1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GMC Looks to Crossovers for Future Viability
Evan McCausland
Automobile.com

As shoppers continue to turn away from large trucks and SUVs, GMC - the predominant truck division within GM's empire - stands to lose the most. Perhaps that explains why the division plans to offer smaller vehicles and crossovers in the near future.

Although they're nice vehicles, it's hard to understand why GM offers no less than four versions of their Lambda crossover utility vehicles. Perhaps that's why Automotive News suggests GMC may axe its version, the Acadia, before the 2010 model year.

If it should survive, expect a facelift for 2010, along with a new V-8 option. We're not sure what eight-cylinder block that would be, as the Ultra V-8, once scheduled for the Lambda, is shelved.

Although Chevrolet's revised Equinox may be launched in 2010, GMC's version - the Terrain - won't appear until 2011. Replacing the Pontiac Torrent, the Terrain will also ride on an updated Theta platform, and will be little more than a re-skinned Equinox.

Big SUVs aren't selling, so we're not shocked to hear plans to revamp the Yukon and Yukon XL for 2012 are on hiatus. That said, both trucks, along with other full-size GM SUVs, could shift to a modified Lambda platform in 2012.

Already in the works is a replacement for the GMT355, better known to consumers as the GMC Canyon. While development of the new truck is occurring in Brazil, it's uncertain if the Canyon - currently a slow seller - will return to the U.S. market. If so, look for it in 2012.

SOURCE

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Good for GM - sink more precious resources into inefficient, brand-engineered products. When you could be developing significant NEW small, fuel-efficient vehicles with volume potential for each division that is UNIQUE to that division, you sink money into an area where you already have a presence!

Throw good money after bad?

Keep up the good work, GM!

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Why would GM ax the best selling Lambda -- the Acadia. Maybe they article is confusing the Acadia and the Outlook, the latter of which being axed makes way more sense.

And with BMW down to 4 single shifts at their v8 plant, perhaps GM is planning to pull engines from BMW. Who knows what additional side deals GM did with BMW for the 2-Mode.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Why would GM ax the best selling Lambda -- the Acadia. Maybe they article is confusing the Acadia and the Outlook, the latter of which being axed makes way more sense.
I'm sure GMC dealers would love to have the Outlook's sales ratio.

GMC: 2200 dealers, 5,397 July sales = 2.5 sales/dealer

Saturn: 430 dealers, 2,368 July sales = 5.5 sales/retailer

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
So in other words, GMC is done. If they axe the Acadia, don't replace the Colorado, and the Terrain isn't out for a few more years, what do they have left? Also, how silly is it if they get rid of the Acadia to replace it with... tada... a Yukon on the Lambda platform?!? Why not just rename the Acadia 'Yukon'?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
That article seems like someone just made things up and put it to print.
I work at a PBG store, 09 is last MY for the Torrent...Terrain will arrive as a 2010 modle.
V8 Acadia is axed, while all Lambdas will have the DI 3.6 for 09 to boost hp and EPA. AFAIK, the Acadia Denali as been shelved.
No talk of axing GMT355 sized trucks, but, maybe switching away from a BOF (like in SA).

This article is one big large Nautica Edition failboat!

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
As shoppers continue to turn away from large trucks and SUVs, GMC - the predominant truck division within GM's empire - stands to lose the most. Perhaps that explains why the division plans to offer smaller vehicles and crossovers in the near future.
All true - and more bad news for the brand.

Some defenders of GMC will continue to argue that GM cannot cut GMC because the brand is GM's biggest selling nameplate.

However, as articles like this allude to - this may not always be the case. GMC sells half a million trucks today. But what will it be in 5 years as CAFE, high fuel prices, and a more "picky" consumer base take hold?

Sales will likely plummet and GMC will probably fall from the number 2 spot.

I'm not relishing in this. It bothers me. But if some of GMCs products will go longer without redesigns and refreshes, then that means GM is consciously redirecting some of those monies toward more fuel efficient products. It also points to the fact that GM will have to relay more on Saturn and/or Pontiac to make up those sales.

I'll be interested to see how this can be accomplished.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
I'm sure GMC dealers would love to have the Outlook's sales ratio.

GMC: 2200 dealers, 5,397 July sales = 2.5 sales/dealer

Saturn: 430 dealers, 2,368 July sales = 5.5 sales/retailer
Great point. I love when people use facts and think!

V8 Acadia is axed, while all Lambdas will have the DI 3.6 for 09 to boost hp and EPA. AFAIK, the Acadia Denali as been shelved.
Dropping the V8 is understandable, but shelving the Denali is a bit of a suprise conisidering there is more profit involved.

IMO GMC should be focused on Commercial vehicles and pick up trucks. Legit "Professional grade." There is nothing Professional grade about the Arcadia. Let Buick sell the Enclave and any other CUVs.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not to mention BPG dealers already have the Enclave...the whole Acadia / Enclave on the same lots thing bothered me from the beginning and seemed like more pandering to single brand dealers when BPG is supposed to be the way going forward.

I'm waiting to see what innovative, fuel efficient, affordable and tough little products GMC and Chevy get from GM Brazil in their new small trucks. Other than that, GMC's lineup is pretty ho-hum for me.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I agree Ming, the Acadia on the same lot with the Enclave makes no sense. The Acadia should never have existed and the Chevrolet Traverse should have been around from the beginning.

Perhaps the V8 makes sense if they feel people would buy a V8 Lamda instead of a V8 Tahoe since it will get better mileage. This only makes sense if the vehicle is capable (beyond the engine) of towing even more than the current 5200 lb limit of the 3.6 DI model. If they could get the towing limit up to 6-7k lbs then it would be a real draw from people towing RV's, boats, etc. with full size BOF suv's. Perhaps they can steal customers from their Sequoia's, Expeditions, Durango's, etc. Even with a V8 the Lamda's will get noticably better mpg's than other full size suv's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have with my own eyes seen 1 and only 1 of the v8 engines intended on going into the enclave. The v8 was, as far as I know, only scheduled to go into the Buick. Surprised if they had it why not offer it and see what type of interest there was.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
People on here think too logically. One thing is, we all think that the BPG dealers should only have one Lambda, whether that be the Acadia or the Enclave is up for debate. However, there's still folks out there that won't shop a Buick, or won't shop a GMC it doesn't matter if they are very similar vehicles. I looked at both the GMC and the Buick, and shopped them against each other, and found out that the Buick was packaged more to my liking. However, I would be willing to guess that the majority of SUV of Crossover buyers will not be interested in both the Acadia or the Enclave, but rather be shopping the GMC against a foreign brand, or shopping the Enclave against a luxury foreign brand. If the Acadia were to go away, I don't see that automatically the Enclave would get more sales, just because they are at the same dealership. Some people will swear the Acadia is better, for whatever reason, and others that will swear the Enclave is better, for whatever reason.

As for a V8 in the Lambdas: Not sure how that would go over. The 288 H.P. direct injection is ample power. The only downside is tow capacity, which the larger SUV's have the advantage. Most people don't think V8 FWD vehicles are that great, so would the V8 only be on the AWD? Not really sure how the Lambdas would get away with a V8 FWD without someone saying "too much torque steer, etc." As for a tow vehicle, 4500 pounds seems ample to me, but I've never towed before. If they could get the rating up to about 6000 pounds, with the V6, that would be better. Not sure if it's just about H.P. and torque, or how the Lambdas are constructed, can they tow more with just more engine? Not sure?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My own opinion is that I like the looks of the Acadia better than the Enclave. But that's me and I gotta live with me! My neighbor bought the Enclave and swears its the most beautiful machine on earth. So, I see them both having a market. If they steel sales from each other we may never know, or care.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I agree Ming, the Acadia on the same lot with the Enclave makes no sense. The Acadia should never have existed and the Chevrolet Traverse should have been around from the beginning.

Perhaps the V8 makes sense if they feel people would buy a V8 Lamda instead of a V8 Tahoe since it will get better mileage. This only makes sense if the vehicle is capable (beyond the engine) of towing even more than the current 5200 lb limit of the 3.6 DI model. If they could get the towing limit up to 6-7k lbs then it would be a real draw from people towing RV's, boats, etc. with full size BOF suv's. Perhaps they can steal customers from their Sequoia's, Expeditions, Durango's, etc. Even with a V8 the Lamda's will get noticably better mpg's than other full size suv's.
Not every dealer is BPG. We have GMC, Pontiac, and Cadilliac, hoping for Saturn. No Buick or Chevrolet meaning no Acadia or Traverse! Another dealer in town is Chevrolet and Buick, makes me abit jealous im not there!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Not every dealer is BPG. We have GMC, Pontiac, and Cadilliac, hoping for Saturn. No Buick or Chevrolet meaning no Acadia or Traverse! Another dealer in town is Chevrolet and Buick, makes me abit jealous im not there!
That's a bit different. Pontiac and GMC usually go together, but having Cadilliac there too is different than most. I'm guessing, because of the ads on TV, that all dealers that have either Pontiac, GMC, or Buick, without the other two will still be put together. I don't see a Saturn being paired with any other GM franchise, so I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. (where is your dealership, by the way?) In the area I live in, Lansing MI area, the main Pontiac dealer that was a stand alone, didn't even have GMC, sold thier Pontiac franchise to the Buick/GMC dealer in Lansing, and the owners of the Pontiac franchise bought one of the Chevrolet franchises in the area, on the totally other end of town. And, I guess all those staff members went to the "new" Chevy store. (If anyone on here lives in the Lansing area, I'm speaking of Sawyers Pontiac, which is no more, it's Sawyers Chevy in DeWitt, and Buege Buick/GMC now has the Pontiacs, and Annie Rae Chevy is no more). I'm really thinkng GM is pushing dealers to carry all three, and if they don't, they can figure something out. I don't think it's that big a deal to have both the Acadia and the Enclave on the same lot. coming from the salesperson's point of view, like you are, that's no biggie for you, you can sell both (if you have them...sorry yours doesn't have Buick, but at least you have a Lambda to sell).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts