SV6

--Cool Options--

Proformance Suspension
AWD independent rear suspension with automatic level control
Remote Start
Spolier
StabiliTrak
DVD rear seat
Ship through uplifter (I have no idea what this is :blink: )
HomeLink

--Powertrain--

3.5 Litre V6SFI 200HP 220 lb. of Troque

--Colors--

Sedona Biege
Dark Blue
Emerald Jewel
Stealth Gray
Luquid Silver
Sport Red
Summit White
Dark Broznemist

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Well, at least it has more horses than the 2003 Montana...let's just hope a supercharged model is in the works even if only for image against the import Minivans...that and much more modern and attractive (and functional) interiors than what the Montana currently has.

I wonder how much more this vehicle weighs than the Malibu -- that sports the same engine? Factoring in the AWD, of course.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Let's see: 200 HP from GM vs 215 from Dodge, 230 from Toyota, 240 from Honda, 245 from Nissan. Probably has a 4 speed auto to add insult to injury.

Sounds like a loser out of the gate. Sounds like the new minivans are another sure fire way for GM to remain marginally competitive and continue to lose market share.

Prediction: All the other bells and whistles this thing may have will be overshadowed by the HP deficit it brings to the table.

I see GM doing good on the high end of the market with some of the new Cadillacs and the upcoming Corvette, but where else are they competive? What a disappointment.

Mark

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by usa1@Nov 30 2003, 12:23 PM
Let's see: 200 HP from GM vs 215 from Dodge, 230 from Toyota, 240 from Honda, 245 from Nissan. Probably has a 4 speed auto to add insult to injury.

Sounds like a loser out of the gate. Sounds like the new minivans are another sure fire way for GM to remain marginally competitive and continue to lose market share.

Prediction: All the other bells and whistles this thing may have will be overshadowed by the HP deficit it brings to the table.

I see GM doing good on the high end of the market with some of the new Cadillacs and the upcoming Corvette, but where else are they competive? What a disappointment.

Mark
Oh yeah, because we know all minivan owners are looking for high HP and are worried about that over anything else..... :rolleyes:

Try again.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think if they drop the 3.5 for the 240hp 3.9 with a five speed auto, we'd really be getting close.
Add the DoD technology and let it get 26-28mpg and GM could steal the show.....the marketplace.....and be competition beating! (okay; 23-25mpg with AWD)

So long as it doesn't look like butt like the Buick and Saturn pics, we'll be good to go in the Pontiac department!

·
Registered
285 Posts

Yes, it's pretty sad when GM cars have less horsepower and torque than Hondas, and we try to make excuses for it. I distinctly recall GM promising the 3.9L engine in these so-called "sport vans".
So what is the advantage of owning a GM minivan over a Honda, or a Nissan? Not the horsepower/torque. Not the modern interior and exterior styling. Not a techy DOHC engine. Not a 5-speed auto. Not the reliability. Not the resale value. Not the fit & finish. Patriotic duty?
These GM minivans are losers on ALL ACCOUNTS, except the rebate game, and hopefully the price.
I don't need to test drive one - it's pretty obvious that these are Ventures with Rendezvous front ends and 2004 Malibu engines. Nuff said. These are about as earth-shaking as the 2003 restyled Cavalier. Goodbye GM minivan market share, hello imports.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by killerrd2@Nov 30 2003, 05:02 PM
I think if they drop the 3.5 for the 240hp 3.9 with a five speed auto, we'd really be getting close.
Add the DoD technology and let it get 26-28mpg and GM could steal the show.....the marketplace.....and be competition beating! (okay; 23-25mpg with AWD)
Unfortunately if Nsap's info is what GM intends to release, then this is not going to happen, and we'd have to be ultra-optimistic to hope for it.

I would be interested to see the difference between the Honda Odyssey engine in 1998, and the Venture in 1998, then fast forward to today.

I like the 3.5L engine in the Malibu, but I don't think it is up to the task of competing with what the other manufacturers have out there or have coming soon - maybe KIA and Ford. :(

The 3.5L is a "value" engine, and deserves a place in the engine bay of the "Value" model Venture, not the Montana SV6 "Sport Van".

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
SuperDave and TAFreak seem to be the wisest so far.

Like a lot of the vehicles GM is introducing, these are transitional until the Lambda-bodied vans come out. I agree with the decision not to leave Chevy and Pontiac sitting on Ventures and Transsports for the next 2 years.

That said, the 3500 OHV is already wholly competitive in the Malibu in terms of performance, and it is superior in segment-related qualities such as fuel economy, maintenance requirements, and drivability. In the heavier vans, the fatter power curve should only make it a better match. I'll wager that most van owners would rather have competitive power on regular gas than class-leading power at the expense of 20 cents a gallon, or also competitive power in the case of everything except the Nissan at the expense of 20 cents a gallon.

The 3.9 will make it to the van lineup, but everybody seems to forget that only the G6 will get it for the 2005 model year, and without DoD.

Dave and TA hit on the ultimate point when it comes to vans: Safety is the biggest priority in vans, followed closely by convenience, comfort, and onboard entertainment. That is where the Venture and Company lose out over the newer vans, and where they have a big opportunity to gain ground.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Originally posted by SuperDave479+Nov 30 2003, 12:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SuperDave479 @ Nov 30 2003, 12:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-usa1@Nov 30 2003, 12:23 PM
Let's see: 200 HP from GM vs 215 from Dodge, 230 from Toyota, 240 from Honda, 245 from Nissan.  Probably has a 4 speed auto to add insult to injury. 

Sounds like a loser out of the gate.  Sounds like the new minivans are another sure fire way for GM to remain marginally competitive and continue to lose market share. 

I see GM doing good on the high end of the market with some of the new Cadillacs and the upcoming Corvette, but where else are they competive?  What a disappointment.

Mark
Oh yeah, because we know all minivan owners are looking for high HP and are worried about that over anything else..... :rolleyes:

Try again. [/b][/quote]
Obviously not all minivan owners care about HP and 5 speed autos (someone above thought I was talking about a 5 speed manual I guess... sigh) since Chevrolet somehow manages to sell the Venture today.

My point is that if GM wants to gain marketshare, avoid $4K rebates to move metal, etc. it needs to bring out products that beat everyone and not the previous versions of its own products.

These new minivans will not help GM long term. They will see a boost in sale for the first year, just because the outgoing minivans are so out of date, but these new ones will not help get GM to 30% market share.

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
More HP and styling is badly needed to compete in the future. I just bought a Montana in August only because of the 0% financing and rebates. It's nothing to look at inside and could use 60 mo HP. We almost bought a Nissan. Some days I wish I would have, just for the styling. The Montana and it's siblings are designed for older people that don't like change, not 20 somethings with growing families.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts