at Detroit/L.A./Chicago/New York???
I think the Coupe will deabut at LA/Detroit and the vert at either Chicago or NYC, that way they can spread the excitment out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
they are really taking way way way too long to get these products to the market. It seems GM is introducing vehicles now that will be out in 2 or more years.

This allows the competition to see what GM is up, and by the time these products get to market, there will be better products already out there by other companies.

Very bad idea

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Yeah, I only wish it was sooner. My Uncle was gonna get a G6 but hew decided on a Camry cause he didnt wanna wait to Fall .

Too bad it's going to take so long, I was thinking about buying one but I don't know if I want to wait that long.

Was your uncles current car stolen or totaled? Was it in such bad condition that it could not make it until fall?

Patience grasshopper....

Sounds great but they are taking too long. I would love to get my hands on the GTP but I need a car by the end of summer. Probably will end up with a Saab 9-3 rather than the Pontiac.

Do you really need a car by the end of the summer? Are you in a lease? Couldnt you wait? I think that it might be worth it for the G6 convertible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wish GM would get this car out sooner (especially the GP), but it's more important that they get the car right, not rush to get it out and then have to do hundreds of recalls.

This allows the competition to see what GM is up, and by the time these products get to market, there will be better products already out there by other companies.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a FWD sedan. You can only up HP so much in cars of this type before torque steer makes the car unusable.

Maxima has been ripped for torque steer and even the TL has torque steer, especially in the manual.

Besides, BMW has already ripped off Pontiac's looks! :lol: ;)

And what are the chances that someone else is going to come up with a pushrod that can beat the 3900?

The G6 looks real nice, and the interior looks great too.

Plus 240HP in a FWD is enough, and this baby is a torque monster, 245 [email protected],800 rpm is phenomenal. With DoD and VVT, I wouldn't be surprised if this car gets 35mpg highway.

As long as the price is right, this is going to be a hit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
just remember when the very first GP GTP came out it didnt come out for at least 2 yrs after the 90s GP was built...same with the late 90s version GTP came bout 1 yr later now the same with the G6 whats the big deal eventhough the G6 is a very competitive car for the imports but like the guy said once we show what were workin on toyota and the others are gonna up it of what were gonna build......... YES Toyota hasnt built a truck like the SSR or Silverado SS or even a GTO recently but hey im sure they got something up their sleeves to outdo us

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it is a great idea that they are taking it slow.. Would you want a ton of recalls on a sedan/coupe/convertable, that would not look good at all.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Jun 27 2004, 03:32 AM
Do you really need a car by the end of the summer? Are you in a lease? Couldnt you wait? I think that it might be worth it for the G6 convertible.
I can't speak for anyone else but even by the end of summer is pushing it for me. I am moving to Canada (within a month or so) and my only current car is a BMW Z3. Can't picture using it year-round up there (like I do currently) so I am not importing it. I can only ask my employer to pay for a rental so long. next Spring isn't really feasibly. If the GTP was comming in September/October I could probably pull that off.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jun 27 2004, 12:05 PM
I think it is a great idea that they are taking it slow.. Would you want a ton of recalls on a sedan/coupe/convertable, that would not look good at all.
Surely GM can strike a better balance of ensuring quality and ensuring a timely introduction of a potential sales success story. A year+ introduction schedule for a coupe, sedan and convertible is a bit over-the-top.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by tgagneguam+Jun 27 2004, 08:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tgagneguam @ Jun 27 2004, 08:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nsap@Jun 27 2004, 12:05 PM
I think it is a great idea that they are taking it slow..  Would you want a ton of recalls on a sedan/coupe/convertable, that would not look good at all.
Surely GM can strike a better balance of ensuring quality and ensuring a timely introduction of a potential sales success story. A year+ introduction schedule for a coupe, sedan and convertible is a bit over-the-top. [/b][/quote]
Still, like every new car, there is going to be bugs in it that can be improved, or changed. Doing it this way gives GM time to work out the bugs. With GM trying to improve their qaulity issues itsbest for them to wait and do it right the first time, not rush and give a new car a bad reputation. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The "GT" at least has bigger wheels, traction control, and a "sport suspension" to justify the moniker, even if it is without the 3900 yet:

GT Adds:

• Rear spoiler
• Power adjustable gas and brake pedals
• Convenience Package
• Premium 8-speaker Monsoon high-performance sound system
• Sport suspension
• Front and rear carpeted floormats
• Driver 4-way power seat adjuster
• 4-wheel antilock brakes, includes Full Function Traction control
• Cargo net
• Carpeted front and rear floormats
• 17" cast aluminum wheels

Available Equipment on GT models:

• Leather appointed seating
• OnStar***
• Driver power 6-way seat adjuster
• Power Panoramic Roof
• XM Satellite Radio**
• Side roof rail and side-impact front air bags*
• Remote vehicle starter system
• Power sunroof, includes sunshade

http://www.pontiac.com/g6/specs.jsp?brand=...e&pagename=home

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
just remember when the very first GP GTP came out it didnt come out for at least 2 yrs after the 90s GP was built...same with the late 90s version GTP came bout 1 yr later now the same with the G6 whats the big deal eventhough the G6 is a very competitive car for the imports but like the guy said once we show what were workin on toyota and the others are gonna up it of what were gonna build......... YES Toyota hasnt built a truck like the SSR or Silverado SS or even a GTO recently but hey im sure they got something up their sleeves to outdo us

Sorry Charlie.....but the first GTP came out in 1991 as a replacement for the Turbo Grand Prix that was sold as a limited edition in 1990. The front wheel drive Grand Prix debuted in 1988, there was a base, LE and SE models, the SE model was equivalent to the top of the line Grand Prix at the time, it had the 4 passenger fron and rear bucket seats and the gauge package, then the Turbo was introduced in 1990, and then the GTP was introduced when GM introduced the 3.4 Litre Twin Dual Cam V6 in 1991, this engine was standard in the GTP and available in all the other Grand Prix models.

When the Grand Prix was introduced in 1988 it was a coupe only, then the sedan came out in 1990, there was a Turbo powered sedan version of the Grand Prix as well, and that was available from the start of sedan production, the Turbo sedan was called the STE, it was a replacement for the outgoing 6000 STE, the STE continued through 1993 with the 3.4 DOHC engine as in the comparable coupe GTP. After 1993 there just was an uplevel GT sedan with the available 3.4 DOHC and the GTP coupe with the standard 3.4 DOHC V6. This set up continued through 1996.

When the new Grand Prix sedan and coupe were introduced in 1997, all the models were available from the start of production, there was an SE sedan with the standard 3.1 litre V6 and available 3800 V6, the GT coupe and sedan with a standard 3800 V6 and the GTP coupe and sedan, with the 3800 Supercharged V6.

What I dont understand is that GM is not allowed to add horsepower and more models to a vehicle line up after it introduces it?

The Corvette C5 came out in 1997, but the Z06 did not come out until 2000? And even then it was the 385hp version, in 2001, they upped it to 405hp, so what would you propose? That the 405hp version had come out in 1997 with the rest of the Corvette line up? And then GM is not allowed to make any changes to the C5 until the new model come out in 2005?

This is how it works...

G6 sedan comes out....it generates some buzz...then then initial newness wares out after a few months...then the coupe version debutes.....again some buzz....and then it becomes commonplace.....then the convertible....and the GXP versions...and so on and so forth....that way the car is kept in the lime light as the new models keep being introduced through out the roll out period.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Jun 27 2004, 06:22 PM
This is how it works...

G6 sedan comes out....it generates some buzz...then then initial newness wares out after a few months...then the coupe version debutes.....again some buzz....and then it becomes commonplace.....then the convertible....and the GXP versions...and so on and so forth....that way the car is kept in the lime light as the new models keep being introduced through out the roll out period.
That sounds like a good plan, both from a buzz-generating standpoint, and not having to have every single variation of the car ready from day one. Why delay the car until every single variation is ready, when you can get them out there early in one form, and add the others later?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts