GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/02/gmc-bronco-fighter-suv-canceled-rumor/

GMC won't help rival Ford in its quest to dethrone the Jeep Wrangler, according to a recent report. The body-on-frame off-roader the firm planned as an alternative to the upcoming Bronco and the fourth-generation Wrangler allegedly fell victim to a top-down restructuring plan implemented recently by parent company General Motors.

Citing anonymous inside sources, Muscle Car & Trucks reported the rugged SUV remained part of GMC's long-term product plan until November 2018. It was shaping up to be one of the company's most distinctive models in decades. It should have arrived as a dedicated off-roader developed and sold exclusively by GMC; it wouldn't have had a twin in the Chevrolet portfolio.

The problem, according to the report, is that the off-roader (which might have revived the heritage-laced Jimmy nameplate) should have been built on the 32XX platform designed to underpin the next Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon twins. General Motors canceled that project to save money, so the SUV was consigned to the attic before we even spotted prototypes testing on and off the pavement.

The updated pickups will instead arrive on an evolution of the frame found under the models currently found in showroom. There's no word on why that architecture can't support a Wrangler-like SUV.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Saw this coming from a mile away. Didn't even believe they were trying since there's never been even so much as a mule running around under a Canyon or something. It was stupid for GMC to even go after such a venture given what we know of GM's hawkish directive of sales vs investment.

If they just went for an SUV version of the Canyon and shared 90% of the parts, I bet GM would have greenlit it. Then pushed for the off roader in due time.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,388 Posts
Shoulda figured as much. GM is too weak kneed and their heart is in the wrong place anyhow. Zero Zero Zero Baby.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Wait, I thought the next gen Colorado/Canyon was going to be on T1xx. Something doesn't sound right. I hope this isn't the case just like with the Camaro

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
"It was shaping up to be one of the company's most distinctive models in decades. It should have arrived as a dedicated off-roader developed and sold exclusively by GMC; it wouldn't have had a twin in the Chevrolet portfolio."

GM and "distinctive model" seem to be more mutually exclusive with each passing year :(

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
"It was shaping up to be one of the company's most distinctive models in decades. It should have arrived as a dedicated off-roader developed and sold exclusively by GMC; it wouldn't have had a twin in the Chevrolet portfolio."

GM and "distinctive model" seem to be more mutually exclusive with each passing year :(
I think it would've been late to the party, a waste of time, and wouldn't have made a dent in Wrangler/Bronco sales. Better to use the capital elsewhere IMO.

·
Registered
616 Posts
This seems like one of GM's infamous "save a penny now, spend a dollar later" decisions.

i can see trimming their sedan lineup, but cancelling a vehicle in a hot emerging segment? GM doesn't have anything to sell prospective Wrangler or Bronco buyers. They're certainly not going to touch the Blazer.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
This seems like one of GM's infamous "save a penny now, spend a dollar later" decisions.

i can see trimming their sedan lineup, but cancelling a vehicle in a hot emerging segment? GM doesn't have anything to sell prospective Wrangler or Bronco buyers. They're certainly not going to touch the Blazer.
GM corp is being run like it JUST emerged from bankruptcy and the RISK of a NICHE vehicle that has a 50/50 chance of FAILURE is to BIG of a CASH RISK

VS a COMPANY that is FIGHTING TO TAKE THE THRONE and sees the 50/50 CHANCE of MAKING a vehicle that will HAVE FERVENT FOLLOWERS for generations AND basically sell for ANY amount of cash $$$

right NOW FORD is the LATTER and FCA has played that card for 5 years now

·
Registered
20,558 Posts
So much for being smart and leading from behind?.................

Have you guys forgotten about the GMC Acadia AT4?;)
Almost as dumb as the Envoy XUV, take a 3 row CUV remove the back seat and charge more!? Brilliant! "give that man a raise!"

:fall:

·
Registered
20,558 Posts
Don't worry guys, it'll be OK - More money to spend on EV's and Autonomous!

·
Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
15,356 Posts
Jeep is so deeply entrenched in this class that it truly is in a class of its own. No midsize pickup on earth has a rumored $50k plus ATP.

·
Registered
888 Posts
If the Bronco is a hit, and the Wrangler/Gladiator continue to sell like hotcakes, it won't be a niche segment anymore.
I think the Bronco will ultimately share the same fate as the Toyota FJ Cruiser. No manufacturer can go to war against the Cult of Jeep and it's aftermarket support. Ford will see two years of great success, and bam, sales will fall 60-75% after the hypetrain and right on time for the inevitable market downswing. The Bronco needed to launch in 2010, not 2020. Absolutely atrocious product planning by Ford and this is going to leave a black eye in Dearborn.

·
Registered
20,558 Posts
Almost as dumb as the Envoy XUV, take a 3 row CUV remove the back seat and charge more!? Brilliant! "give that man a raise!"

:fall:
(To Clarify)
I have no problem with the Acadia AT4 for what it is, but other than a small increase in storage and to pretend you directly compete with the 5-Seater Jeep Grand Cherokee, why?
- If I were to buy an Acadia, the AT4 trim would fit my style, but no matter how infrequent I may use the 3rd row, I would resist buying that trim.

I think the Bronco will ultimately share the same fate as the Toyota FJ Cruiser. No manufacturer can go to war against the Cult of Jeep and it's aftermarket support. Ford will see two years of great success, and bam, sales will fall 60-75% after the hypetrain and right on time for the inevitable market downswing. The Bronco needed to launch in 2010, not 2020. Absolutely atrocious product planning by Ford and this is going to leave a black eye in Dearborn.
You are missing something................. We are entering an era where the "traditional car" is going the way of the dinosaur.

Additionally, for "scale" reasons you are better off with 2 or 3 vehicles and ~100,000 units than you are with one at ~60,000 (hypothetical numbers; for example only)
- Ford Flex at around 20,000/year is a good example.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I mostly agree with this, though comparing the Bronco to the FJ is wrong IMO. The FJ relied almost entirely upon nostalgia where the Bronco is being engineered to be a truly capable competitor off-road. Yes, the Bronco is also a nostalgia play, but there is way reportedly more substance beyond simply resembling a past vehicle. Ford also has the Raptor giving them some real credibility as an off-road company which will surely help the Bronco appeal to more than concrete jungle buyers.

But in the end, Jeep won't lose any sleep over the Bronco even if they lose a sale or three. I think the Bronco, and eventual Ranger Raptor are as likely to bite into F-150 Raptor sales as they are Jeep sales.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
I mostly agree with this, though comparing the Bronco to the FJ is wrong IMO. The FJ relied almost entirely upon nostalgia where the Bronco is being engineered to be a truly capable competitor off-road. Yes, the Bronco is also a nostalgia play, but there is way reportedly more substance beyond simply resembling a past vehicle. Ford also has the Raptor giving them some real credibility as an off-road company which will surely help the Bronco appeal to more than concrete jungle buyers.

But in the end, Jeep won't lose any sleep over the Bronco even if they lose a sale or three. I think the Bronco, and eventual Ranger Raptor are as likely to bite into F-150 Raptor sales as they are Jeep sales.
I think UNLESS the Bronco does SOMETHING the Jeep does not do well then everybody will stick ti the Jeep for the most part

I also wonder how much "UPSIDE" there is the OFFROAD utility segment in the USA

the Wrangler MAKE a BAD "CUV" compared to a Equinox and the 'nox is the GROWTH segment more then the HARD CORE niche

I believe GMC "Jimmy" would NOT have gotten good sales numbers as the Wrangler / Bronco will fill the demand unless the Jimmy was say a "NORMAL" SUV with offroad chops AND affordable say a 36K+ Jeep Grand Cherokee competitor

1 - 20 of 59 Posts