GM Inside News Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having an issue with an 2002 Envoy/Trailblazer not starting? Seems our Envoy doesn't want to start because the battery is drained every few days. WE don't leave anything on, but yet is works the night before and the next morning it will not start. We have to jump start it and then it will run instantly. We have brought it to the dealer both when it was working and when it was dead via a tow truck and they didn't see any drain on the battery. Because the battery was dead they replaced it once, but then we went about 4 weeks with no startup problem and then bam it wouldn't start. Sometimes the battery is totally drained other times everything works (windows, alarm, radio), but there isn't enough power to start the vehicle. It doesn't even attempt to start, you just hear a click and that is it. I printed out some of the TSBs from www.alldata.com and gave them to the dealer, but they insist there isn't anything they can see or that relates to the issue because they cannot reproduce the problem at the dealership. Right, now it has been with the dealer for the past 2 days and so far it has started for them every single day. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by gregory@Jan 22 2004, 10:57 PM
Anyone having an issue with an 2002 Envoy/Trailblazer not starting? Seems our Envoy doesn't want to start because the battery is drained every few days. WE don't leave anything on, but yet is works the night before and the next morning it will not start. We have to jump start it and then it will run instantly. We have brought it to the dealer both when it was working and when it was dead via a tow truck and they didn't see any drain on the battery. Because the battery was dead they replaced it once, but then we went about 4 weeks with no startup problem and then bam it wouldn't start. Sometimes the battery is totally drained other times everything works (windows, alarm, radio), but there isn't enough power to start the vehicle. It doesn't even attempt to start, you just hear a click and that is it. I printed out some of the TSBs from www.alldata.com and gave them to the dealer, but they insist there isn't anything they can see or that relates to the issue because they cannot reproduce the problem at the dealership. Right, now it has been with the dealer for the past 2 days and so far it has started for them every single day. Does anyone have any ideas?
This sounds very familiar... Do you have power mirrors? See if they move at all when the SUV is off. My neighbor went through weeks of issues with dead batteries because of a grounding problem. The mirrors would move after the truck was off a while. He had a 2002 Trailblazer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. We do have power mirrors and I have noticed that sometimes they get stuck, but this usually only happens after you press the open button on the remote and get in the car.

We have also been having an issue with the heat coming back on after I turn it off. Do you think there is a wider electrical problem?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by gregory@Jan 23 2004, 12:49 AM
We have also been having an issue with the heat coming back on after I turn it off. Do you think there is a wider electrical problem?
Hmm... could be... but I have no experience with that one...

Anybody else have an idea?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you remmeber how your friend or his dealer found the problem with the ground. We bring it to the dealer and they can't reproduce the problem so they say they cannot do anything.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by gregory@Jan 31 2004, 04:24 PM
Do you remmeber how your friend or his dealer found the problem with the ground.  We bring it to the dealer and they can't reproduce the problem so they say they cannot do anything.
He actually caught it in action after losing a couple batteries...

He heard a small motor noise while getting into it... and he noticed the mirrors ever-so-slightly moving back and forth, just enough to notice when you look at it... he got them fixed under warranty, and now, to this day, no issues... The dealer found the problem when he described what it was doing...

I'm sorry you still haven't gotten to the bottom of your intermittent start :( Issues like that are very inconvenient.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to have an Aztek that did the same thing. It was something to do with the BCM/PCM not shutting down properly. Took a few tows to figure that one out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the support. Had issues with it again three times in the last two weeks. This is so fustrating for everyone. Even the dealer doesn't know what it happening. They had it for 1 week straight and it started every time. I took it home and two days later the battery is dead overnight. Then on Friday it happened again. The battery wasn't totally dead, but it didn't have enough power to even attempt to start.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That does sound like a BCM - body control module - to me. After you turn the Envoy off the power stays on for something like 10 minutes or until a door is opened. Next time you have a chance turn it off and listen to the radio, see how long it goes for. You might find something wrong there. It may also be the charging system. The Aztek I had was charging at 9 volts - yet the dealer said that the altenator was sending out 14. I never did understand that one but did see the $1600 work order for a battery, bcm/pcm, power seat motor, seat heater switches and new hvac unit. After all that **** was replaced it worked fine until the Theftlock system stopped recognizing the key - new module there as well. Then they replaced the keyless entry control module. After all that the starting problem was solved. Only took 8 million trips to the dealer and 6 months!! :p

Hope you can get things solved soon. You should be able to use the lemon law. Something about 3 failed attempts to fix the same issue. Ask for a new one. I ended up getting a loaded Montana for an extra $50/month and it was over $9000.00 more expensive than the Aztek. All is good now. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having similar a problem with my wife's 2002 Envoy. About six months ago, the battery died after the car sat for two or three days. I jumped it off and it started with no problem. I immediately took it to the dealer to have it checked out. The service manager asked if I had any accessories plugged into the outlet. I had a cell phone charger plugged in but the phone was not hooked to it. He said that probably was the cause. He checked it to make sure and said it checked OK. The indicator on the battery had no color. It should be green when the battery is good, but he said you can't always rely on that. We had no problem for a few months until the car was not run for a couple of days. Wouldn't start again. Jumped it off with no problem. Ran for a few more months. Now it can be run one day and will not start the next morning. We have had problems with the mirrors. They never go back to the correct position. My wife took it to the dealer before the battery problems to have the mirrors checked out. They reset or calibrated something(can't remember exactly) and said it may or may not fix it. It didn't. The car has shut off at a stop, too. Can anyone recommend a course of action? I'm going to check the mirrors when I get home today. This sucks!!! I've never owned a new car before. I bought one so I wouldn't have to worry about working on a car for awhile and now I have problems with 41,000 miles on the clock. Help!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Have your dealer check the ignition switch. Some of the switches have not been indexed properly and are leaving the vehicle and concequently the BCM powered up. The is a bulletin explaining the situation as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.