GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT - Following the end of the 2003 NASCAR season, GM will consolidate its resources in NASCAR to exclusively support the Chevrolet Monte Carlo and further advance and solidify the dominant position enjoyed by Chevrolet in this series. Click here for more

From Nascar.com

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I am not surprised by this move. Two programs equals two cost centres and inhouse competittion. Even though under the skin the cars are the same. Pulling Pontiac out and moving the funding to other types of racing is a good move. The GTO should be raced like Holden is racing the Monaro or put the GTO in LeMans and other races where production cars actually race. Nascar is exciting but it hasn't been a stock car race for a long time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Personally, I don't find Nascar exciting at all.

When the REAL CARS (i.e. production cars) start racing in a serious televised event, I'll probably pay more attention.

Or better yet, put American performance cars against Asian ones. :) At least that way this Fast and Furious junk will go away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok u just said about the compition of chevy and pontiac. Wouldnt that be the same if the gto went against the monaro. DUM DUM

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I'm very dissappointed by this news being a lifelong Pontiac supporter and NASCAR Fan. Pontiac was truly the underdog on the track with the fewest teams but still managed to win the Winston Cup championships in 2000(Bobby Labonte) and 2002(Tony Stewart) GM spent the resources to legalize the new 2004 Grand Prix for competition this year so I thought the marque was safe for awhile but I guess not. At least they won a race this year with Ricky Craven's Tide Pontiac in the best finish of the year in the spring Darlington race.
In true Pontiac racing spirit, the only full time campaigned Grand Prix in the Busch Series this year with driver David Green leads the point standings with 3 races to go. Should he go on to win the last Pontiac Championship in NASCAR it will be an amazing upset. I guess if you must leave the sport, you may as well go out on top!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Since there's only 4 Grand Prix's in NASCAR will those 75 million fans really care when Pontiac leaves? Personally I think they should switch from the v8's to high performance 6 cyl. just because the Monte Carlo, Intrepid, & Taurus all have 6's from the factory. I think this would wake people up and give NASCAR something to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
NASCAR is the most competitive racing series out there. I for one was disappointed to see Pontiac go. In the few races I have been to Pontiac always had a good showing. But what I don't understand is where is Pontiac going to showcase there performance products if not in NASCAR? There are no other racing series that get enough coverage in North America to warrant any significant investment.
There are no cars they could use in either Trans AM or Lemans.

As for the 6Cyl. in NASCAR, that's just wrong! I say they put the V-8 in the productions cars. Now that's a gotta-have product.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Since NASCAR has absolutely nothing to do with real production cars, how can it showcase any company's technology?

Mark

·
Registered
36 Posts
Would you really want to see them showcase the technology in NASCAR. I wouldn't want to see a FWD 260 HP car with HUD and TAP shifters driving around Daytona. It's the old adage, "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday".

If Pontiac wants to promote it's self as the Performance line, it's going to need a forum. Lets face it, the days of having race cars the same as production cars are long gone!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by 2000 GTP@Oct 29 2003, 12:21 PM
But what I don't understand is where is Pontiac going to showcase there performance products if not in NASCAR? There are no other racing series that get enough coverage in North America to warrant any significant investment.
There are no cars they could use in either Trans AM or Lemans.
Please name ONE "Pontiac performance product" showcased in NASCAR now. Not 20 or 40 years ago, now. "Nascar inspired exhaust note" doesn't count.

NASCAR is fun racing, but they might as well be racing Motorcycles. They have so little to do with any GM product you can buy in the showroom. (Except racing crate engines) I'm all for NASCAR continuing as interesting racing, but I wish they'd give up the fake car names.

There's no reason to plaster "Monte Carlo" all over a RWD street-illegal V8 chassis with a fiberglass shell and headlight stickers imitating the vastly more tame and different street car.

But the Ford Taurus has to be the worst. At least the Monte Carlo has some aerodynamic similarity and 2 doors. The "Taurus" in NASCAR is a joke, and the "SHO" Taurus had a Yamaha engine to boot!
:p

I think the Trucks are more acceptable. At least they are RWD with V8 engines, even if its just another NASCAR under the skin.

·
Registered
95 Posts
GM spent all that money to legalze the GP's for competition because they can use the same body's for the monte carlo. Since they the car changed, it gives gm a chance to update their nascar template and make it as aerodynamic as possible. Now that the GP isn't going to change any time sooner than the Monte, it's not needed anymore.

Racing GTO's and Holdens in Lemans won't do the same for GM as racing Monte Carlos and Grand Prixs in NASCAR. Since the cars are identical, yet the markets are different, Pontiac and Holden can share resources and even take partial credit for each other's wins without competing with each other in vehicle sales.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Oct 31 2003, 09:34 PM
Please name ONE "Pontiac performance product" showcased in NASCAR now.  Not 20 or 40 years ago, now.  "Nascar inspired exhaust note" doesn't count.
Hmmm, those vented brakes on the Monte Carlo? Oops, that's not Pontiac.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I, too, was saddened by Pontiac's departure. Sure, the Chevy and Pontiac might be the same underneath, I still had a good feeling when the GP rolled passed the checkers in first. Even thought a chevy is a Gm product, doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. It might as well be a Ford; brand X. Pontiac all the way!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I love Pontiac and can't believe they did this, but when Joe Gibbs developed the new Grand Prix and then switched to Chevy that got my attention. Nothing against Chevy, I like them too, but I am a Pontiac guy.

I called Doug Duchardt at 313-667-1902 (he is Group Manager of GM's NASCAR program) to express my disgust. I doubt he will call me back, but it made me feel better.

If Winston Cup Championships won over the past three years was the measuring stick, all GM teams next year would be Pontiacs!!!!!

Jay Westfall
Katy, TX

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
SSman12 said:
ok u just said about the compition of chevy and pontiac. Wouldnt that be the same if the gto went against the monaro. DUM DUM
Not to get off-topic here, but SSman12, you need to make sure you either uncheck the 'Remember Me!" box at login, or to log yourself out of GMI when on computers at the OC...

I can't PM or email you, so this will have to suffice...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Solid move. Other racing is the obvious focus of Pontiac. Now if only GT and DP racing were more publicized and covered people would see what production car racing is about.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Mr. Peabody - Did somebody hit the switch on the wayback machine?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts