GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Announcing GMI's Bi-Weekly Update: By TaHoE and NSAP
Every Two weeks NSAP and TaHoE will review cars from all over GM, this week the have reviewed the 2004 Chevrolet Colorado

------------------------------------------------
GMI Reviews: 2004 Chevrolet Colorado
Bolder and much MUCH better
By: TaHoE

The 2004 Chevrolet Colorado is already on sale and its causing heads to turn everywhere. The Colorado is listed as a Compact Truck (Same size as the S-10) according to the EPA, but it doesn’t feel like it on the inside, because as Chevrolet loves to say: “Everything is Bigger in Colorado.” But is everything better in Colorado? Well you’ll just have to read on to find out!

Power:
The Colorado that I test drove was powered by GM’s 3.5L I-5 Engine. The I-5 produces [email protected] and 225lb/[email protected] The I-5 is very smooth at idle, however at high speeds it starts to buzz, but nothing that would annoy the common customer. The Colorado accelerates quickly and easily. I could only imagine how this truck would perform with a Turbo-I-5 and a 6-speed stick, definitely would be an awesome Colorado SS.

Styling:

One word: Brutish! The Colorado is aggressive, yet stately. Its like a hot looking babe in a very nice dress (or for the ladies on the site: Me in a tux :p ) Anyways, the Colorado always attracts attention where it goes, and its always positive. The bold styling in the front carries through to the heavily sculpted shoulders of the front wheel fenders and carries the theme on to the rear with its large tail lamps. Though the Colorado does look similar to its older brother the Silverado, it looks less mature and younger. The Colorado is easily one of the best looking trucks ever to appear on the US shores, and easily more appealing than the Frontier or the Dakota.

Interior:

GM’s truck interiors have not been known for their luxuriousness. The last attractive design that came out of GM’s interior sketchers that I can remember is the 1996 Tahoe’s, but this one beats it. Its design is simple and straightforward, the dials are large and done of the pieces feel flimsy. Materials are debatable but most are friendly to the touch. The only object in the interior that I really didn’t like at all was the Steering wheel. It looked like it had been taken off an Aveo, and for such a small vehicle the Steering wheel did feel quite large. My particular Colorado came with leather seats, which I must say were quite wide. For such a small truck, I was perplexed as to how they fit these huge seats inside. Other than the steering wheel, nothing was really wrong with the interior.

Overall the Colorado is an amazing performer and easily the best in its class. With its surprisingly strong chassis, great handling characteristics, powerful engine choices and flawless (well nearly) interior, the Colorado surpasses all expectations. How does the Colorado manage to do all this, well it comes at a price. Base prices will obviously not apply to most people and adding options makes the prices rise steeply, but you do get what you pay for which is the best compact truck on the market.
--------------------------------------------

Main Competitors: Ford Ranger, Mazda Truck, Dodge Dakota, Toyota Tacoma, and Nissan Frontier

Pros: Extremely fun to drive, powerful engines, lots of choices, good interior design
Cons: Some interior materials are negotiable, prices climb easily, not many creature comforts

Overall Rating: 4.0/5.0
--------------------------------------------------------------

Car Specifications:

2004 Chevrolet Colorado Z71 Crew Cab LS

• Crew Cab• Short Box• 4WD

Z71 LS 1SE• 3.5L DOHC in-line five cylinder engine • Four-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with overdrive • Z71 4x4 Off-Road Suspension Package includes P265/75R-15 tires and 15" cast-aluminum wheels; locking rear differential; functional Smoke Gray wheel flares and grille; monotube shocks; recovery hooks and skid plate

Exterior: Dark Cherry Red Metallic

Interior: Medium Dark Pewter Deluxe Cloth
Seat Type: Seats, front reclining buckets, includes manual recliners, center console with storage and armrest

• Air conditioning, front manual (C60) $0.00
• Comfort Convenience Package, Tilt-Wheel and cruise control (ZQ3) $0.00
• Differential, automatic, | locking, rear (G80) $0.00
• Engine, 3.5L DOHC,, 5-cylinder, MFI (220 HP [164.1 kW] @ 5600 rpm, 225 lb.-ft. [303.7 N-m] @ 2800 rpm) (L52) $0.00
• Floor covering, color-keyed carpeting (B30) $0.00
• Fog lamps, front, | halogen (T96) $0.00
• Glass, Solar-Ray deep tinted, (all windows except light tinted glass on windshield, driver and front passenger) (AJ1) $0.00
• Mirror, inside rearview, electrochromic (light-sensitive auto dimming), includes map lights, compass and outside temperature indicator (DF8) $175.00
• Moldings, bodyside, Dark Smoke Gray (B84) $0.00
• Pickup box, Fleetside, all-welded steel with double wall construction and corrosion protection with 8 cargo tie-downs and tailgate, locking, 2-position (E63) $0.00
• Power Convenience Package, | includes power windows and door locks, programmable; mirrors, outside, driver and passenger; keyless entry, remote and mirrors, inside rearview (ZQ6) $500.00
• Rear axle, 4.10 ratio (GT5) $0.00
• Recovery hooks, 2 front, frame-mounted, | (V76) $0.00
• Regular production accessory, Splash guards, molded, Dark Smoke Gray (SPO-supplied, dealer installed) (VH4) $0.00
• SOLID PAINT (ZY1) $0.00
• Seats, rear 2nd row, | flat-folding (AM4) $0.00
• Skid plate, | composite shield protecting transfer case (NZZ) $0.00
• Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with 6-disc CD changer, includes seek-and-scan, digital clock and auto-tone control, speed compensated volume, TheftLock and Radio Data System (RDS) and 6-speakers (UC6) $395.00
• Tire, spare P235/75R15, all-season, blackwall, located at rear underbody of vehicle (ZFL) $0.00
• Transmission, 4-speed automatic, electronically controlled with overdrive (M30) $0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------
Vehicle: 2004 Colorado
Selected Style: Z71 Crew Cab 4x4

Exterior: Dark Cherry Red Metallic
Interior: Medium Dark Pewter Deluxe Cloth

Total MSRP:* $28,365.00
MSRP: $26,955.00
Color & Options: $1,410.00
Dealer Installed: $0.00

Comments on Colorado
By: NSAP
A benchmark in an American Revolution

The other day I got the chance to drive a Colorado Sport and what a surprise it was. I appoligize for the shoert review, it has been a terribly busy week, along with goin on vacation tommorow (Friday). Anyway, I drove a Colorado Sport Ext cab. I liked everything about the truck, seriously. Design wise I find the truck very aggersive and attractive. Although I do find the interior to look a tiny bit cheap looking, but certianlyabig improvement over past trucks. It is very impressively rugged, I did not take it offroading, but from what I have heard and seen it looks like it could easily go offroading with a Silverado.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The Colorado's front looks like a big smile. 'Positive' is the word for it, NSAP and Tahoe!
---Anyway, good review! I'm not a truck fan, never will be, but its glad to know that the compact truck market is going good for Chevrolet. The Colorado is sure to be a hit. Hey, someone actually complimented the Colorado's outside styling.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
There are things about the Colorado to like like the exterior styling, but admit it guys, the interior sucks. Don't try to sugar coat it. It's from the same gang of former Fisher Price guys that do the other truck interiors at GM. Cheap looking plastic, cheap looking buttons and switches, cheap looking gaps.

Why can't they just put a car interior in the things? I know GM designs the trucks interiors to be used by guys with leather gloves on, but since when should this 1% of the population lower the interior standards for everyone? This type of thinking is why the Cadillac Escalade has the cheap Tahoe interior that is poorly covered with wood pieces.

Maybe GM should have two types of truck interiors. They certainly need it for their large truck line. Make the pickup trucks one type (cheap I guess) and make the SUV one a proper interior.

We all know GM can make a good interior. Their cars are showing great progess, but the truck guys in GM seem to be about 20 years behind the curve.

Mark

·
Registered
520 Posts
In April of 2003 I purchased a new Yellow S10. It's a single cab with the sport side bed. It's equipped with the ZQ8 package (1SC), power group, 4300 Vortec, auto transmission, pretty much loaded. I knew the Colorado was on the way, but I loved the styling of this truck and I figured I could get a great deal on it. And I did get a nice deal. A couple months ago I went to a local dealership and test drove a Colorado almost identical to my truck (as far as options). It was a red single cab with the I5, auto transmission, ZQ8 suspension and power everything. To say the Colorado is an improvement over the S10 is an understatement. The Colorado is 200% better than the S10. Also, the Colorado was only about $600 more (Sticker). Before I made a mile in the Colorado the regret set in. Everytime I see a Colorado now, I just shake my head.
Oh well, my 2003 yellow S10 and 1998 bright green metallic Camaro make a good pair anyway.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I test drove an extended cab, Z71 2WD Colorado with the I5/auto, and I liked it a lot. The ride was firm, but the truck was very tight - no rattles or quivers at all. I thought the power could be a bit better, but the engine had about 10 miles on it, so I'm sure it would improve, and it had the 3.42 rear end.

My recommendation to anyone considering a Colorado/Canyon would be to go with the shorter axle ratios, like the 3.73, or even the 4.10 on 4WDs, especially if you are going to tow anything. I think the I4/I5 are powerful enough, but they do need to spin faster than the 4.3. They are built for it, so let them run faster.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by GMI Editorial@Mar 21 2004, 03:40 PM
Cons: prices climb easily
that's what troubles me! appears to be a fantastic little truck, but it's pretty spartan in base form (understandable, for work-truck purposes). here in canada i've seen several 4-door versions at $40,000! that's crazy money for what is still a compact truck (albeit a very impressive one)! very nice though... great review... i suppose something mid-pack (price and option-wise) would make a great little truck.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I dont see this problem with price? I did one of thoes build-your-own on Chevy.com. I got the sport model in a standard cab. 3.5 I5 witht he 5spd. I got the cloth seats, 6cd changer with the XM radio in it for around 20k? I dont consider that expensive. I think thats pretty damn good for what I got with the car. Maybe the larger 4x4 trucks are more expensive, but my sport model was pretty cheap.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I also do not see a problem with the price. As I stated above a similarly equipped Colorado sport to my 2003 S10 (ZQ8) was only $600 more. The Colorado had a couple features not found on my S10.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts