GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
880 Posts
Originally posted by crippler22@Nov 24 2003, 10:06 PM
I for one am glad that GM is keeping the 3800 around. Lets face it, the 3800 is a bullet prof engine. It gets great fuel economy, its reliable, and makes good power. If anything I think GM should invest in updating the 3800 with VVT and DOD.
Here Here!!!

The 3800 is a kick-*** engine. I don't see why a brand new 3.6L with more stuff to go wrong should be offered than the 3800 which has had many years of reliability and more than enough time for GM to make it the great engine it is.

If anything a Buick needs to be reliable, which is why the 3800 is the perfect engine. Besides how many Buick owners have even heard of VVT anyways?

· Registered
880 Posts
Originally posted by Ultimate@Nov 26 2003, 05:57 PM
funny you should mention improving the 3.8.. because that is what GMs new 3.9L is... it has VVT, and will in the future have have DOD. Oh and its a low end torque monster.

It will appear first in the g6.
Actually the 3800 is a cutoff of the old Buick small block, so its a 90 degree V6. The new 3.9L is part of GM's new Global V6 engine family and is based on a 60 degree block. So the 3.9L is a completely new engine :) Although it does improve on GM's large powerful V6 offerings. The 3.9L is also much narrower than the 3800 because it's a 60 degree engine, which is why it will be offered in smaller cars like the G6.

Does anyone know how long the 3800 is still going to be produced?

· Registered
880 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Dec 4 2003, 04:11 PM
A leopard dosen't change it's spots and neither does a GM beancounting/suit. Thats why they are using the 3.8 in a new Buick. These people never had and never will have a brain. The people at Toyota and Honda must laugh their asses off at these incompitent boobs.
Enough about the bean counters already. Yes the 3800 is cheap to build, but you're forgetting that its also reliable, smooth, and torquey!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.