GM Inside News Forum banner

Do you think chevrolet and GMC should make heavy duty trucks and transit buses again?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I miss Chevrolet and GMC when they used to have heavy duty trucks and transit buses period, i hope this comes back one day.
The Astro, Titan, Bruin, New Look, Brigadier, Classic, General

in EV.

those were the last heavy duty trucks and transit buses from gm and chevy.

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
I miss them too, and not only them but also some others like TopKick/Kodiak/C-60, the Ford L-Series who was seen often on the roads.

And something more rarer, the Dodge D-800/900/CNT900 truck.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would love for both GMC and Chevrolet to build medium and heavy duty trucks again. I would love for GMC to return to the bus market. However, the notion that they should return to these markets is a lot farther than I am willing to go. Back when GMC exited the heavy duty truck market, a GMC executive explained the economics of that market to me. The bottomline is that it was not profitable.

I am a GM fan. However, I am not in the market for a heavy duty trucks. I am not the kind of fan that demands that my favorite drive itself into bankruptcy to massage my ego. That said, I hear that the economics of the big truck marketing are changing. I am confident that GM is paying attention to these changes. If GM see profits in the changes, then it will likely reenter the big truck market. If not, then it will not.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love for both GMC and Chevrolet to build medium and heavy duty trucks again. I would love for GMC to return to the bus market. However, the notion that they should return to these markets is a lot farther than I am willing to go. Back when GMC exited the heavy duty truck market, a GMC executive explained the economics of that market to me. The bottomline is that it was not profitable.

I am a GM fan. However, I am not in the market for a heavy duty trucks. I am not the kind of fan that demands that my favorite drive itself into bankruptcy to massage my ego. That said, I hear that the economics of the big truck marketing are changing. I am confident that GM is paying attention to these changes. If GM see profits in the changes, then it will likely reenter the big truck market. If not, then it will not.
actually chevy is building medium trucks again.

·
Premium Member
35,772 Posts
GM is a technology company.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd rather see them build a couple competitive, profitable cars. Really not in the market for a Medium or Heavy truck.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,266 Posts
I would love for both GMC and Chevrolet to build medium and heavy duty trucks again. I would love for GMC to return to the bus market.
Chevrolet produces buses for Ecuador (Isuzu chassis):

·
Registered
44,058 Posts
GM is a technology company.

Ehh. I think that's a long term goal for GM. They're on a path to evolve into some form of "technology" company.

There are parts of GM that are in the business of developing "technology" for automotive purposes. They do have some semblance of tech services as well.
They've got a long way to go before they call themselves a "technology company." They are first and foremost an automotive company. They develop technology and tech services to meet the primary business of building cars.

·
Registered
44,058 Posts
I think GMC should take a hard look at the heavy truck and bus industry.
But GM's divested itself of the companies that supported this — like Allison.

But, if they do, it should be with an eye of differentiation from the market. Use Ultium to develop clean, mass transit options. There are already hybrid bus systems from Flyer that are proving popular.
And there's electric bus manufacturer Proterra.

Perhaps an acquisition by GM would be better.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,348 Posts
Ehh. I think that's a long term goal for GM. They're on a path to evolve into some form of "technology" company.

There are parts of GM that are in the business of developing "technology" for automotive purposes. They do have some semblance of tech services as well.
They've got a long way to go before they call themselves a "technology company." They are first and foremost an automotive company. They develop technology and tech services to meet the primary business of building cars.
True, much like their pioneering of various things we have in automobiles from way back when and up to the present day, and take for granted these days.

·
Premium Member
34,058 Posts
They have been buildi back their commercial vehicle business and Defense vehicles business, They did miss that opportunity to take over Navistar

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
As an aside, the buses were branded as GM vehicles, not GMC, but I think GM should revert back to being a full spectrum transportation manufacturer. I'd even like to see them bring back the Electromotive Division, builder of diesel electric locomotives.

GMC General | Class 8 Trucks | Pinterest | GMC Trucks, Rigs and Biggest truck
6494.1102189860.jpg

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
As an aside, the buses were branded as GM vehicles, not GMC, but I think GM should revert back to being a full spectrum transportation manufacturer. I'd even like to see them bring back the Electromotive Division, builder of diesel electric locomotives.

GMC General | Class 8 Trucks | Pinterest | GMC Trucks, Rigs and Biggest truck
That old GMC truck reminds me of the semi used in the tv series Knight Rider as a mobile base for KITT.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
That was way back when GMC made sense....it offered a little something extra instead of being just a Chevy without split headlights. Nowadays...it really makes little sense but since GM doesn't want to risk losing the volume they keep it around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts