GM Inside News Forum banner

GM trucks are starting to get on my nerves

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  diablo4 
#1 ·
I just read on another site that in 2006 Dodge is planing to update the Ram. There is also talk of a 6.1L Hemi and something called a "Mega Cab". This along with the power wagon and V10 is giving Dodge a huge advantage. And when all this is said and done.. GM WILL STILL HAVE THE SAME TRUCKS THEY HAVE NOW! By the time GM does bring something new out their momentum will be gone and they will be the laughing stock of the truck world. Even the Asian companies are getting ahead. Gm needs to get their act together.

#3 ·
Originally posted by MelvinJ@Jun 17 2004, 07:27 PM
This isn't based on the faulty assumption from another thread that the full-sized trucks won't be redesigned until 2008, is it?
No assumption here, I read from an internal newsource about where they already begun rearranging (this will take place over the next 4 years) in some areas to make way for the GMT-900 2008 new model vehicles. I work within GM-Oshawa right near the C/K Truck Plant and plenty of times get to see next years models before they are saleable (pilot vehicles). I wouldn't have posted that tid-bit of info if it didn't come from GM.

#4 ·
Originally posted by SS4EVER+Jun 18 2004, 06:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SS4EVER @ Jun 18 2004, 06:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MelvinJ@Jun 17 2004, 07:27 PM
This isn't based on the faulty assumption from another thread that the full-sized trucks won't be redesigned until 2008, is it?
No assumption here, I read from an internal newsource about where they already begun rearranging (this will take place over the next 4 years) in some areas to make way for the GMT-900 2008 new model vehicles. I work within GM-Oshawa right near the C/K Truck Plant and plenty of times get to see next years models before they are saleable (pilot vehicles). I wouldn't have posted that tid-bit of info if it didn't come from GM. [/b][/quote]
OK, until today I didn't realize that the SUV's were coming out first, then the pickups. Still, it will be an early 2008 release in mid 2007.

#5 ·
Originally posted by MelvinJ+Jun 18 2004, 01:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MelvinJ @ Jun 18 2004, 01:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by SS4EVER@Jun 18 2004, 06:03 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MelvinJ
@Jun 17 2004, 07:27 PM

No assumption here, I read from an internal newsource about where they already begun rearranging (this will take place over the next 4 years) in some areas to make way for the GMT-900 2008 new model vehicles. I work within GM-Oshawa right near the C/K Truck Plant and plenty of times get to see next years models before they are saleable (pilot vehicles). I wouldn't have posted that tid-bit of info if it didn't come from GM.
OK, until today I didn't realize that the SUV's were coming out first, then the pickups. Still, it will be an early 2008 release in mid 2007. [/b][/quote]
Correct, all the next year models here at the C/K Truck plant begin in Mid-July. I see quite a few 05 models already because they were built with the 04's as a run-through.

#6 ·
I just read on another site that in 2006 Dodge is planing to update the Ram.  There is also talk of a 6.1L Hemi and something called a "Mega Cab".  This along with the power wagon and V10 is giving Dodge a huge advantage.  And when all this is said and done.. GM WILL STILL HAVE THE SAME TRUCKS THEY HAVE NOW!  By the time GM does bring something new out their momentum will be gone and they will be the laughing stock of the truck world.  Even the Asian companies are getting ahead.  Gm needs to get their act together.
if its power you want,isnt 8.1 engine hot enough?
also there's Duramax diesel,that can do 12sec in the quarter with slight mods :D
seewww.62-65-dieselpage.com

#7 ·
Is the Ram going to be a completly new platform or just have some minor body style changes, interior changes and changes to their engine line up. If this is what Dodge is doing than it is no different than what GM has been doing with it's truck line over the past couple of years. Dodge does seem to change there styling quite often, but I feel the product they produce is lacking in quality. I see a lot of people getting rid of their Hemi's because of lack of performance and trans issues. So I will stick with my Chevy any day. Quality is a whole other issue, I know...

I do agree that platform changes are going to have to come more often in order to be competitive in the future. Especially with most of the foreign maufactures building FS Trucks and SUV's now. If the new truck platform is out in 07' as an 08' model than it will be 9 years on the same platform for the 1/2 ton trucks and 7 years for the 3/4 - 1 ton trucks. That is a long time, but they are still selling a lot of trucks even without the platform change. I think GM is realizing what they need to do to become more competitive, so hopefully they will be taking the right steps in the future to stay competitive...

#8 ·
Sorry, but these truck rants are starting to get as bad as the F-body ones. GM had a fresh design on Ford and Dodge for 4 years, now they have teh advantage. GM had an advantage and now they do. GM is doing a good job of updating them, horsepower has steadily gone up in a few engines, they got a new front end last year, they've added cab choices and unique options like four wheel steering, ect.

It seems there's a new post every day on this, seems redundant enough.

#9 ·
:lol: i heard about Dodge and their two lines of powerful trucks comming out.They are planning on an upstroked 6.1litre V8hemi that should be good for 375bhp.No need to fear,GM has the Dodge and Ford boys at bay.Dodge is trying to dethrone GM from having the most available horsepower and torque.Both of the GM twins(which are aging)outsell Dodge trucks even on a bad day.Ford F150 has had the luxury of being the #1 selling pick-up truck in North America since the mid seventies,but if you factored in the Chevrolet and GMC (which are twins)and combined them together,GM actuall sells more trucks than Ford.When it comes down to the Dodge being a threat to GM,I laugh.Because that sounds like a joke.
Both Chevrolet and GMC have a higher resale value than Ford or Dodge and there are more GM trucks on the road.The viper Rt/10 is sweet,but it's on a halo vehicle for the dodge camp.Chevrolet should make the 572 big block emissions legal and stuff it between the fenders of limited edition silverados.To keep customers satisfied until the new models arrive,Chevrolet and GMC should introduce some "high-horse" limited edition trucks.Ford has a 500bhp dohc V8 comming in the upcomming lightning,and Chevrolet still doesn't have a true legitimate answer to this.sure the ss is sweet,but it can't hold a candle to the current lightning that already makes 385bhp(which is actually more like 450bhp).Fords always down rate their engines.

#11 ·
I have two trucks; an 03 Dodge 4x4 Quad Cab (360), completely loaded, and for a company vehicle an 04' silverado LS Xtra Cab 2WD w/ the 4.8 litre. This is my second 04' chevy, the first was passed on to another employee w/ aprox. 10K on the odometer.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Nonetheless, somebody made a remark about Dodge's lack of quality. From my experience with two brand new Chevy's I can tell you that the Dodge's build quality is superior to that of the Chevy's. Both of the Chevy's had squeaks & rattles within 5K miles. The Dodge has a much stiffer frame which provides a solid, controlled ride. It has rack & pinion steering, which is verysharp and responsive. You'll find yourself oversteering at first, as one does not expect a truck to handle like a car. My wife says it's easier to park than her Volvo C70. Equipped w/ the the 20In. wheel package, the Dodge will pull .80G on the skid pad--unheard of in a truck. The worst problem w/ the Dodge is gas mileage. They have much work to do in this arena to catch up to GM. Not too many companies can touch the General when it comes to powerplant design.

Love my Chevy too, however, hopping from vehicle to another, one can instantly see that the Chevy is outdated, and needs a redesign ASAP. The Dodge's Cab is far roomier, or at least it feels that way.

All American vehicles have quality issues. I worked in Auto Parts distribution for fifteen years, and from my experience, the life expectancy of components from the big three is approximately the same. Japanese components last almost twice as long, but cost at least a 1/3rd more

If you want resale value buy a Toyota. None of the American manufactuer's can compete w/ Toyota in that respect.

#12 ·
Sorry, but these truck rants are starting to get as bad as the F-body ones. GM had a fresh design on Ford and Dodge for 4 years, now they have teh advantage. GM had an advantage and now they do. GM is doing a good job of updating them, horsepower has steadily gone up in a few engines, they got a new front end last year, they've added cab choices and unique options like four wheel steering, ect.
I couldn't agree more. It seems to me that GM looks at a lot of stuff before they change something. If you are getting tired of GM trucks then buy one of the other companies trucks. Since you guys say they are so great.

Yes, Dodge does have powerful engines, but they don't get as good as fuel mileage and GM still sells more than them and there is no sign that Dodge is going to out sell GM. That goes for all the other trucks except Ford. It is just that more people buy the F-Series for some odd reason. IMO ther is nothing wrong with the GM Trucks now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.