·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Chevrolet HHR
By: NSAP
A New Kind of Halo Vehicle
www.gminsidenews.com

For quite a while the media was hearing a lot about the upcoming 2006 Chevrolet HHR. Lately though, it seems that we have heard nothing about such vehicle. When General Motors introduced the Chevrolet Nomad concept car at Detroit last January there were rumors that the HHR program was going to get axed and they were thinking about producing the Nomad instead. I can confirm that Chevrolet is going to produce the HHR, not the Nomad.

Generally all Chevrolet dealers are confused about why they are going to produce a Delta-based HHR when the Cobalt is a Delta vehicle. I can see their point, that could very well cause some model overlapping. Another thing that makes the dealers unhappy about the HHR program is that GM is positioning it to compete with the Chrysler PT Cruiser. When the PT was first introduced it was a new craze, and sold very well. Of course that craze is now over and GM is just now getting in the game.

So who exactly is going to buy this vehicle? Well, GM is considering it a “Halo Vehicle”, making it a low-production model. I think it is going to be a modern kind of halo vehicle, because it will be a relatively cheap vehicle, which is not a normal “halo” trait. One has to consider that people who need more room and like retro will be the majority of buyers.

The Heritage High Roof (HHR) is going to use the Ecotec family of four-cylinder engines. Most likely it will feature the 2200 and 2400 Ecotecs, both of which are used in the Cobalt. Expect the HHR to have horsepower ratings from about 150-180. There is also a possibility of a Supercharged Ecotec further into production.

The General is claiming that the HHR will be a very functional vehicle, maybe it will take some of the Element and xB buyers.

I think a lot of people will be amazed with the HHR. It may seem like a dumb idea right now, but an affordable halo vehicle with great Ecotec power, if the price is right, it may just be an splendid vehicle.

Production of the HHR is going to start in the middle of 2005

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
since there's no cobalt (or delta, for that matter) wagon or hatchback in north america, i don't see too much overlap. not sure about this 'halo' talk though (man i get tired of labels like that!)... delta isn't very big, and GM (especially chevrolet) doesn't seem to be lacking on the 'halo' front. so if they wanna build it to supplement the cobalt, it's maybe not a bad idea. but as an image builder? chevrolet has enough image... they have to keep focusing on the core product.

hmmmm... can't help but think a snazzy little cobalt 5-door (a la opel astra) would be better for north america, and would also leave more room for the nomad. though different, i think the nomad and HHR would crowd each other in chevrolets already large portfolio. and i like the nomad better!

5,934 Posts
Production of the HHR is going to start production ...huh?

I can see it being introduced as an "entry-level" vehicle with a 4-cylinder. But perhpas later adding a 6 or 8? That would be cool.

A can see a family buying it because it is relatively inexpensive and "different". You know, unlike an Odesssy, Caravan, etc. As long as the interior is trimed out nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

:mf_boff:

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@Jun 29 2004, 12:23 PM
Production of the HHR is going to start production ...huh?

Sorry, I didn't have the rest of it highlighted when I copied it from Word/. :D :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
well, there wont be overlap.. just as a pt cruiser shopper wouldnt consider a neon and visa/versa. but why build it instead of the nomad? i dont get it. dammit, chevy starting to tick me off, thinking magnum more and more.. have to get my impala tatoo removed, but o well.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Anyone else here think that this looks more like the next Suburban than a HHR?? That looks like a mighty large vehicle to be getting hauled around by a 4 cylinder, even a 170 horsepower Ecotec.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I can see it being introduced as an "entry-level" vehicle with a 4-cylinder. But perhpas later adding a 6 or 8? That would be cool.

A can see a family buying it because it is relatively inexpensive and "different". You know, unlike an Odesssy, Caravan, etc. As long as the interior is trimed out nice.
Delta paltform.... PT Cruiser competitior.... it's not that big. besides, it's FWD, how do you figure that a V6 or V8 is going in there? it won't compete against minivans, it won't compete against sedans, it's a niche vehicle, and i seriously don't think it's something Chevy needs. what is going on over there? they need to focus, as others said, on core product, AKA mainstream cars. Impala, Malibu, and even the truck lineup that's getting a bit too dated. they won't stay in the game making niche vehicles like this HHR. GM, pull your heads from your rear ends!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Jun 29 2004, 06:57 PM
Anyone else here think that this looks more like the next Suburban than a HHR?? That looks like a mighty large vehicle to be getting hauled around by a 4 cylinder, even a 170 horsepower Ecotec.
Hopefully, that's just the way it's drawn so that it stands out, but yes, it does look pretty large for a Delta vehicle.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Dealers and more importantly salesmen...

have the brains of retarded clams.

I had an olds dealer in 1991 tell me that all GM's were going back to rear wheel drive.

This was at the height of their commitment to FWD technology. The Chairman at the time was Bob Stempel. He was the executive in charge of the first front wheel drive GM back in the 60's.

Simply put Dealers are stuipid and don't know a damned thing.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jun 29 2004, 12:52 PM
I can confirm that Chevrolet is going to produce the HHR, not the Nomad.
Boo! This is the worst idea Chevy has had in a long time. The Nomad was a smash hit.

5,934 Posts
Hey, if that's going to be the next Tahoe, Yukon, etc. I'm extremely stoked! That would be Epic !!!

:bounce:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Chevy does not need an HHR, ( I predict it will be a flop), Chevy needs something to compeate with the 05 Mustang (Camaro) and the 06 RWD Dodge Charger (Caprice/whatever they want to call it) and the Mini cooper (Nomad). That's what Chevy needs. Chevy is not going to do this and you will get an HHR cause a Chevy suit, is a Chevy suit, is a Chevy suit = DOPE.

·
Registered
809 Posts
WHY NOT THE NOMAD?!?!?!? I completely loved the Nomad concept. So what will Chevy use the Kappa for? I think the Kappa and Zeta platforms are probably two of the most important to come from GM in years, so why not use them? Chevy already has plenty of entry-level FWD vehicles (Cavalier and Aveo now, Cobalt at the end of the year), so why not give us an entry level RWD?? Why not take advantage of a thus-far very uncompetitive market w/ an entry level RWD instead of trying to get into what is going to be a niche market.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Jun 29 2004, 08:40 PM
Chevy does not need an HHR, ( I predict it will be a flop), Chevy needs something to compeate with the 05 Mustang (Camaro) and the 06 RWD Dodge Charger (Caprice/whatever they want to call it) and the Mini cooper (Nomad).
Agreed

·
Registered
48 Posts
personally I really don't think the HHR would sell well, since it's core target is the same as the Vibe/Matrix where utility at a reasonable price maes a sale. I think the retro thing basically worked for the PT cruiser because it was new and had that on it's side the HHR won't and I seriously think a different variant of Delta should have been considered instead of this pseudo-suburban on a diet.

Common GM wake up...

5,934 Posts
yoblues - easy, dude, easy...

Relax, I predict right now as we speak GM Designers are hard at work working to give us an '07 40th Anniv Camaro which will make us all proud. I only hope the '07 Camaro is smaller, lighter, with lines reminiscent of its 1969 cousin. The 'Stang has gone retro, with performance numbers which I believe, are very much contemporary. I only hope GM gives us an '07 Camaro which matches the 'Stangs "retro-ness". Oh the performance will be there !!!

IF the HHR is a hint at the styling cues we may see on the next gen Tahoe, Yukon, etc. that will be very welcome !!! Those lines will look REAL COOL (ie kick a$$) on a big rig like the Yukon, Tahoe. Could the Siverado be next with those lines? The F-250 and new Dodge P/U already have SOME of that going on.

Style, my boy. It's all about style. The quality is there, give us style.

:type:

:mf_boff:

:woot2:

5,934 Posts
Man, you guys are stoned.

The HHR has lines whcih are unlike anything out there, short the PT Cruiser, SSR. It's different than an Odessy, Sienna, Caravan, and gives consumers a "reason" to buy it over the other vehicles.

Sadly, today, consumers, even male consumers, need a "reason" to purchase something. This will give them a reason to purchase the HHR over the Sienna, Odessy, Caravan, etc. I like it. I think it's cool.

I've liked these "retro" lines for some time. Bringing back something which was once dead. It's very similar to the move in stadiums to make them "feel" like one is back in the 1930's or 40's. Like Seatttle's Safeco Field and "the Jake" for instance. Giving something soul. Yes, sheet metal can have soul. It's what is behind its design. If love and passion is behind it's design, it has soul. Conversely, putting something out there to make money is as cold as the steel it is made from. GM is putting passion into it's designs.

I like it. :D

·
Banned
895 Posts
GM could be spending its development money to make its interiors world class.

It doesn't.

GM could be spending its development money on engines that would be powerful, efficient, and reliable.

It isn't.

GM could be spending its development money on having the best handling, best looking, and highest quality products in each class.

It won't.

Instead it develops questionable models like the GTO, the SSR, and now the HHR.

Go figure.

The HHR is a product that isn't needed and offers no cache' in a halo effect.

The return of the Camaro could.

But GM won't go there.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts