GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battle of trucks is always entertaining. I have heard rumors of a new SuperDuty for 07. The truck would have a knew powerstroke. It would be a 6.4 with torque around 610. This would be hefty jump in torque for Ford. I personally like the Duramax over the Ford. Ford has never got my eye the way the Chevy does. I hope GM is planning something big in 2007 because the competition will get stiff in 2007. :plasma:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I thought we were getting a new Super Duty for 05?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I read, Ford is going to change the grill a little bit and the inside of the truck will be a little different. People say it will look like the 04 1/2 ton. The major change will come in 2007 with a different body design. This is what Ford friends of mine are telling me. They get on chat rooms with other Ford lovers and talk just like us.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ford's website has a special SUPER DUTY 2005 website that showcases the new vehicle. I think it still looks ugly.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
The Ford refreshed the Super Dutys for 05 and suppose to have a new 1 for 07 and some rumors of a new diesel with twin turbos and more power. The 6.0L already has 610+ ft\lb in thier F-650\750

All 3 trucks are really good and depending on what you want to use them for is the only way that I would be able to decide which one was best for that purpose.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Jun 19 2004, 10:00 AM
Ford's website has a special SUPER DUTY 2005 website that showcases the new vehicle. I think it still looks ugly.
It's just a carbon copied Dodge. Dodge comes out with the awesome truck designs then Ford copies them because THEY'VE RUN OUT OF IDEAS!!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Originally posted by chadbarb99+Jun 21 2004, 07:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chadbarb99 @ Jun 21 2004, 07:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gmwsag@Jun 19 2004, 10:00 AM
It's just a carbon copied Dodge. Dodge comes out with the awesome truck designs then Ford copies them because THEY'VE RUN OUT OF IDEAS!!!! [/b][/quote]
Uh....I could go into a long post over what looks like who and who "must of" copied them.... The 99 to whatever Chevy 1500's i saw ford and dodge in thier styleing so by your logic they must of copied ford and dodge........i could go on and on...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
But let us talk about the full-size truck battle. Obviously, GM has a problem right now with the Silverado. Being outdated, and getting less attention, the Silverado is losing sales. The F-150 continues to provide good sales for Ford, while the Ram continues to gain on Silverado. :(

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by gmwsag@Jul 23 2004, 02:40 PM
But let us talk about the full-size truck battle. Obviously, GM has a problem right now with the Silverado. Being outdated, and getting less attention, the Silverado is losing sales. The F-150 continues to provide good sales for Ford, while the Ram continues to gain on Silverado. :(
Calander YTD sales of the Silverado/Sierra are up, not down, although it seems you never let facts interfere with your opinions. I know it's also pointless to talk about vehicle life cycles (newer designs tend to sell more, but mfg. can redesign everytime another mfg. does, Ford had the older truck design for 5 years, any of this ring a bell?) to you because you won't acknowledge they even exist.

You don't like the interiors and styling of the full-size trucks. You have said this over and over again - that's your opinion. With sales up for the year, the market obviously doesn't care as much as you.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Melvin:

While you're technically right (Silverado sales are up 915 units), Silverado sales are basically flat, rising only 0.3%. Since the market is up 2.2%, the Silverado has lost share. The Sierra has done better, rising 6,860 units (up 7.5%). F-Series is up 30,897 units (+7.7%) and the Ram Pickup is flat (up 68 units or less than 0.1%).

The other points being missed are that Chevy's flat sales are with incentives that are considerably higher than Ford, Dodge, Toyota (up 8.3%), or Nissan have on their full-sized pickups.

Ford's "older design" was older than Chevrolet's by two model years. Ford's sales were setting a record pace even when Chevrolet introduced their "new design," which was basically the old styling on an all-new truck.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Jul 23 2004, 04:04 PM
Melvin:

While you're technically right (Silverado sales are up 915 units), Silverado sales are basically flat, rising only 0.3%. Since the market is up 2.2%, the Silverado has lost share. The Sierra has done better, rising 6,860 units (up 7.5%). F-Series is up 30,897 units (+7.7%) and the Ram Pickup is flat (up 68 units or less than 0.1%).

The other points being missed are that Chevy's flat sales are with incentives that are considerably higher than Ford, Dodge, Toyota (up 8.3%), or Nissan have on their full-sized pickups.

Ford's "older design" was older than Chevrolet's by two model years. Ford's sales were setting a record pace even when Chevrolet introduced their "new design," which was basically the old styling on an all-new truck.
I tend to look at GM trucks together when I'm trying to assess how well an overall design is doing, since there's not much difference between the two.

Obviously GM trucks aren't losing ground to Dodge if GM's sales are up more than Dodges, which proves gmswag wrong on one point.

True, GM has been carrying higher incentives, but with an older truck, more design and tooling costs are paid for and there's more room for incentives. I know Ford's new F-150 is more expensive to build than their previous design, whereas GM's was designed to be built more efficiently than the previous design, so I really have to wonder what the manufacturers' margins on the actual sales are. Do you know of any place to get that kind of data? It would be interesting to see. If GM's costs are lower, then they should be selling for a lower price, whether by sticker or by rebate.

With another new player in the game (Nissan), it's not surprising if most manufacturer's market shares lose a bit - it's only natural. And Ford's market share is up, but with an all-new design, it certainly should be. If not up now, when would it ever be?

Ford's "older design" was older by 2 model years, but wasn't the previous F-150 introduced in very early '96 as a '97? The model year may be '97, but I think the truck is at least a half year older than that. As I recall, GM introduced their '99's in late summer/early fall. OK, that's a nitpick.

GM kept their styling similar because the vast majority of current owners liked the styling of their trucks at the time. Ford had a backlash when did the somewhat radical redesign of the F-150 in 1997. I'm convinced that Ford wouldn't have sold as many Super Duties in the years since then if they had styled the F-150's more conservatively. I know Ford guys who simply bought a Super Duty even though they didn't need one to get away from the F-150's styling. And even though a radical new look worked wonders for Dodge in 1994, they had absolutely no where to go but up, so they had nothing to lose. Now that they have a respectable share, their 2002-2003 redesign was fairly subtle. They learned Ford's lesson too.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by LakeMichigan+Jul 23 2004, 05:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LakeMichigan @ Jul 23 2004, 05:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MelvinJ@Jul 23 2004, 11:58 AM
And even though a radical new look worked wonders for Dodge in 1994, they had absolutely no where to go but up, so they had nothing to lose.  Now that they have a respectable share, their 2002-2003 redesign was fairly subtle.  They learned Ford's lesson too.
wasn't Dodge's truck in 1993 dated back to 1971 or 1973?? hmm and GM gets slammed for old bodies?? they had 73-91 on their CK/RV series..... [/b][/quote]
Yes, 1971, I believe.

I remember when the 1994 Ram came out, someone revealed that the old Ram was a joke even around Dodge. Dodge engineers had their own version of Ram tough: Tough to look at, tough to explain to your friends why you bought one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts