GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Initial quality, again?..................

So if we move a decimal place; top is 8 problems, in 10 cars and the bottom is 14 problems, in 10 cars.
(excluding the "bad" outliers)

Might explain why when I first took my truck in for my free oil change and a few warranty concerns, they wouldn't document them on the RO?

Maybe the ones that are "better" are the ones that are better at avoiding customer problems?

This says "dependability" study, which I think is for three years of ownership. So it's a good survey for GM to have done so well in.

As predictable as night following day. Any time that GM does well in some quality survey, people will come out to explain how it really wasn't so great.

·
Premium Member
33,258 Posts
This says "dependability" study, which I think is for three years of ownership. So it's a good survey for GM to have done so well in.

As predictable as night following day. Any time that GM does well in some quality survey, people will come out to explain how it really wasn't so great.
Plus this is much more scientific than CR, since it looks at actual data, independent of a self feed back look, so sample data is well controlled

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Some of those like/dislikes made little to no sense to me..."Like/dislike how vehicle holds personal items where you want them?" How picky are people? Why is that even a question All I need is for my pistol to fit in my center armrest and the rest of my **** can go on the passenger seat or trunk.
I saw that too, I'd love to better understand that metric as I don't get what it is telling us. As far as I know these vehicles are competitive as far as airbags and crash protections. So I don't get it. And this says "how the vehicles protect in an accident", this mean when IN an accident. At first I thought it was GM being dinged for charging for all the electronic safety nannies or not even available on certain trims. But this says "IN an accident", once you are in an accident it is past the point of any of those safety nannies helping you. The safety nannies help you AVOID the accident.
my pure-guess is that the survey has questions with specific choices that are likely worded differently then what we see here
the first one IMHO could range from centre console NOT holding a large pistol to lack of load securement points on the back to tie SH** down to
and as for the second one I assume it is pure "gut feeling" people have that a "CHEVY" is not a safety conscience brand like Toyota that is advertising "safety sense" or whatever there "nanny pack" is referred to and how many consumers know the difference between pre accident features and post accident features

·
Premium Member
33,258 Posts
my pure-guess is that the survey has questions with specific choices that are likely worded differently then what we see here
the first one IMHO could range from centre console NOT holding a large pistol to lack of load securement points on the back to tie SH** down to
and as for the second one I assume it is pure "gut feeling" people have that a "CHEVY" is not a safety conscience brand like Toyota that is advertising "safety sense" or whatever there "nanny pack" is referred to and how many consumers know the difference between pre accident features and post accident features
I may be wrong, but this study I believe looks at repairs at the dealership per 100 vehicles , so it’s totally dealership data driven

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
This says "dependability" study, which I think is for three years of ownership.
You got it ksr. 2021 VDS rates model year 2018 cars and light trucks in the third year of ownership. Here is the official statement from J.D. Power regarding the methodology for this survey:

J.D. Power said:
The [VDS] study, now in its 32nd year, measures the number of problems per 100 vehicles (PP100) experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of three-year-old vehicles. A lower score reflects higher dependability, and the study covers 177 specific problems grouped into eight major vehicle categories: audio/communication/entertainment/navigation (ACEN); engine/transmission; exterior; interior; features/controls/displays (FCD); driving experience; heating, ventilation and air conditioning; and seats.

The 2018 model-year vehicles measured in this year’s study were first examined in the J.D. Power 2018 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS),SM when new-vehicle quality had improved for the fourth consecutive year and reached its best level ever. Six of the 10 brands that ranked highest in that study also appear among the ten highest ranked in the 2021 VDS.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,681 Posts
You got it ksr. 2021 VDS rates model year 2018 cars and light trucks in the third year of ownership. Here is the official statement from J.D. Power regarding the methodology for this survey:
Thanks for the clarification. Good to know....

·
Registered
20,210 Posts

The study, now in its 32nd year, measures the number of problems per 100 vehicles (PP100) experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of three-year-old vehicles.

Ironically, my GMC would have done worse if they documented my concerns on the RO.

Plus this is much more scientific than CR, since it looks at actual data, independent of a self feed back look, so sample data is well controlled
I did include these same issues in my CR questionnaire, so in my case CR is actually "more scientific" (and more accurate).

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
The study, now in its 32nd year, measures the number of problems per 100 vehicles (PP100) experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of three-year-old vehicles.

Ironically, my GMC would have done worse if they documented my concerns on the RO.

Not sure what your point is here, Ed. You had originally said "initial quality" to describe this study. I pointed out that it wasn't an initial quality survey. Is your bolded pointed refuting me somehow? I don't get it.

I don't think of a three-year old car as "old," but that's the vehicles being studied here. GM did pretty well. Honda, legendary Honda, continued a years-long downward trend and did really poorly.

Reactions: wallus13
21 - 28 of 28 Posts