·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
JD Power Best Cars and Trucks of 2021
Link

Highest-Ranked Brands

Lexus
ranks highest in overall vehicle dependability among all brands, with a score of 81 PP100. This is the ninth time in 10 years that Lexus ranks highest. Porsche (86 PP100) ranks second, followed by Kia (97 PP100), Toyota (98 PP100), Buick (100 PP100) and Cadillac (also 100 PP100) and Chevrolet were above average just a little bit behind the leaders with (115 PP 100) .

Not so good was GMC the poorest performing of the GM brands in this study. GMC owners reported an average of 143 problems per 100 vehicles, which placed it near the very bottom of the survey results.

General Motors Company receives four segment awards for the Buick Envision, Chevrolet Camaro, Chevrolet Silverado HD and Chevrolet Tahoe.

JD Power 2021 Rankings - General Motors (Broken into smaller class categories)

Higher the score the better

12 Golds (1st Placed)

Buick Encore (Small SUV Winner)
Buick Envision (Compact SUV Joint Winner)
Cadillac Escalade (Premium Large SUV Winner)
Cadillac XT4 (Compact Premium SUV Winner)
Chevrolet Blazer (Mid Sized SUV Winner)
Chevrolet Camaro (Midsize Sporty Car Winner)
Chevrolet Colorado (Small Midsized Pick-Up Joint Winner)
Chevrolet Equinox (Compact SUV Joint Winner)
Chevrolet Silverado (Full Sized Joint Truck Winner)
Chevrolet Tahoe (Large SUV Winner)
GMC Cannon (Small Midsized Pick-up Joint Winner)
GMC Sierra 1500 (Large Light Duty Winner)

5 Silvers (2nd Placed)
GMC Terrain (Compact SUV Runner Up)
Chevrolet Spark (Small Car Runner Up)
Chevrolet Trax (Small SUV Runner Up)
Chevrolet Traverse (Midsize Runner Up)
GMC Yukon (Large SUV Runner Up)
GMC Sierra (Full Sized Truck Runner Up)

3 Bronze (3rd Place)
Chevrolet Suburban (Large SUV)
Cadillac XT5 (Mid Sized Premium SUV)
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 (Large Light Duty Pick-Up)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
GM's Marketing Department need to take notice advertise this a bit more, what it's buyers owners are saying about it's "products" more, rather than doing silly Norway adverts.

There are few things it's owners don't like, that GM's superb Engineering Department could sort out in the next refresh.

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
GM is doing good lately and I think they need to be advertising these kinds of things as well.
Funny thing is, I bet if GM "swept" the bottom the news outlets would pick that up. Yet not a peep about Honda. I guarantee it if we did a poll, of the general public, about the quality perceptions people have of auto makes, most people will place Honda at the top. That means people are buying Honda's thinking they are top quality when they aren't - to me that is a news worthy story. Maybe not headline news, but worthy of a story.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts
Funny thing is, I bet if GM "swept" the bottom the news outlets would pick that up. Yet not a peep about Honda. I guarantee it if we did a poll, of the general public, about the quality perceptions people have of auto makes, most people will place Honda at the top. That means people are buying Honda's thinking they are top quality when they aren't - to me that is a news worthy story. Maybe not headline news, but worthy of a story.
Of course. The media and the public for the most part hold Honda and to a degree also Toyota as sacred cows. Heaven Forbid they'd tell it like it is and stir things up.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
GM is doing good lately and I think they need to be advertising these kinds of things as well.
They are. Here's a Chevrolet "Real Actors, Not People" spot from 2019 that goes into more detail about J.D. Power quality awards than I've ever seen before in a car commercial:

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Lexus, Cadillac, Porsche, Buick...all brands whose cars are likely driven half as much as say Chevrolet, Toyota, Ford, etc....a car can't break if it isn't driven....id like to see something along the lines of a problems per 10k miles driven. that'll give us a more accurate take on overall reliability. That being said, KIAs rating is impressive.

So no one finds it strange that Cadillac and Buick are way at the top while Chevy and GMC are average or below average? They're all pretty much the same car w/ a few nips, tucks, and sparkles thrown in.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I never put much stock into these lists but this can’t hurt. Good job GM, particularly Cadillac that ranks higher than almost all the competition.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Cadillac Escalade "Owners don't like interior styling of your vehicle" ???

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,355 Posts
Cadillac Escalade "Owners don't like interior styling of your vehicle" ???
Apparently so according to J.D. Power VDS. Keep in mind the 2021 VDS represents MY 2018 vehicles - not the current model year. Of course, the 2021 Escalade's interior design is a dramatic leap forward compared to the previous generation.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So no one finds it strange that Cadillac and Buick are way at the top while Chevy and GMC are average or below average? They're all pretty much the same car w/ a few nips, tucks, and sparkles thrown in.
Someone that owns a Cadillac or Buick product is much more likely to do all of the maintenance required. They are also more likely to not drive it like a moron. While I do admit that Toyota makes mostly reliable products, when is the last time you saw one of those vehicles doing stupid ****? Beating on a car will make a difference down the road.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,685 Posts
Lexus, Cadillac, Porsche, Buick...all brands whose cars are likely driven half as much as say Chevrolet, Toyota, Ford, etc....a car can't break if it isn't driven....id like to see something along the lines of a problems per 10k miles driven. that'll give us a more accurate take on overall reliability. That being said, KIAs rating is impressive.

There is a lot to that. It's the usage that exposes these ills within certain vehicles. But the more gimmicks there are the more prone to failure too. So .......

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
There is a lot to that. It's the usage that exposes these ills within certain vehicles. But the more gimmicks there are the more prone to failure too. So .......
It's usage that exposes ills with ALL vehicles. The point w/ the Cadillac/Buick remark that I was trying to make without mentioning is that those 2 brands have a higher avg age of buyer than Chevy/GMC that they share architecture with...it's known that older buyers drive waaaaay less and because of that lack of usage, their cars break less. Same with Ford/Lincoln....Lincoln enjoys a below industry avg of 106 probs per 100, but Ford sees a higher and below average 130 per 100 despite 100% of Lincoln's vehicles being a direct derivative of an existing Ford product. Also to note: Lincoln has one of the highest avg age buyers in the industry.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
the thing I found "interesting" and GM needs to take note of is a LOT of "dislikes" are for "how well they believe the vehicle protects in an accident" with the XT4 / 'NOX / envision

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
the thing I found "interesting" and GM needs to take note of is a LOT of "dislikes" are for "how well they believe the vehicle protects in an accident" with the XT4 / 'NOX / envision
Some of those like/dislikes made little to no sense to me..."Like/dislike how vehicle holds personal items where you want them?" How picky are people? Why is that even a question All I need is for my pistol to fit in my center armrest and the rest of my **** can go on the passenger seat or trunk.

·
Registered
16,941 Posts
I saw that too, I'd love to better understand that metric as I don't get what it is telling us. As far as I know these vehicles are competitive as far as airbags and crash protections. So I don't get it. And this says "how the vehicles protect in an accident", this mean when IN an accident. At first I thought it was GM being dinged for charging for all the electronic safety nannies or not even available on certain trims. But this says "IN an accident", once you are in an accident it is past the point of any of those safety nannies helping you. The safety nannies help you AVOID the accident.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Initial quality, again?..................

So if we move a decimal place; top is 8 problems, in 10 cars and the bottom is 14 problems, in 10 cars.
(excluding the "bad" outliers)

Might explain why when I first took my truck in for my free oil change and a few warranty concerns, they wouldn't document them on the RO?

Maybe the ones that are "better" are the ones that are better at avoiding customer problems?

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
As usual, brands jump all over the place because there's no difference one to another.
So, what does this all mean? Buy what you like and don't worry about "dependability"!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts