GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Originally posted by babershah+Jan 24 2004, 09:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (babershah @ Jan 24 2004, 09:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SilverZ@Jan 25 2004, 02:59 AM
Allure is the Canadian version, Lacrosse the American.
I thought Allure was a name decided on for both markets??
Wouldn't it be hard to market the same car in countries so close??

Allure sounds cool. I hope this Buick is ALLURING!! LOL GET IT :eek: [/b][/quote]
no, I don't get it ;)

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Regarding the Century, I'm amazed that it has lasted this long! The Impala was redesigned in 2000, the Grand Prix in 2004 and the Intrigue was in a class by itself being introduced in 98. The poor old Century and regal are the oldest in the bunch being introduced in 97 and it really shows. Their interiors are outclassed by virtually every other midsize car, even a $17,000 Kia Optima! The Century still has the growly old 3100 engine when even GM's Chevy Impala has at least the 3400. And the Regal has that el-cheapo black hard plastic strip across the dash that may have been ok in 1990 but is now ludicrous. And to add insult to injury the regal is priced right up with some real polished players at $28-30k of which I won't mention. Don't get me wrong, the Buick W-bodies have some strong points too like the 3800 s/c engine and a well sorted suspension but the Century at $24-25k and a base Regal running upwards of 27grand with a few options is telling me that Buick had better do something pretty quick if it wants to remain competitive. Keeping the same old Century around till 05 seems like another bad GM idea.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
I am pretty sure GM is keeping Allure for both the entire North American market. They don't want to market the same car differently for different markets under different names. O well...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Originally posted by nsap+Jan 25 2004, 03:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nsap @ Jan 25 2004, 03:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 09:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SilverZ
@Jan 25 2004, 02:59 AM

Allure sounds cool. I hope this Buick is ALLURING!! LOL GET IT :eek:
no, I don't get it ;) [/b][/quote]
Buick Allure will be Alluring!!! Get it know

·
Registered
830 Posts
Originally posted by babershah+Jan 24 2004, 11:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (babershah @ Jan 24 2004, 11:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 25 2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 09:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-SilverZ
@Jan 25 2004, 02:59 AM

Allure sounds cool. I hope this Buick is ALLURING!! LOL GET IT :eek:

no, I don't get it ;)
Buick Allure will be Alluring!!! Get it know [/b][/quote]
He was being sarcastic. :mf_boff:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats the car I've seen at GM facilitys but I was hoping it wasn't the La Crosse thought I had hurd that it wouldn't look like the concept ( that was an beautiful car, to bad ) maby next time as sister cars with the chevy SS concept, they seamed close in size and forms. but this car might hurt the image of the name the concept car has given us.

·
Registered
790 Posts
this is a sad day. that looks way too cheap on the outside. but maybe in better light..... no im sorry i think i just lost all hope on the extirior of that car. i guess all there is to do is pray that this is in fact not the car they say it is.

i normaly wait for clear pics and different angles, but the nose on those new buicks are a major turnoff! its like they cant move forward with there design

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like the Rainer and I was hoping Buick would become more competitive, (RWD, Fresh Design, V-8), But from the looks of that photot, I sure wouldn't buy it. I can only hope it looks better in person.

Everybody wants to be a Benz, even KIA

·
Registered
164 Posts
I really hope this is not a Pontiac Grand Prix clone!!!! :( :angry:
Buick needs something different, something upscale and something
with a great exterior. Buick designs need to be soft, clean lines

Pontiac is GM excitement brand
Cadillac is the luxury brand
Chevy I think is their junk brand, their interiors are horrible
GMC is a truck based brand
Oldsmobile is dead :(
Saab is a brother to Volvo BOTH SWEDISH :D
Saturn is being transformed right now, they are going to me OPEL USA by 2008

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Originally posted by babershah@Jan 25 2004, 11:46 AM
I really hope this is not a Pontiac Grand Prix clone!!!! :( :angry:
Buick needs something different, something upscale and something
with a great exterior. Buick designs need to be soft, clean lines

Pontiac is GM excitement brand
Cadillac is the luxury brand
Chevy I think is their junk brand, their interiors are horrible
GMC is a truck based brand
Oldsmobile is dead :(
Saab is a brother to Volvo BOTH SWEDISH :D
Saturn is being transformed right now, they are going to me OPEL USA by 2008
<_< Chevrolet is certainly NOT junk, they are GM's family brand...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well, maybe Chevrolet is not such a bad brand, since Chevy will be getting redesign SUVs and cars by 2006 (Tahoe, Impala, Suburban)

IF YOU really want a junkie brand, think of KIA :laughbounce:

·
Registered
18 Posts
GM is cutting off the production of many of their 2004 models extremely early this year (Mar-Apr) and starting production of the 2005 models early. The effected models are mostly the ones which will be replaced in the fall with new designs (Cavalier, Century, etc). GM says that this will give their dealers the opportunity to sell 2005 models through the summer against other makes 2004 models. This is probably the reason we're seeing a 2005 Century when the Lacrosse/Allure/? is coming out later this year to replace it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
:rolleyes:

wake me up when Buick actually builds something exciting again.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
315 Posts
2005 Century will be mostly fleet sales... oh wait, that was the 2002, no wait the 2003, no wait, the 2004.....

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I think there are too many negative comments about the new Lacrosse floating out here. Remember, we haven't seen any really good pictures yet. There is ONE clear pic from TCC, the rest are very poor in quality. I think that the Lacrosse will do well against the target ES330 if it has a good interior. Remember that the Lexus ES330 has a "snout" nose and people love it. I think Buick is doing the right thing by trying to bring their style away from the middle ground where no one has anything to say about it. Polarizing is the key phrase here. The fact that there have been so many opinions means that they are on the right track. Let's just hope there are more positive opinions.

I think the success of the Lacross will depend heavily on the final pricing and the quality of the interior. If Buick sells a loaded Lacrosse for $30K, offers a high quality interior with real wood trim and navigation and a multivalve engine... then they will have a huge success on their hands.

I will be first in line to buy one.

I can't wait to see some more pics... I guess we will have to wait until next week....

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
No big surprise...

The last Century ran from 1982 to 1996, with minor changes.

Wow! From the Reagan to the Clinton administration!

If 2005 is the last year for the Century....It will be leaving kind of early..only 8 years on the market!

It should stay around until 2011, like before.

Why not make it the "Cavalier" of the Buick line...pile on a bunch of rebates..lower the base price..make it the least expensive mid-size car in the US.

·
Registered
248 Posts
That's not a bad idea. I'm against using the Century as it exists now, but maybe if they redesigned it off of the Epsilon platform? That way people who wanted a Buick but couldn't afford a LaCrosse/Allure/Whatever or people who want to "try a brand out" with a cheaper model could go to the Century(Epsilon).

21 - 40 of 42 Posts