GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GMI Scoop: The Aztek
By: NSAP

The Aztek. That is probably one of the most identifiable Pontiacs in history. It has been dubbed the ugliest Pontiac in history style wise, but is actually praised in other areas. Pontiac says that the Aztek is in a segment of its own, a Sport Recreational Vehicle. I myself could never figure out anything about that vehicle that was in its own segment, other than the design! There is really nothing I like about the design of the Aztek, but no matter how much you hate the Aztek design, you have to admit that the design is very useful. Like the rear, it is basically ALL window, which makes objects behind you very visible. However, the interior on the other hand is very nice, things like the cooler consol, and radio controls in the rear hatch are very useful! Whether you like it or not, at least there are no re-badges of it in other GM brands! From what everyone has said and heard, the Aztek is on its last year of life, leaving a spot for a Theta-based vehicle to replace it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GMI News: Around the Industry
By: TaHoE
The Hummer H2

Though many may no like this mammoth of an SUV, it has purpose and a bad-arse attitude. Initially as sales began last year, the H2's sales soared and GM saw a hit on its hands. However as the years went by, it became more evident that the H2 was only meant for serious off-road duty and not as a daily grocery getter as a majority of its owners have used it as. Sales have reflected this. Sales of the Hummer H2 sport utility are down and it doesn't look like there is much hope in the future. With gasoline prices skyrocketing this summer and a major complaints being that the H2 has poor fuel economy, this does not look good. One possible solution would be to power the H2 with either a Diesel engine (which is not planned for production yet) or use the Silverado's Hybrid-Assist which would use the electric motor as a sort of "back-up" energy source which would power the front wheels if the H2 needs the additional power. Another possible solution would be to equip the H2 with Displacement on Demand, however benefits from this would be unlikely since the H2 is extremely heavy, and the 6.0L engine labors hard to get the H2 moving, as seen in its dismal fuel economy. We can only hope for the best for our Hummer friend.

The Chevrolet Cobalt:

Upon this little car's strut braces is essentially GM's future in the compact segment, if an all new car doesn't do it, nothing will. Though the new Cobalt looks extremely promising with its numerous trim levels, engine options and interior styles, I still don't see it beating out the Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla as "Editor's Choice" in many import-minded magazines. The interior designs are very attractive and the exterior (as much as it is a rip-off of the last generation Civic) is too. However what exclusives does the Cobalt offer? Can the unattractive coupe steal sales away from Honda's Civic? Personally I don't think so, though it is a HUGE improvement over the Cavalier, it doesn't have the personality or segment leading features as say, the Mazda 3. But we will have to see, the Cobalt may make the competitors blue with sadness.

The Cadillac STS

Soft yet Sharp, Large yet Sporty. This is the transition Cadillac, from hard razor sharp lines, to softened curves as displayed on the Cadillac Sixteen concept car. The STS will feature a VVT V-6 engine producing 260 HP and a Northstar V-8 with at least 320HP. It will be between the size of BMW's 5 and 7 series sedans. In 2006 Cadillac will produce a STS-V with a Twin Turbocharged Northstar V-8 with over 400HP. Look for Caddy to take over the lead in luxury with the new STS, though I am afraid the STS will blend into the background and become just another me-too luxury automobile.

The Buick LaCrosse

I must say there is something about the LaCrosse that intrigues me. It has athletic lines and body stance of a sports car (similar to that of its cousin and platform-mate the Grand Prix) but the LaCrosse is more refined, more luxurious, well just more Buick-like. And though being a Buick may be a bad thing for some people right now, I believe LaCrosse will lead Buick onto that talkshow which is about former geeks turned hotties...we'll just have to wait and see...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Mar 7 2004, 02:55 PM

The Chevrolet Cobalt:

Upon this little car's strut braces is essentially GM's future in the compact segment, if an all new car doesn't do it, nothing will.

* keep the price down, cheaper than a civic or corrola.

The Cadillac STS

:woot2: Cadillac will produce a STS-V with a Twin
Turbocharged Northstar V-8 with over 400HP. :woot2:

* i beleive the next gen M-5 is getting a 500hp v10. im hopping when you say over 400. you mean 450+, unless its with AWD.

The Buick LaCrosse

I must say there is something about the LaCrosse that intrigues me. It has athletic lines and body stance of a sports car (similar to that of its cousin and platform-mate the Grand Prix) but the LaCrosse is more refined, more luxurious, well just more Buick-like.

* really cant wait to see this in person. i like the lines of the car. cant wait to see more redesigns in the buick department. :p
:D

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't see any possible advanatge to the Cobalt besides price and the availability of a coupe.

The three displacement engine lineup is unique AFAIK in North America, but Toyota and Ford for instance have three different power outputs, even if the displacement is the same in some bases (e.g. the normal 2.0 Focus engine and the super-clean one, the normal Carolla 1.8 and the upcomming high power version from the Matrix, etc.).

The Focus was miles ahead of Toyota/Honda when it came out (in terms of performance, packageing, style, handeling, price, etc.) and has been raved about by every publication under the sun, yet it hasn't even caught up to the big two in terms of the price it can ask and sales volume. How the Cobalt is going to do (perhapse) equaling the Japanese what Ford hasn't done (yet) topping them I don't know.

Also where's the wagon? The 5-door hatch? The 3-door hatch? All these were critically important in growing Focus marketshare in areas the Japanese had abandoned (again this is why I say the coupe is the Cobalt's only qualitative advanatge).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Also it's a shame the way GM screwed up Hummer. What could have been a Jeep or even a Land Rover for them is now probably going to be killed off after the first generation of vehicles.

·
Registered
131 Posts
We do not want the Hummer to be more like a Land Rover. They are the most over-appreciated brand out there. The buyers just don't what to admit they have bought a $80,000 lemon.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by stewacide@Mar 7 2004, 11:09 PM

Also where's the wagon? The 5-door hatch? The 3-door hatch? All these were critically important in growing Focus marketshare in areas the Japanese had abandoned (again this is why I say the coupe is the Cobalt's only qualitative advanatge).
I don't see any possible advanatge to the Cobalt besides price and the availability of a coupe.
Its got many killer power options, from a 140hp 2.2 ecote, to a 170hp VVT ecotec(which is as much power as the SVT Focus has I belive) and a supercharged 205hp 2.0 which is only 2nd to teh Neon, which is a strait up super compact.

The three displacement engine lineup is unique AFAIK in North America, but Toyota and Ford for instance have three different power outputs, even if the displacement is the same in some bases (e.g. the normal 2.0 Focus engine and the super-clean one, the normal Carolla 1.8 and the upcomming high power version from the Matrix, etc.).
so you have a high strung motor, a higher strung motor, and the highest strung motor? 1.8 thats in the Vibe, Matrix and others make 180hp at like... 7k rpm.

The Focus was miles ahead of Toyota/Honda when it came out (in terms of performance, packageing, style, handeling, price, etc.) and has been raved about by every publication under the sun, yet it hasn't even caught up to the big two in terms of the price it can ask and sales volume. How the Cobalt is going to do (perhapse) equaling the Japanese what Ford hasn't done (yet) topping them I don't know
Focus was also miles ahead of toyota and honda in recalls. What was it, something like 16 in the first few months?'

The Cobalt is going to do very well, but they really need to sell it like the Honda does the Civic and Mazda the 3.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by MTRANS@Mar 7 2004, 07:36 PM
We do not want the Hummer to be more like a Land Rover. They are the most over-appreciated brand out there. The buyers just don't what to admit they have bought a $80,000 lemon.
I think the Hummer itself is fine. The H2 is not a logical vehicle by any stretch. Something more akin to the Jeep would've been the way to go with the brand - something that can be driven daily without having to spend more on gas in a year than some people spend on their cars. A $20-30k offroad-capable but daily drivable vehicle with the Hummer name could be a solid seller. But it can't be a truck, or a jeep, or another re-badged SUV. It's got to be pure Hummer and not something slightly modified from another brand. I'm not sure how feasible this would really be, considering the development costs, but I think it'd be a hell of a lot more acceptable to the general public than the H2, which to more and more people feels like a mistake.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Toyota/Honda i4s are way too high-strung, power, and especially torque defecient. Ford/Mazda (with the new 2.3) and GM (with the 2.4) are taking the lead in this respect.

However another defeciency of the Cobalt just came to me which is the lack of AWD. This is another profitable niche abandoned by Toyota/Honda which is being expoited by smaller players like Subaru, and Mitsu', and soon Mazda. I don't understand why GM didn't think to design AWD into the Delta (and Epsilon) platform - especially for Saab.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the Hummer itself is fine. The H2 is not a logical vehicle by any stretch. Something more akin to the Jeep would've been the way to go with the brand - something that can be driven daily without having to spend more on gas in a year than some people spend on their cars. A $20-30k offroad-capable but daily drivable vehicle with the Hummer name could be a solid seller. But it can't be a truck, or a jeep, or another re-badged SUV. It's got to be pure Hummer and not something slightly modified from another brand. I'm not sure how feasible this would really be, considering the development costs, but I think it'd be a hell of a lot more acceptable to the general public than the H2, which to more and more people feels like a mistake.
I think the upcoming H3 meets most of your criteria. It'll be the first and hopefully only SUV based on the Colorado/Canyon platform, and priced in the 30k range. It'll likely get the inline-5, so gas mileage will be decent.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by DCL@Mar 8 2004, 07:51 AM
I think the upcoming H3 meets most of your criteria. It'll be the first and hopefully only SUV based on the Colorado/Canyon platform, and priced in the 30k range. It'll likely get the inline-5, so gas mileage will be decent.
30K is pushing it for the kind of vehicle I'm talking about though. It'd really be nice to see it compete head-on with the Jeep, but oh well.

As for AWD on the Cobalt... Ford could easily have added that to the Focus (just look at how much room there is underneath one of those), but they have not done so. It should at least be an option for both the Cobalt and Focus, and it would draw in a lot of additional buyers. I haven't seen underneath a Cobalt yet (obviously) so I can't say how hard it would be to implement, but it's something GM should really think about doing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE@Mar 7 2004, 02:55 PM
Whether you like it or not, at least there are no re-badges of it in other GM brands!
Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's the Buick Rendevous a rebadge of the Aztek... just a bit better disguised in its sheetmetal?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Originally posted by awalbert88@Mar 8 2004, 03:13 PM

As for AWD on the Cobalt... Ford could easily have added that to the Focus (just look at how much room there is underneath one of those), but they have not done so.  It should at least be an option for both the Cobalt and Focus, and it would draw in a lot of additional buyers.  I haven't seen underneath a Cobalt yet (obviously) so I can't say how hard it would be to implement, but it's something GM should really think about doing.
Whether there's room or not AWD is really something you have to do from the start. Even if it can be re-engineered after the fact that will mean redesigning the whole production process as well which would be very expensive. The new Focus platform (which the Mazda3 is based on) has AWD but not the old once which they're keeping for the North American Focus. Shame.

(FYI they did build the AWD Freelander off the old Focus platform - but it's only barely based on it)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Mar 8 2004, 05:46 PM
The NEXT generation Freelander (still two years away) will be based on a Ford platform, but not the Focus. The current Freelander is not on a Ford platform at all.
I think you're right. I don't know where I heard that...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Its built on the Volvo SUV. I just don't know the name of it.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
The next Freelander (or the current one, for that matter) is not based on a Volvo chassis. The current Freelander was a Rover design dating back before BMW took over the company. The next one will be based on Ford's new (European) mid-sized chassis and not the P2X platform which is under the Volvo XC90 (as well as the S60, V70, XC70, and S80).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts