GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlemen, I was just wondering if something has changed on GMI?? Last week the site started freezing my browers up when I try to read a thread. Will load a bit, then the browser/scrolling stops responding. I have this issue with all the computers I have access to (pc and mac, 3 different machines at home) and all browsers EXCEPT IE on my wifes Dell laptop lock up or slow down severely.

I have tried Firefox (pc and mac), Safari (mac), IE (windows) and Opera (windows). Not sure whats up here, and the real issue is IE is installed on my wifes computer, not mine, and I personally would prefer not to use IE on my machine. No issues with any other sites at all using any combination of computer/browser.

Anybody else having issues?

Thanks

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Works fine.

Chromium 3.0.185.0 (17929)

·
Registered
43,699 Posts
I have had issues with all my computers and all browsers.
The browser stalls and hangs while trying to load. It is simply rectified by reloading the page... and sometimes re-re-loading the page.

It's annoying. But it's kinda been like that for many months on and off...

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Not a single issue with GMI, not now and not in the past months.

It helps when using something like Chromium.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I have occasional issues using IE (no choice at work, unfortunately), but I've never had a problem at home using Firefox.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
The only thing that messes up my browsers recently is facebook. :)

No issues with GMI, other than a strange blank space on the main page due to banners with some browsers I use.

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Same problem here except the freezing. Sometimes it takes several minutes before the site finished (Firefox 3.0.10 on Linux).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Today I took my wifes laptop out for a drive, found a couple unsecured wireless networks and tried again. IE still works, firefox slows right down and eventually will lock up completely. So its not our home network. Hitting reload button does nothing.

The stupid part is up to last week or so, I NEVER had an issue at all with GMI, and I have been here for years.This is very frustrating, as it is one of my "every day" websites. It has to be the website, as no issues anywhere else at all. Bummer :(

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Today I took my wifes laptop out for a drive, found a couple unsecured wireless networks and tried again. IE still works, firefox slows right down and eventually will lock up completely. So its not our home network. Hitting reload button does nothing.

The stupid part is up to last week or so, I NEVER had an issue at all with GMI, and I have been here for years.This is very frustrating, as it is one of my "every day" websites. It has to be the website, as no issues anywhere else at all. Bummer :(
What happens when you go through a proxy?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What happens when you go through a proxy?
Good call....it works just fine. WTF?? Is it our ISP maybe (using unknown wireless networks no idea who their provider is and only two majors in this area)?? And why only this site?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Good call....it works just fine. WTF?? Is it our ISP maybe (using unknown wireless networks no idea who their provider is and only two majors in this area)?? And why only this site?
It's your ISP conflicting with GMI forum software I think (started after last forum software upgrade/update if I remember right). What causes it exactly I don't know but GMI has been having this problem for almost a year with certain ISP's.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's your ISP conflicting with GMI forum software I think (started after last forum software upgrade/update if I remember right). What causes it exactly I don't know but GMI has been having this problem for almost a year with certain ISP's.
That's what I was afraid of. Proxies are a PITA.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
IE 8.0 is a wreck. I upgraded thinking it would be faster, but it's slower yet. Opera's the best my not so tech-savvy ass has come across.
no way, I think its a good step up from IE7 and I've always preferred it over Firefox in Windows, mainly because of the loading time (also I'm not too big into the third party addon bloat scene so Firefox doesn't benefit me in that way). If I couldn't run IE8 in Windows Opera might be my 2nd choice, though, it loads about as quick on my machines. In Mac OS I still prefer Safari, again for speed and simplicity reasons. I don't mind Chrome either (pretty fast I admit), although I have only tried it for Windows.

But staying on topic, I haven't really had any problems with this site recently, in either IE8 or Safari 4

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
no way, I think its a good step up from IE7 and I've always preferred it over Firefox in Windows, mainly because of the loading time (also I'm not too big into the third party addon bloat scene so Firefox doesn't benefit me in that way). If I couldn't run IE8 in Windows Opera might be my 2nd choice, though, it loads about as quick on my machines. In Mac OS I still prefer Safari, again for speed and simplicity reasons. I don't mind Chrome either (pretty fast I admit), although I have only tried it for Windows.

But staying on topic, I haven't really had any problems with this site recently, in either IE8 or Safari 4
This computer's junk, and I've got Google's toolbar too--possibly the real culprit.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Since i upgraded IE i've noticed that the hover over on the thread name on the forum paghe no longer displays any further info. However, hover over on the main page does on the items in the left margin area. strange.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Since i upgraded IE i've noticed that the hover over on the thread name on the forum paghe no longer displays any further info. However, hover over on the main page does on the items in the left margin area. strange.
Is IE8 running in compatibility mode?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts