GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,173 Posts
All that talk from Sandy Monroe how GM is going bankrupt because of Tesla is not coming to be. I wonder if they will apologize.

This Ultium business will see GM dominate EV space in America. But as soon as China invades Formosa, GM China business is gone, and so is Tesla's.

I believe SUT style bed would have been a better design for this HUMMER. It just looks droopy out back.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All that talk from Sandy Monroe how GM is going bankrupt because of Tesla is not coming to be. I wonder if they will apologize.
I honestly think Sandy tried to get a consulting contract with GM last year and it fell thru, and has become more than a little bitter. He was at the GM Tech Center last fall for interviews and was acting all warm & fuzzy then.

·
Registered
18,659 Posts
Does anyone happen to know the delivery and destination charges for the Hummer? They're so heavy they only run 3 on an 18 wheeler is telling.

This Ultium business will see GM dominate EV space in America. But as soon as China invades Formosa, GM China business is gone, and so is Tesla's.

I believe SUT style bed would have been a better design for this HUMMER. It just looks droopy out back.
Can we not call for this just yet? We've seen 14 Hummers delivered. Yes, other production is starting up but lets wait until they get some regular priced stuff on the road before we call for domination. GM will quickly see how well Destination America can F up plans.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does anyone happen to know the delivery and destination charges for the Hummer? They're so heavy they only run 3 on an 18 wheeler is telling.

Can we not call for this just yet? We've seen 14 Hummers delivered. Yes, other production is starting up but lets wait until they get some regular priced stuff on the road before we call for domination. GM will quickly see how well Destination America can F up plans.
But this is the first three vehicles so far confirmed on Ultium, followed by Lyriq and Silverado EV.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I can't help but question GM's approach here with such massively heavy EVs. It's worth pointing out the F-150 Lightning is around 2,500 lbs lighter than these bois, leading to far better power efficiency. GM didn't even lightweight the bodies with full Aluminum construction. I'm doubting GM's approach more and more now that Silverado showed up, especially as I see the specs on the next-gen Lightning, let alone the current one.

·
Registered
20,746 Posts
I can't help but question GM's approach here with such massively heavy EVs. It's worth pointing out the F-150 Lightning is around 2,000 lbs lighter than these bois, leading to far better power efficiency. GM didn't even lightweight the bodies with Aluminum. I'm doubting GM's approach more and more now that Silverado showed up, especially as I see the specs on the next-gen Lightning, let alone the current one.
Aren't you comparing an S Class to a Chevy Impala? Meaning the Hummer is a luxury off-road vehicle and the F-150 Lightening is not. If the upcoming eSilverado is 2,000 lbs more than the Ford, then it is a big issue unless you can point to a lot more range with the Chevy. The mechanicals behind the crabwalk has to be a decent amount of weight, those enormous tires, etc.

·
Registered
18,659 Posts
Aren't you comparing an S Class to a Chevy Impala? Meaning the Hummer is a luxury off-road vehicle and the F-150 Lightening is not. If the upcoming eSilverado is 2,000 lbs more than the Ford, then it is a big issue unless you can point to a lot more range with the Chevy. The mechanicals behind the crabwalk has to be a decent amount of weight, those enormous tires, etc.
Payload is only 1300lbs for the Silverado E. That doesn't bode too well for it's curb weight number. Lightning can be "up to" 2000lbs for payload.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Those 35" tires are freaking heavy as well. Add in all the other thing-a-ma-jigs and and so on and its not surprising it would be heavier by a considerable amount. I think you are right, I expect the Silverado E will come in lighter.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

Who is Sandy Monro? Are they an insider in the auto industry?

·
Registered
18,659 Posts
Could very well be, but I'd like to see the end product. Could simply be that Ford traded range for payload/GM sacrificed payload for range.
And this is where EVs need a better comparison tool as far as KwH usage goes as well. If GM did trade as you say then they will not only have further range but they'll use battery capacity better too.

·
Registered
20,746 Posts
And this is where EVs need a better comparison tool as far as KwH usage goes as well. If GM did trade as you say then they will not only have further range but they'll use battery capacity better too.
A lot of questions and no answer - can't wait for these things to hit the market to get answers.

BEV seems to be a whole different world that we don't yet understand. I was just reading how a tow truck did $28k in damage to a Mach-E by attaching the winch to the wrong place. Mustang Mach-E Owner Charged $28,000 To Replace Damaged Battery (motorbiscuit.com)

·
Registered
Current ride: 2015 Sonic sedan 1.8L/5sp
2,612 Posts
Payload is only 1300lbs for the Silverado E. That doesn't bode too well for it's curb weight number. Lightning can be "up to" 2000lbs for payload.
Later Silvy EVs models will have tow ratings up to 20K lbs, I assume they will have higher payload than 1300lb. They haven’t announced a number, though, to my knowledge.

·
Registered
20,746 Posts
Later Silvy EVs models will have tow ratings up to 20K lbs, I assume they will have higher payload than 1300lb. They haven’t announced a number, though, to my knowledge.
Good point - GM is launching new vehicles slowly as their Ultium plants are still under construction, I feel like everything they are showing us is more of a "taste" versus a complete showing of what they can and will do. Leading up to this change to BEV, GM had took the reigns with developing light weight chassis, to the point I think I can say they were leading the industry from that perspective. I'd think they'd carry that with them into the BEV world. But time will tell.... I'd also think that GM knows enough about trucks to not let a competitor walk all over them with payload capabilities (though I think we've all seen GM do enough questionable things that we don't feel 100% comfortable that GM will NOT screw this up).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts