GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevrolet Cobalt: Chevrolet Rests on this Little Guy’s Shoulders!
By TaHoE
6/13/2004
gminsidenews.com

There was a time when Chevrolet had a fresh new competitor in the compact game, but that was back when the beloved Ronald Reagan was President. Since then the Cavalier’s freshness date has come and gone, and gone…and gone. However, the Cavalier’s replacement looks extremely promising. It is upon those little struts, that Chevrolet’s future and respectability in the compact automotive world lies.

From an exterior standpoint, the Cobalt is disheartening. It’s far from ugly, but also far from original. It uses obvious styling cues from the previous generation Honda Civic in order to attract new customers, but the overall styling is bland and boring. The SS adds a lower stance and a more aggressive fascia, but it still doesn’t impress me. The SS Supercharged adds a ricey wing and even more add-ons, the only thing that is truly original and stylish are the 18” wheels, they are simply gorgeous. I just hope that the Cobalt will be able to stand out in the real world where competitors like the Mazda 3 offer more attractive styling, styling that will drive people into showrooms.

Sitting inside the Cobalt however turns the tables around. Looking at the pictures of the LT and SS (S) models one can tell that Chevy really took their time and did their research. The interior looks like something Cadillac would have produced maybe 5 years ago. Everything seems to me in the right place and materials seem amazing. (Other than the dinky steering wheel). But it looks as Chevy is really putting an attempt at capturing the compact market with the Cobalt. It looks promising, but then again so did the Ion, until it came out. I just hope its driving dynamics are respectable. When my GP lease is up I plan on getting something smaller and more fuel-efficient. My two choices right now are the Solstice and the Cobalt SS Supercharged (If there was some way of replacing that wing).

I would really like to see what the Cobalt has to offer though before I make my final decision. Solstice is sportier, but the Cobalt has a lot more room. Well all I know is that if GM wants to send any Cobalt up to this devotee in New York, then he would be glad to test drive their car for a few days and give his fellow avid GM fans a notable review. Good Luck GM!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Very true. Now I can only hope that the "2005 Cavalier" I see up on Yahoo! autos and rumored on the web is only going to be a limited run until the Cobalt production numbers are satisfactory.

If not - the Cavalier lives on like the Zombie that would not die, and the Cobalt becomes a kind of Beretta.

Still, a very important car for Chevy.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ehh...I think I'm the only one at GM that happened to be impressed by the Cobalt. I think it is a great improvement, and so do you, but I think of it as more than that. The only cars sub-20K right now that prove to be original is the Mazda3. The Cobalt proves to be original to me, not bringing out the bland styling, and going the other way of Ford, Honda, and Toyota. Chevy is going the way of the 3 from Mazda, making it original.

·
Registered
89 Posts
you cant get an SS without that spoiler?

the ION redline spoiler is an option, and I almost kind of prefer the looks of the ION to the Cobalt..

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I LOVE those wheels. I dont think the Cobalt is boring at all, at least in SS trim. the base sedan is pretty sedate, but thats what sells in that market. The interior is great though. I think most people who post in this forum are jaded, same thing for the autoweek CC forum, everything that isnt completely butt ugly seems to be called boring.

I really dont see what is so great about the Mazda 3 compared to the Cobalt.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
:lol:
You all like the new Astra which is built on the same platform.
So I've got a proposal.Take the Astra and give us the Cobalt...

·
Registered
122 Posts
This car WILL sell if properly advertized by Chevy and supported local dealers.

GM SHOULD GIVE THIS CAR TO A FEW NOTABLE DRFITERS AND IMPORT CUSTOMER MAGS TO TRICK OUT FOR ADVERTISING

I may buy one (minus the spoiler) for a daily driver provided the mileage is good, everything else is GOOD B)

·
Registered
316 Posts
i think it's a nice car also. i heard though that the SS supercharged will only be available with a 5 speed, not 6. what gives? i think all of its competitors have 6 speeds...so chevy is missing out big on that.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by leadfoot85@Jun 13 2004, 01:42 PM
GM SHOULD GIVE THIS CAR TO A FEW NOTABLE DRFITERS AND IMPORT CUSTOMER MAGS TO TRICK OUT FOR ADVERTISING
This is a great idea. Considering how much GM gives away on incentives for Cavaliers, 5-10 Cobalts for different magazines and tuner houses to mess with would be cheap.

·
Banned
895 Posts
I have read that this Cobalt is merely a Saturn Ion with some new skin. Both share the same basic platform.

That is unfortunate. The Ion is a cramped mediocre vehicle that thankfully did not donate its horrendous interior to the Cobalt. The Cobalt's exterior styling is as bland as that woman judge on American Idol is stupid. I'm not sold on the interior of the Cobalt mainly because Chevrolet has been home to some of the ugliest interiors on the market and the quality of the materials had better improve before we can applaud the "improved' looks.

The four door Cobalt is plain ugly. Awkward styling from ever angle and on its best day, it is merely bland. The two door looks like a Cavalier and that isn't a compliment. Toss in some Nissan and you've got on design that won't move anyone to say "I've just got to have one!"

Chevy can stuff all the power enhancements they want into the Cobalt, but they've got to prove that this car is safer than the Cavalier (one of the deadliest vehicles in the two door form from a side impact aspect). Maybe Chevy is now shifting its emphasis from building lousy and ugly cars to good ugly cars.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Im not seeing a lot of the Cavi or Civic in this car? The overall car doesnt look anything like either of the 2. I think its a very unique car and I think it will fair quite well against the 3. I wish that the coupe was really a hatch. I hope that Pontiac makes a Delta hatch.
and if I had to pick Solstice or Cobalt...Solstice by a long shot.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I think the Cobalt coupe is good looking. The sedan is ok until you look at the Chevy Metro look alike butt!
I just hope it drives better than the competition and that the interior really does have better materials all over, not just the dash. Oh yeah, GM, give us a locking glove compartment for pete's sake. ;)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Originally posted by laserwizard@Jun 14 2004, 01:06 AM
I have read that this Cobalt is merely a Saturn Ion with some new skin. Both share the same basic platform.

well um, sharing the same basic platform isnt exactly the same thing as having different sheet metal.

The STS, CTS, and SRX share the same basic platform. They are not all that similar.

The Malibu, Saab 9-3, and Pontiac G6 share the same basic platform. They are all very different cars. I dont think anyone will say the Malibu and 9-3 drive anything alike.

arent the Vue and the Nox also on Delta?

Keep in mind the Lincoln LS and the Jag S-type are also "merely reskinned".

I dont think the Cobalt and the Ion are going to be anything alike.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by GM_Guy81+Jun 13 2004, 10:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (GM_Guy81 @ Jun 13 2004, 10:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-laserwizard@Jun 14 2004, 01:06 AM
I have read that this Cobalt is merely a Saturn Ion with some new skin.  Both share the same basic platform.

well um, sharing the same basic platform isnt exactly the same thing as having different sheet metal.

The STS, CTS, and SRX share the same basic platform. They are not all that similar.

The Malibu, Saab 9-3, and Pontiac G6 share the same basic platform. They are all very different cars. I dont think anyone will say the Malibu and 9-3 drive anything alike.

arent the Vue and the Nox also on Delta?

Keep in mind the Lincoln LS and the Jag S-type are also "merely reskinned".

I dont think the Cobalt and the Ion are going to be anything alike. [/b][/quote]
Vue/Nox/Torrent are on Theta, not delta. Delta underpins Cobalt/Ion/Astra/HHR

5,934 Posts
Looks like a VERY strong competitor in the small car market, something GM has needed for a while. It would be nice to get the Pontiac Pursuit in this country also, however.

It'll be nice to get some of those Kia's and Hyundias off the road.

:lol: :rolleyes: :D :bounce:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't see the Honda influence, the roof lines and the shape in general is Cavi like, but come on it's the Cavi replacement-ish!!

i don't see the big deal on the Mazda 3 either. Both the SS and SS s/c outpower them. The base model may put the same amount of power to the wheels as the 3.
The style is not all that "original" either...

And the SRT-4 has a 5 speed, so no "where's the 6 speed" talk anymore,

This car has definately etched itself in my mind, and come fall 04' I am defineately going to try my best to get one, even if it's "just" the SS package.

Both interior and exterior are astonishing, the power and drivetrain are proven performers and the suspension sounds like it will deliver the goods...

What's not to like, besides the high profiler spoiler???????????????????????????????

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by MalibuZ31@Jun 14 2004, 11:53 AM
I don't see the Honda influence, the roof lines and the shape in general is Cavi like, but come on it's the Cavi replacement-ish!!

i don't see the big deal on the Mazda 3 either. Both the SS and SS s/c outpower them. The base model may put the same amount of power to the wheels as the 3.
The style is not all that "original" either...

And the SRT-4 has a 5 speed, so no "where's the 6 speed" talk anymore,

This car has definately etched itself in my mind, and come fall 04' I am defineately going to try my best to get one, even if it's "just" the SS package.

Both interior and exterior are astonishing, the power and drivetrain are proven performers and the suspension sounds like it will deliver the goods...

What's not to like, besides the high profiler spoiler???????????????????????????????
The Overall shape may be Cavalier-ish, however the Front Facia is Previous Gen Civic ALL the Way.
The Mazda 3 is not boaring or bland. Its very obvious that Mazda took the Protege replacement seriously. Have you ever sat in the 3? It easily outshines the Class leader Corolla. You cannot say that the SS and SS(S) Out power the Cobalt because the MazdaSpeed 3 Has not been released yet. Its like comparing the CTS-V to a 325i, it just doesn't match up.
Don't get me wrong, the Cobalt shows a lot of promise, I just hope that GM (like it has in the past) does not let us down on this one. I think we deserve some good CHEAP cars, not expensive Cadillacs or Halo Cars.

Civic:

Cobalt:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts