GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Excellent. I love it when they can do small things like this that will be pretty much unnoticable on the sticker price but get you better mileage. And this is even before DOD comes on board.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jun 28 2004, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I am glad to see that they will do anything they can to raise the fuel economy on the trucks, even if it is 1 MPG. The Silverado does not get as good of gas milage as one may think.
In many tests I've seen, it beats all other full-size pickups though, including the smaller engined Tundra.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by nsap+Jun 28 2004, 01:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (nsap @ Jun 28 2004, 01:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 28 2004, 06:56 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-nsap
@Jun 28 2004, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I am glad to see that they will do anything they can to raise the fuel economy on the trucks, even if it is 1 MPG.  The Silverado does not get as good of gas milage as one may think.

In many tests I've seen, it beats all other full-size pickups though, including the smaller engined Tundra.
A relative has a 2004 Silverado with the 5300 and it doesn't get very good gas milage. The sticker says that is gets 15 in the city, and 18 on highway.. He said he gets about 15 with them combined. [/b][/quote]
I think my Suburban (2000) was stickered at 13/16, and I get 13/14 city and 16/17 on the highway. I think that's pretty acceptable for such a large, capable vehicle.

A friend of mine had a 2000 Sierra with the 5.3 and a 4.10 axle. He got 15 around town and on the highway, which makes sense I guess. Around town, the lighter weight of his pickup would get better mileage than me, but the extra RPMs on the highway (I have 3.73s) took it away.

My brother-in-law just got a 2004 Sierra 2WD with an extended cab and the 4.8 V8. With less than 1000 miles on the odometer, he's gotten close to 20 mpg.

My very first vehicle when I was 16, a 1973 Blazer, got around 8 mpg when I first got it! After a tuneup, and moderating my driving habits a bit, mileage soared to 10-11 mpg.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by obbop@Jul 30 2004, 09:50 PM
For what it's worth:

Silverado 2004 long bed 4-speed auto tranny, 4.8L, 4x4, stock, 3,000 miles on it....

Springfield Missouri to Omaha Nebraska, pretty darn flat... no mountains, anyway. Quite a bit of 65 and 70 mph driving. Drove through towns for around 20 miles of the trip. A small amount of stop and go in the cities.

20.5 mpg. Figures are accurate. Did not drive in an attempt to increase mileage. Wind not a factor.

That's not shabby for a full-size pick-em-up truck.
A 270 hp full-size 4X4 pickup getting 20.5 mpg. That is outstanding. I'd like to hear more stories like this because I really believe that GM has a solid advantage here. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.