1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM Ventures Sees Potential in Fuel Saving Technology
Tula Technology’s software could be used in GM vehicles
2015-01-05

DETROIT – GM Ventures is optimistic that its 2012 equity investment in Silicon Valley-based startup Tula Technology, Inc. will result in a revolutionary new fuel economy technology that could be deployed in future gasoline engine-powered General Motors’ vehicles.

Tula’s Dynamic Skip Fire (DSF) technology integrates advanced digital signal processing with sophisticated powertrain controls to create a software-based approach to variable displacement engines. The result makes the most of vehicle fuel economy across a wide range of driving conditions.

Instead of relying on fixed cylinder deactivation or switching between fixed patterns like current multi-cylinder engines, Tula’s DSF technology continuously makes dynamic firing decisions on an individual cylinder basis to deliver the required engine torque for all vehicle speeds and loads while avoiding vibration.
More here at the link: GM Media

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I saw this at a different website so I dug up the release at GM Media. I had forgotten about GM Ventures and what they were doing but this sounds promising.

Edit: Short video at the link.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Sounds cool! Though "by as much as 15 percent when compared to a vehicle equipped with an engine that does not have cylinder deactivation' doesn't sound like much of an improvement over today's cylinder deactivation.

·
Registered
636 Posts
GM Ventures has been a gigantic waste of money and become a place where executives go to die. They are desperate to show anything that remotely sounds promising.

Regular cylinder deactivation can result in up to 12% improvement according to GM's prior press releases. http://media.gm.com/content/dam/Media/microsites/product/FuelEfficiency/doc/AFM_FactSheet.pdf

I am concerned that Tula's claims are smoke and mirrors. I'll believe it after it has been validated through EPA testing and is stated as a claim in consumer advertising.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts