GM Inside News Forum banner

GMI Exclusive: 2010 Saturn Aura on "Hold"

45K views 193 replies 100 participants last post by  zabraden 
#1 · (Edited)
GMI Exclusive: 2010 Saturn Aura on "Hold"
http://www.gminsidenews.com
June 26, 2008

It is one of the most-anticipated new Saturn products to date. Nothing is more important than a brand's midsize sedan. While the current Saturn Aura received much fanfare during its launch in late 2006, sales have been only so-so. As most of our readership knows, Saturn was supposed to get one of the first Epsilon II cars in mid 2009 as a 2010 model. That has, however, potentially changed.

GMInsidenews has learned that GM has placed the far-along 2010 Saturn Aura program on HOLD. Last week the Fairfax, Kansas plant was notified of the change. Keep in mind that the plant has already received much of the tooling for the new product. What GMI is hearing is that GM has had second-thoughts on the program (we heard possibly to rethink the car's fuel economy?). At the current time no information has become available as to WHY, specifically, the program is now on hold when it is so far along.

Such a change so close to the product's launch is very unusual, but with all the shuffling going on at GM right now, we are not entirely surprised. This does bring up the question: will this delay the Aura’s launch? We have yet to hear that, but when you place such a car on hold when it is this far along…it will probably cause delays on the launch. The car was originally intended to launch in fall 2009 as a 2010 model-year vehicle.

Review: GMI has confirmed with four independent sources that the Aura program has been put on hold as-of last week. There is no word at this time as to what sparked the hold. Stay with GMINSIDENEWS for the latest as we are always getting information.

See less See more
#6 ·
Does this effect the Insignia? Maybe they want to debut the 9-5 before the Aura. That way one can say that the Aura is based off the same platform as Saab as opposed to the other way around.

If it is because of fuel economy issues, I am glad that they are devoting a lot of thought toward it, I guess.

#7 ·
Like the saloon, the Insignia fastback will be available with both front and all wheel-drive. The AWD is fitted with the FlexRide mechatronic chassis system with its Adaptive Stability Technology, but is also optional for the FWD models. Seven engines will be offered at first, four petrol engines ranging from a 4-cylinder 115-bhp unit to a 260-bhp V6 and three new 2.0-litre direct-injection diesels ranging from 110 to 160 bhp.
Could it mean that and of the above powerplants might make it over here instead?

#8 · (Edited)
As much as I like the Aura, GM is doing the right thing here and IMO what GM should do with the Saturn brand from now until 2012.

The 2010 Aura should become the 2010 Buick Regal (you only have to squint a little to see a Buick grille on the Insignia pictured) and from what I understand is what the Insignia will be sold as in China. This will give Buick a mid-size sedan with a 2.4L engine for MPG positioned below the Invicta and allow GM to ease the G6 out of production in favor of a RWD replacement.

What of the 2010-2012 Aura?

Keep the name but apply it to the Estate (Wagon) version of the Insignia and sell it as the Aura Avant, marketed as the high MPG 5-passenger (CUV, MPV?) companion to the 7-passenger Zafira. This will play into Saturn's focus on being an efficient "european" brand and give Saturn a mid-size entrant, and remember as much as we make a fuss about how small cars are popular in Europe, so are Wagons and they make an attractive alternative to someone who only needs a little more utility than a sedan offers.

The rest of the Saturn line will consist of the "Triplets", Matiz, Corsa (with a new name - "Saturn Corsa" sounds terrible), Astra (3D, 5D, Estate), Meriva and Montana Pickup (at least Saturn Montana sounds OK and can play on the "Hannah Montana" craze).

Why give Saturn the "Triplets" and Corsa?

Because they will be offered at select Chevrolet dealers as the "new" GEO, eliminating the need for GM to "re" create a brand, I like the GEO idea as it has been presented recently but lets face the fact GM really can't afford it.

Existing Saturn dealers will remain and GM will need to watch oversaturation, but it is manageable.

Doing this also reduces the number of models GM has to create and the topic we should be addressing as the real cost of brands is not the number of brands, but the number of models if all brands have full lines - restrict the total number of models and distribute them strategically and GM will find success.

Oh, and by 2013 GM will be picking up momentum at which time the 4-Door Sedan version of the Aura can return.

#10 ·
The rest of the Saturn line will consist of the "Triplets", Matiz, Corsa (with a new name - "Saturn Corsa" sounds terrible), Astra, Meriva and Montana Pickup (at least Saturn Montana sounds OK and can play on the "Hannah Montana" craze).
I don't know about the Montana, I'd say give that to Chevy and a beefed-up, tougher looking version to GMC to offset their full size trucks' low fuel economies. I think more people would buy it too if it were badged as a Chevy and GMC.
And if the reason behind the Montana name is from Hannah Montana, I will never buy one for as long as I'll ever live.

#20 ·
Don't put anyone in a bad way. Remember the Oshawa guy who got canned for pictures of that mysterious Concept Camaro no one had seen before?

#25 ·
Maybe it's as simple as GM not having the "cash" for not only a new product to be produced, but more importantly, the money to give the car a proper "advertising launch". As someone mentioned before, the new Malibu with the 6 speed auto and 2.4 is getting really good mileage ratings...and the current Aura is getting the same combo (and will thus be getting the same mileage ratings.) If GM is as short on cash as we are led to beleive they are now (and will be for the next year or two), then why spend ANY money now for an expensive vehicle launch...when you have a current car that people may just keep on buying (in not spectacular numbers) because it is improving in the way (fuel economy) that seems to be more important to people now than styling is.

Remeber, new vehicle launches, done the right way (advertising included) can be expensive. If a company is having funding problems, they may have to pick and choose what projects go forward and which ones they can hold off on.

#30 · (Edited)
I don't see that with the 4 speed/ 3.6L combo. At 65 mph I see 28 mpg Highway. I have averaged 21.7 mpg combined over 24000 miles. I think it is pretty good so mileage will not be the motivator to make my next purchase.

Vanity will be. :D

#32 ·
smaller engine and the Saab 9-5 I would say, after reading the post. but I hope it's not the big assembly line in the sky b/c Saturn will be one with Opel by 2014, so I am confused...
won't Saturn essentially just redo the sheet metal to make the bumpers work....

#33 ·
Good riddance. Sorry, I'd rather dump resources into making the world's finest midsize sedan in the Malibu. The Aura would take up too many resources + advertising dollars.

When GM has made Malibu #1 in sales and perception, then they can think about a second car for Saturn.

And this is from a fan of the Saturn Sky, who is being tempted by the 0% for 72 months deal!

#37 ·
I'm only guessing, but maybe, just maybe, management has finally seen the light and will sell the new Aura through a division like Buick that has a better chance of producing real sales numbers? We can debate the reasons but the fact remains that over the past 2 years Saturn has launched some excellent products only to witness dismal sales results. Why give Saturn anther winner when other divisions could actually make GM a profit with this car?

GM needs profitable volume leader cars now, something Saturn with it's small dealer network cannot deliver.

#38 ·
I hope GM can call this a "unique oppurtunity" rather than a "major challenge," like with what Rockstar said when they delayed Grand Theft Auto IV. I am holding the hope that they found an 11th hour major improvement they could make for the car. Maybe they pulled a Ford Focus and found they could extract another 2 mpg out of it with some minor tooling.

#39 ·
Gm figured out how bad they screwed up Saturn and decided to can it

#40 ·
It's amazing how many of you are speculating without data, other than what scant information the moderators provided in the thread header. Ah well, yet another chance for all the Saturn haters to resurface now that the woodwork's squeaked...

mpsrent - your theory might be more valid if 80 percent of Saturn's lineup (save the Astra) weren't duplicated in other GM divisions. Saturn's other major problem aside from ~430 North American retailers is a woeful lack of advertising.

Unless GM can accurately define roles for Buick, Pontiac and GMC and sell Hummer, this quagmire won't stop. Giving the Aura to Buick reeks of the 1990s (why does Buick need a 4-cyl. model?), better to import the gorgeous Chinese variants to the States, which would allow this storied make to take a step toward its halcyon days. Pontiac needs to become RWD asap, no minivans, no small SUVs but performance, performance, performance! GMC needs to be GM's commercial truck arm instead of the worst example of rebadging the company offers.

I hope BrickTamland's theory is at least partially correct as a redone Aura might have made it to my short list in 2011 when I'm ready for a new vehicle.

#96 ·
It's amazing how many of you are speculating without data, other than what scant information the moderators provided in the thread header. Ah well, yet another chance for all the Saturn haters to resurface now that the woodwork's squeaked...
That sounds about right for this thread. Saturn stopped moving so the vultures start circling. Losers. Why anyone would want ANY division of GM to fail is beyond me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.