·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive News

Image Credit: Motor Trend magazine

September 29, 2014

Article Quotes:

None of the new GMC Canyon midsize pickups that began shipping to dealerships this month wears a Denali badge signifying the truck brand's high-end trim line.

GMC chief Duncan Aldred wants to change that.

"I'm pushing the engineers and designers to give me a credible Denali," Aldred told Automotive News during a Canyon media drive here last week.

Denali, introduced in the 1999 model year, has evolved into a powerful trim level for GMC in recent years. General Motors has sought to capitalize on its popularity by adding Denali models across GMC's lineup.

"I'm going to sell quite a lot of Canyons, so that's kind of going to halt my progress" if the pickup doesn't eventually get a Denali version, Aldred said.

Denali models get cosmetic enhancements inside and out, such as a bolder grille and aluminum interior trim. They often get their own engines, such as a larger 6.2-liter V-8 in the redesigned '15 Yukon Denali. Aldred wouldn't tip his hand on what he'd like to see in a future Canyon version.

"I'm not just going to badge engineer it," he said. "It's got to be credible."

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Re: GMC Exec Wants Canyon Denali; "I'm not just going to badge engineer it."

It didn't occur to someone until they are hitting the dealers that maybe they needed to develop a Denali? If this is not just badge engineered, we are looking at at least 18 months before we see one. That is INcredible...and inexcusable.

·
Registered
411 Posts

They often get their own engines, such as a larger 6.2-liter V-8 in the redesigned '15 Yukon Denali.
Mike Colias would've been "more" honest had he said, "They often get the top engine available in that model". The Sierra, Sierra HD's, Acadia or Terrain Denali's do not get any exclusive powertrains that are not available elsewhere in their model lineups.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

A new vehicle doesn't need all veresions at introduction, as initial sales will be good. Only after the initial glow is gone does new versions make a difference and enhance sales. Bringing it out next year is the right time.
I agree with this. Let the Denali show up as a '16 model, when hopefully the 8-speed is available for these trucks. Same with a possible Colorado ZR2. Let the trucks sell year 1 first, then offer the new trims. GM needs some way to combat a redesigned Tacoma and Frontier. Holding these trims back a year allows GM to shift attention back to their trucks after the competition plays their hand.

·
Registered
505 Posts

I really think they could do more with the Denali line, for me the Terrain is the worst offender of them all: the additions of wood trim look nice on the inside, but that and Side Blind Spot detection/Rear Cross Traffic are the only differences save the requisite grill and other bling. Would it be that hard to add rear heated seats, front cooled seats, HID's, a better interior color combo, a skylight or pano roof for the back passengers, etc?? The Denali buyer has the cash, cater to them!!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts

Being the big Denali models get the 6.2L V8 should not the Mid-Sized Denali models get the 5.3L V8?? That would make a nice package! Then GMC could bring back the Syclone model of the Canyon with a lowered performance suspension and AWD and use the Turbo Cadillac 3.6L V6 tuned for 450+HP while Chevrolet could do a Colorado SS using the 6.2L LT1 with RWD!

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts

With the Cadillac developing a new line of modular engines. Could GM have a sub-6.0 engine (or two) in the works?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Doesn't the Canyon already have AWD + locking center diff (not taking rear diff)? I thought that was the big difference on these. They call it Automatic Locking Transfer case? Details are sparse, but i know the TFL Truck review said the same thing where the GMC actually had a AWD choice vs the Canyon being more standard 4hi/2hi.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

"Autotrac transfer case — no other small or midsize pickup offers an automatic transfer case"

·
Registered
122 Posts

I think the 4.3 would be the ideal engine to bring to Canyon Denali
No, the 4.3 would be the ideal engine to bring to the standard canyons and colorados. The 5.3 might work for the Denali.

Since they don't even have a sliding rear window available I think we are a long way away from anything at this point.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts

No, the 4.3 would be the ideal engine to bring to the standard canyons and colorados. The 5.3 might work for the Denali.
Since they don't even have a sliding rear window available I think we are a long way away from anything at this point.
I too would prefer the 5.3, but one step at a time:)

·
Registered
4,600 Posts

The 5.3 as an option in the Denali would be a fine choice.

Reactions: SierraGS

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,298 Posts

The 5.3 as an option in the Denali would be a fine choice.
That should be the engine.
Aldred is 100% right. Terrian Denali is a badge job and a bad joke. Don't do that again.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.