GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
GMInsidenews was lucky enough to receive exclusive access to these pictures from our very own member, vanshmack. His wife, Chantal took these photos near her place of work. Please give her all credit for these pictures.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by brown_jenniferk@Jun 23 2004, 09:09 PM
GM is making changes to the Malibu for next year?
The insurance industry gave the Malibu poor ratings in crash tests, so it is likely that GM is going to revise the front and rear to make the insurance rating better.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
GM is making changes to the Malibu for next year?

they need to make drastic changes to it. it's horrible. what were they thinking?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I cant see alot, but the front end doesnt look that diff to me

·
Registered
538 Posts
I agree, it's very hard to see what changes have been made. Thanks alot for the pics Vansmack, tell your wife she's a great photographer. :D

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nice pics...but still doesn't look all that different. They did do a decent job of camo'ing.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of the changes will be under the skin, to make the bumpers stronger. I think the grille is a tiny bit larger on this model, and the both the front and rear bumpers look bigger.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
At the Future Roadmap page right here at GMI it says an SS model is on the way. But I really don't see the difference. Why is it covered up?? Who is that lady??

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Originally posted by wiserocz@Jun 24 2004, 03:22 AM

The character lines on the door look to be missing...or wait...
I think that white just hides them. They seem to still be there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It looks like the grille has been changed, which I think is a good thing, the front end of those cars are a little strange looking. You can't tell much otherwise, it's covered up too well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Jun 24 2004, 01:52 PM
At the Future Roadmap page right here at GMI it says an SS model is on the way. But I really don't see the difference. Why is it covered up?? Who is that lady??
A maliblew SS? Perish the thought. That is quite an oxymoron indeed. Nobody who buys a malibu is buying it for the sportyness. Heck I can't even think of a reason anyone is buying it except for maybe the discounts. It's awkward looking outside and bland inside can't have that much appeal to even consider an ss version. But what do I know, I see a few of them around here and there.
:huh:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by sheithappens@Jun 24 2004, 08:50 PM
A maliblew SS? Perish the thought. That is quite an oxymoron indeed. Nobody who buys a malibu is buying it for the sportyness. Heck I can't even think of a reason anyone is buying it except for maybe the discounts. It's awkward looking outside and bland inside can't have that much appeal to even consider an ss version. But what do I know, I see a few of them around here and there.
:huh:
Heaven forbid someone might buy a vehicle for reasons other than appearance...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok. Here is my theory. First -- the photos of the disguised Malibu and the disguised Hyundai are obviously related, as evidenced by these two photos that were previously posted:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/gallery/albums...84/P1010027.jpg

http://www.gminsidenews.com/gallery/albums...84/IMG_1142.jpg

Note the lettered white paper affixed to the left rear window of each vehicle. "L" on the Malibu and "N" on the Hyundai. Also note the blue stickers affixed to the outside glass on each vehicle.

It is my opinion that the disguised Malibu is NOT a GM prototype of any sort. I believe this to be some type of consumer clinic where competitve models are heavily disguised and driven for back-to-back comparison to evaluate features, powertrain, handling, etc. The Malibu is likely a production model purchased by Hyundai for evaluation.

My two cents worth -- any thoughts???

·
Registered
329 Posts
I believe that is what it is. First the badge in the center of the grille is covered and they took the little caps of the center of the wheels on the Malibu that has the Bow-Tie on it. Also if they were revising the car it would most likely have new wheels, almost everytime they modify a car they also make new wheels for it and the wheels in the picture are the 15" wheels that are standard on the LS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by drejr842@Jun 24 2004, 10:38 PM
Ok. Here is my theory. First -- the photos of the disguised Malibu and the disguised Hyundai are obviously related, as evidenced by these two photos that were previously posted:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/gallery/albums...84/P1010027.jpg

http://www.gminsidenews.com/gallery/albums...84/IMG_1142.jpg

Note the lettered white paper affixed to the left rear window of each vehicle. "L" on the Malibu and "N" on the Hyundai. Also note the blue stickers affixed to the outside glass on each vehicle.

It is my opinion that the disguised Malibu is NOT a GM prototype of any sort. I believe this to be some type of consumer clinic where competitve models are heavily disguised and driven for back-to-back comparison to evaluate features, powertrain, handling, etc. The Malibu is likely a production model purchased by Hyundai for evaluation.

My two cents worth -- any thoughts???
Exactly. Well put, my friend.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by sheithappens+Jun 24 2004, 08:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sheithappens @ Jun 24 2004, 08:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gmwsag@Jun 24 2004, 01:52 PM
:huh: [/b][/quote]
Wow...great statement. No one said the Malibu is "sporty". If it was, there wouldnt be a need for a SS model now would there? Is the Toyota Camry sporty? not at all. Is it exciting? No way in hell. Is it vibrant inside? not even to blind people. It is the dullest car on the road, yet it seems to sell by the boat loads. The Malibu offers a much more appealing, IMO, design along with better gas milage, and offers the Maxx which no one really offers anymore.

For the record, I would deffinatly buy a Malibu Maxx SS with a 3.9 245hp and 6spd manual.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts