GM Inside News Forum banner

GMC Topkick Makes #2 on "Top 10 Movie Pickup Trucks" List

66K views 65 replies 41 participants last post by  Gm786 
#1 ·
See less See more
#17 · (Edited)
Re: Top 10 Movie Pickup Trucks

I was expecting to see the, *ahem*, wagon from Kill Bill...
Haha - yes a classic, the "P-Wagon"! :p:

Looks like some of the trucks I see around here.

Edit: I think PickupTrucks.com would avoid this one on purpose as it paints the image of aftermarket-inclined pickup truck drivers as arrogant jerks with no taste - not to mention the awful owner in the movie. (Sometimes, if rarely, this stereotype IS true - we've all seen a pickup festooned with garbage that is as over-the-top as a Honda Civic tuner on some bad steroids).

#5 ·

First truck I thought of was Mel Gibson's 3500 GMC. I think that Toyota from Back to the Future sucks as #1. It really was insignificant in the movie other than having it waxed by Biff.
I agree. The only semi-cool thing was when he put it in reverse, and did a 180*. But that's it.

I just remembered another cool truck though......Jeepers Creepers.

#6 · (Edited)

I can't believe they forgot Chuck Norris's truck in Lone Wolf Mcquade. You know... the one where he's buried in his truck in his own grave and just drives right out.

*Edit: OK so it's not a pickup truck... but with Chuck Norris and a Mad Max style switchable blower... That Back to the Future truck wouldn't stand a chance! ;)

#7 ·

They should have had the pickup from the original 'The Hitcher' in there, and the Devil's pickup that came out of the ground in some horror anthology movie I can't remember the title of.

I think it was actually the same truck used in both films.

#9 ·
10 1986, '89 and '91 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, "Lethal Weapon," "Lethal Weapon 2" and "Lethal Weapon 3"

9 1995 Dodge Ram 2500, "Twister"

8 1978 Chevrolet K10 Cheyenne, "Red Dawn"

7 2003 Toyota Tundra, "Terminator 3"

6 1963 Jeep Gladiator J20, "Tremors"

5 Mater, "Cars"

4 1972 Ford F-100, "Mad Max 2 – The Road Warrior"

3 1986 Ford F-350 (aka Bigfoot No. 7), "Road House"

2 Ironhide, 2007 GMC Topkick C4500, "Transformers"

1 1985 Toyota Pickup SR5, "Back to the Future"
I would have moved up #10...not sure about #5 though, hahaha...

Interesting list!

#15 · (Edited)
I really disagree with the Back to the future Toyota. That truck never did anything important in the movie. The terminator 3 toyota would have been a better choice if they insist on putting a Toyota on top.

Do TV trucks count? If so you would certainly have to include The 1970s era Dodge Power Wagon from the "Simon and Simon" detective show, and also Jim Rockford's dad Rocky's GMC 4X4 Step Pickup from the "Rockford Files".

I'd like to give a well deserved honorable mention to Vogue Motorhome in the 1975 Movie "Race with the Devil" with Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, and Loretta Swit. I know its not a truck but that was a great movie. They certainly drove that RV to he11 and back.

#22 · (Edited)
#19 ·
I don't get the #1 either. Back then Toyota was still a small import player in a Big 3 dominated market. I'd almost be willing to bet that it was there as a result of a product placement deal that Toyota arranged. I can still recall that I scratched my head at seeing this Toyota as Marty's dream truck when the movie first came out.

If you want to talk legendary vehicle from 'Back to the Future', the Delorian is it.

#23 · (Edited)
Good list. That is about the same order that I would have put it in. GMC really needs to push product placement in some action movies, in my opinion. Lethal Weapon was a big deal for them.

Remember when Mel Gibson pulled that house off it's foundation with the GMC Sierra in LW 2?

Twister's truck is kind of odd. I guess it was a big deal because that was the year Chrysler redesigned their trucks. I prefered the Jeep they used in that movie...forgot the year though.

The Back to the Future Toyota is probably a good choice, but it didn't do anything cool the whole time. I did start liking Toyota trucks after I saw that movie though.

Where is the *****wagon from Kill Bill?

#31 · (Edited)
Eastwood drives a 1964-1965 GMC in the "the Bridges of Madison County", though sadly, he does not kill anyone with it.

Theres also the black H1 truck that rams the Cutlass Sierra off the parking garge ramp in "Gone in 60 seconds".

Heres a little trivia, in which 007 movie do you see James Bond drive a truck?

#34 ·
#33 ·
yeah I would have to agree the worse selection is the toyota at 1, Gibson's Duelly would have been a way better number one, or the topkick... soon as I seen the Duelly I instantly though of the house being pulled down... Speaking of Dukes of Hazzard there is also Cooter's Tow Truck... And I would say the Jeep from Twister proably deserved co-listing with the Dodge. Pierce Bronson also drove the crap out of a Suburan in Dante's Peak as well... Now I am trying to remember more of better movie trucks lol...

#35 ·
Well actually thats a semi, but how about just a regular truck, with a stake bed.

Well can always ad Hannibal Lecter's Chevrolet pick up from "Hannibal" and the 60's Dodge Crew Cab that duels with the Grizwolds in "Christmas Vacation".

The more I think of movies with trucks...

#37 ·
I know it's not a pickup, but there will never be a "Top 10 Movie Motorhomes" list, so I thought I'd mention the GMC Motrohome from 'Stripes', known as the EM-50.

#39 · (Edited)
A lot of good ones have been mentioned, but I can't believe they left out some of these:

One of the best car movies ever. If you haven't seen "Dazed and Confused", please do so immediately. If you like muscle cars, you will love this movie. It has trucks as well. There is a nice blue mid 70's GMC C-10 and a 55 stepside. However, my #1 movie truck would be the black 72 chevy C-10 in its chase scene when the seniors are chasing down the huge 64 Buick Electra with the freshman in it. Best scene ever!!!!!!!!!!

Someone mentioned above about the Chuck Norris Movie, the scene where he gets buried and drives the truck out. It is enough to give you goosebumps. You can't leave out "Lone Wolf McQuade".

Of course, "Varsity Blues" had a pretty cool mid 70's chevy as well.

Also, this truck was kind of cool, I always remember it for some reason. In the movie it had true duals with glasspacks, make sure you turn the volume up. Check out "Breakdown", pretty good movie.

Also, who can forget the big red 88 chevy in "Made in America", worth a laugh or two. (only pics I could find)

What about the suburban in "Dante's Peak"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.