GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
GM Trademarks "Velite" Name
Posted on 12.1.2014
by Ciprian Florea

About 10 years ago, Buick showcased the 2004 Velite concept at the 2004 New York Auto Show . It was a roadster study designed by Bertone that followed the Bengal, a much more impressive concept in terms of styling, but one that was never considered to be a viable production vehicle. The Velite was introduced as a more practical version of the Bengal, but it never became a production car. Now a decade later, GM has filed a trademark application with United States Patent & Trademark Office for the term "Velite."

The manufacturer filed the application on November 19th, 2014, under the "Goods and Services" category for "motor land vehicles, namely, automobiles, sport utility vehicles, trucks, vans, engines therefor and structural parts thereof." GM previously applied for the trademark back in 2011 and although it has not been granted, it has received a fifth extension to submit a Statement of Use document. The office allows applicants a total of six extensions to submit the Statement of Use, which means GM is about to use the trademark in real-world product.

CONTINUE AT TOPSPEED.COM

********************************​

Original Comments posted by usayjim2:
Buick Velite , say it ain't so !
GM has filed for a patent on the name and previously the name was associated with a Buick project . For some reason , a car with the name starting with a V doesn't roll off the tongue , vvvvvvvvvvery too well so that perhaps if Buick is the future recipient , why not pick anything but a V , vplease ! Perhaps it's the memory of the only other V named GM car that I can recall , the Chevy Vega , that god foresaken compact !

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Re: Buick Velite , say it ain't so !

Buick Velite = Opel Cascada, I think.

Well as the Buick Velite was a roadster concept back in 2002 that would certainly seem plausible. Perhaps they thought Cascada evoked images of dishwashers here in the U.S.? Buick Velite sounds okay to me.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts

GM has filed for a patent on the name and previously the name was associated with a Buick project . For some reason , a car with the name starting with a V doesn't roll off the tongue , vvvvvvvvvvery too well so that perhaps if Buick is the future recipient , why not pick anything but a V , vplease ! Perhaps it's the memory of the only other V named GM car that I can recall , the Chevy Vega , that god foresaken compact !

Errr...memory problems much? V E R A N O! Oh and Vauxhall had V named cars for decades. Velox, Victor, Viscount, Ventora, Viva, Vectra, VX4/90 & VX220. Stateside:pontiac Ventura, Saturn Vue, and ta da! Chevrolet Volt.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,489 Posts

Well as the Buick Velite was a roadster concept back in 2002 that would certainly seem plausible. Perhaps they thought Cascada evoked images of dishwashers here in the U.S.? Buick Velite sounds okay to me.
Sounds plausible to me.
Sounds ok to me, though it does also sound like a type of cheese.
My thought was that the name referred to something dietary in nature or for diabetics.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,625 Posts

I like the name Velite more than Cascada. Has a little be more of an elegant sound

I still wish Buick would do something with their trademark of Riviera

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

It's going to fail on GMI...it isn't RWD

Yeah but cheese is associated with wine which can be very expensive, and Cascada sounds like Cascade and that is is associated with dirty dishes. Velite FTW
Cascade is a high end suburb of Grand Rapids so...

·
Registered
16,689 Posts

What is this thread for?

·
Registered
13,172 Posts

How is the name pronounced?

Veee- light?

·
Registered
666 Posts

On the concept car, the name script had an accent over the first "e" of Velite, which would make it VAY-lite. But in the latest trademark application, no such accent is indicated.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts