GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autoweek reports that General Motors plans to build on its GTO's heritage by campaigning a factory-sponsored car into the Sports Car Club of America’s Formula Drift Series. The car will be run by former US rally star Rhys Millen.

As well, the General plans to campaing a GTO in the Grand-Am road racing series.

See - http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?por...t_code=04672616 for the full article.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8+Feb 4 2004, 08:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PontiacJ8 @ Feb 4 2004, 08:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Feb 4 2004, 03:26 PM
we know about the drifting, but the Grand Am racing is new??
The Grand Am isn't racing: 'GTO in the Grand-Am road racing series.' [/b][/quote]
thats what i ment.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Though GTOs weren't known for road racing - they raced more at the drags - they do hold a minor place in Trans Am road racing history.

This is from memory, so corrections are welcome, but I believe it was Herb Adams, noted Pontiac engineer, who campaigned a '64 GTO in Trans Am in the late '60s and early '70s against well funded Camaro, Mustang and Cougar teams.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When Pontiac pulled out of NASCAR, they said the wanted to pursue other forms of racing. How is drifting any sort of racing. It eludes me how anyone can consider this a sport.

I'll admit I know little about it but from what I have heard, it's judged like figure skating. How can a racing series determine the winner by judging the performance? The winner of the race is who gets from point A to point B the fastest

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by 2000 GTP@Feb 5 2004, 07:40 AM
When Pontiac pulled out of NASCAR, they said the wanted to pursue other forms of racing. How is drifting any sort of racing. It eludes me how anyone can consider this a sport.

I'll admit I know little about it but from what I have heard, it's judged like figure skating. How can a racing series determine the winner by judging the performance? The winner of the race is who gets from point A to point B the fastest
But, Pontiac seems to be taking a two pronged attack with the GTO. Grand Am road racing to build a reputation with older enthusiasts and built the car's credibility against European, Japanese and American competitors. Drifting - which is more of a youth-oriented, grassroots thing - to build awareness with younger people who might not have really ever considered Pontiac before.

Given the nature of the GTO as sort of a sophisitcated muscle car, that seems like a pretty reasonable strategy to me. Plus, for the kind of budget needed to get involved in NASCAR, Pontiac likely still has lots of budget left to get its products out to other forms of motorsport (autocross and drag racing come to mind).

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
the judging in a drift event is based on the smoothness of the drifts...believe it or not but smoothly tranferring from one drift to another takes alot of skill. you can overcorrect, undercorrect and end up sliding off the course. speed is also taken into account but the major portion of ones score in a drift event is from your style. I think that the GTO would be great at drift events... And technically judging speed is judging the performance...but speed doesn't require as much skill as gracefully transitioning from one drontrolled oversteer to another...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Feb 5 2004, 03:17 AM
Perhaps the US GTO wasn't known for road racing, but the Holden Monaro sure is! :D

bling bling... here is your drifting GTO... no dubs on this one yet. Throw some neons on this biotch, 2k lbs sound system, coupe tv screens, and this could be the next star in So Fast, So Furious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
[But, Pontiac seems to be taking a two pronged attack with the GTO. Grand Am road racing to build a reputation with older enthusiasts and built the car's credibility against European, Japanese and American competitors. Drifting - which is more of a youth-oriented, grassroots thing - to build awareness with younger people who might not have really ever considered Pontiac before. ]

No doubt that it is reaching a broader audience. But you must keep your audience in mind. These drifting competitions are the younger crowd, a crowd that won't be able to afford the GTO. It builds a great brand presence that they other wise would never of had. It's still the same Race on Sunday --- Sell on Monday, but man how times have changed.

I think a better choice for the GTO would be NHRA. Could you imagine a pro-street GTO at 200 MPH. Given the heritage of the GTO this is a much better fit. What made these cars great long before I was around were there straight line performance.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
i wouldnt be surprised to see a GTO top fuel car to replace teh firebird. I would love to see that.
And most of the cars in drifting comps are well out of reach for 99% of the fans, but they still seem to love the cars.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by 2000 GTP@Feb 5 2004, 11:35 AM
No doubt that it is reaching a broader audience. But you must keep your audience in mind. These drifting competitions are the younger crowd, a crowd that won't be able to afford the GTO. It builds a great brand presence that they other wise would never of had. It's still the same Race on Sunday --- Sell on Monday, but man how times have changed.

I think a better choice for the GTO would be NHRA. Could you imagine a pro-street GTO at 200 MPH. Given the heritage of the GTO this is a much better fit. What made these cars great long before I was around were there straight line performance.
Well, part of making a car desirable is making it seem desirable to other people. That's why its important that everyone knows how fast a Z06 or Viper it. Most of us won't own one, but the people who car are buying a toy that they want everyone to know is special.

"The kids" aren't the target market for the GTO - it's way too expensive. But the 30 or 40 something guy that buys one certainly is going to be happy if the teens in his neighbourhood admire his cool car. And for Pontiac, having those teens aspire to a Pontiac is key to future growth.

Pontiac should definitely go drag racing with the GTO, and I think some kind of reasonable door slammer class would make a lot of sense. I also think doing some kind of GM grassroots program, maybe bracket racing or some kind of "average guy" series with some prize money for people campaigning GTOs might be a good strategy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
EXACTLY!!!!!
Someone read my post in the thread about GM consolidating it's f-body funny cars
into the Monte Carlo Body.

Drag the GTO!!!!!
Man, GM has really forgotten what the GTO was.......

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by Tone@Feb 4 2004, 09:57 PM
This is from memory, so corrections are welcome, but I believe it was Herb Adams, noted Pontiac engineer, who campaigned a '64 GTO in Trans Am in the late '60s and early '70s against well funded Camaro, Mustang and Cougar teams.
Herb Adam's Grey Ghost was built from his wife's 64 Tempest.
The car held it's own well, but they didn't win so well due to their operation not being a well oiled machine. They'd lose a bunch of time in the pits, and while the car was able to reel back some of the places they lost, it usually wasn't enough to win.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Tone@Feb 5 2004, 06:50 PM
"The kids" aren't the target market for the GTO - it's way too expensive. But the 30 or 40 something guy that buys one certainly is going to be happy if the teens in his neighbourhood admire his cool car. And for Pontiac, having those teens aspire to a Pontiac is key to future growth.
If the kids arent the market, then tell my why the GTO is in drifting? Not many 35 and up guys watching that.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well, in all honesty, what else has Pontiac got that can drift??
Have you ever tried drifting in a sunfire?A Grand Prix?a G6?
or a Bonneville?

How about DRIFTING the Aztek?? That will give the old stability control a workout, LOL

FWD cars really suck for drifting, anless you add in four reverse gears and drive around in reverse, but your neck would get sore soon.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The kids are not the target market. It may attract the baby boomers? They are set financially and the GTO name carries with it allot of remembrance of the 'good old days' when they were young. The 30 to 40 bracket is mixed. You have the crowd like myself that is set on what the Trans Am and Mustangs offer for a sports car. Or, something more refined in the sport car arena that says 'I am doing well financially' but can show I know something of cars, that is your BMW 330 or Audi S4 market. The GTO does not really have a niche. And it is like a blank sheet that needs to be stencilled in. It cannot take the place of the Firebird or the GTO really. Those cars in todays market require a solid rear axle and bigger wells for wide tires (drag slicks).
I see the GTO becomeing a AWD sport sedan for the more relaxed ages from 35 to 60. Looking for an 'all weather' vehicle. Something that does not stand out but still says 'I am more than a Cavalier' and this actually cost over 30k.
IMO
But, I will let the salesman worry about it and GM since it affects their wallets.
Me? If I am unhappy there is another dealership down the road that can give me what I want.

B)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Stu Hayner is racing a GTO at Sebring this weekend.

The car was bought from a dealer and built to SCCA specs in a 6 week development cycle.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I see the GTO becomeing a AWD sport sedan for the more relaxed ages from 35 to 60. Looking for an 'all weather' vehicle. Something that does not stand out but still says 'I am more than a Cavalier' and this actually cost over 30k.
IMO
I think you need your eyes checked, we're talking about the GTO, the G6 discussion is in another thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts