GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Co. has announced that its main operations at the Bupyeong plant in South Korea have halted due to its tiremakers cutting off supplies for higher prices. "Domestic tire suppliers today stopped supplying tires to call for higher tire prices and the Bupyeong plant has been sitting idly since 1 p.m. (0400 GMT)," GM Daewoo spokesman Kim Sung-Soo told Dow Jones Newswires...
More at the link.

http://thecarblogger.blogspot.com/2008/07/korea-gm-daewoos-bupyeong-plant-idled.html

This plant produces the Chevrolet Aveo/Pontiac G3 Wave. Thus, production of those cars has been halted as well.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
can't they just find another tire supplier?

·
Registered
6,051 Posts
can't they just find another tire supplier?
Not instantly, no.

It takes a LOT of tires to supply an assembly plant. You don't just find a tire plant with a spare capacity for a couple thousand extra tires per DAY!

·
Registered
998 Posts
This plant produces the Chevrolet Aveo/Pontiac G3 Wave. Thus, production of those cars has been halted as well.
False, production for the Americas has been moved to Mexico, we're not affected.

**am aware that Wikipedia points to 2009 for Mexican production [their source: http://www.thegmsource.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1287], but all the sales rep and GM Canada are telling me that the refresh is being produced in North America, unlike yesteryear's model.

·
Registered
195 Posts
False, production for the Americas has been moved to Mexico, we're not affected.

**am aware that Wikipedia points to 2009 for Mexican production [their source: http://www.thegmsource.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1287], but all the sales rep and GM Canada are telling me that the refresh is being produced in North America, unlike yesteryear's model.
I don't think so... I saw a few of the 09s on the lot the other day and they all had K as the first letter of the VIN (Korea) not 3 (Mexico).

·
Registered
998 Posts
I don't think so... I saw a few of the 09s on the lot the other day and they all had K as the first letter of the VIN (Korea) not 3 (Mexico).
Yeah, after verification, they are... But those are just the early 09 sedans for the most part, the new hatchbacks, be it the Aveo5 or the G3 Wave are all from Mexico.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I guess GM figured this car would be ok since the Vibe is a Toyota.GM, either start infusing some originality and identity into this make, or let it finally die. Its is going to be strong just like the volvo parts which is rising again.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Made in korea OR mexico.............STILL wouldn't buy one !!!!!!!!!!!

I remember a few years back with daewoo horror stories everywhere on the net!

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
aint it funny how they protect their economy with unions and gov. support---keep everything cheap. keep our products out (beef), but keep sending us their crap..
Uhh, Hyundai & Kia get affected by more strikes yearly than Daewoo/GM ever does.

As fpr things being "cheap" - we usually end up getting a discount - for instance, consumer electonics such as LCD or plasma TVs are usually more expensive there.

As for the whole beef thing, the whole outcry was over SKorea's govt.'s sudden lifting of the condition that US beef imports be from cattle 30 months in age or younger (it is thought that BSE/"mad cow" is more likely in older animals).

Many other countries/entities like the Philippines, HK, etc. also have the 30 month condition.

Japan has a more stringent req. at 20 months and Mexico recently lifted the 30 month condition on US beef imports.

Once the 30 month condition was reinstated, SKorea quickly rose to be one of the largest importers of US beef (as it was before the BSE scare) - SKorea is also the 3rd or 4th largest importer of US pork.

It would help to get the FACTS before going on a rant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts