GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
BUT how many buyers NOW find the KONA EV that much MORE appealing? and for how long until consumers "forget" about the Bolts recalls / car-bbq attempts
I test drove both the Kona EV and the Bolt. The Bolt is cheaper and has another advantage : the floor is flat under the first row. That allows my kids to put their feets under the first row-seats , thus gaining a few centimeters and a lot of comfort for any drive that last more than 30 minutes.

We will order it blue with the optional wheels. Gasoline is getting expensive and electricity is cheap here.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I realize I may not be a mathematician but 2 billion dollars to fix 73,000 vehicles?

$23k per sounds pretty inefficient.
Nah...but your word problem solving needs a little work. Total cost 1.8B...that first .8B was to fix the first 69k cars. The additional 1B is to fix the new 73k...so take that 69k add 73k then divide the 1.8B by the sum and you have your rough per unit cost...somewhere around 12k per

Reactions: emh

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
Nah...but your word problem solving needs a little work. Total cost 1.8B...that first .8B was to fix the first 69k cars. The additional 1B is to fix the new 73k...so take that 69k add 73k then divide the 1.8B by the sum and you have your rough per unit cost...somewhere around 12k per
That makes more sense.

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Imagine how much market share they'd have today if they put forth this effort with LIM gasket failures in the 3100s, 3400s, and 3800s back in the late90s early 00s.

I'm a huge fan of this...GM is recognizing a wide spread issue and addressing it as opposed to the old GM way of telling owners "tough titties" we know it's a problem but,, you're 3k outside your warranty - the good news is that the replacement part is only $80, the bad news is that it'll take $1,000 worth of labor to fix it.
Somewhere, someone thought spontaneously combusting vehicles in the family garage at night posed a bit more risk and liability than a set of wheezy gaskets.

Thanks for the math correction, I recall the first one was in the ~$11.5K range.

Considering the cost of housing and "total replacement value", this $12,000 is actually the bargain of 2021.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good on GM for (finally) doing the right thing here instead of continuing to try to bury the real problem under software band-aids.

This does go back to LG. Hopefully the supply contract is structured in a way that lets GM recoup most of the cost from LG. The wording in this press release is a lot more direct in pointing the finger squarely at LG than in the past too.

The real big questions now are: 1. does going after LG to recoup this cost jeopardize the Ultium relationship?, and 2) even if it doesn't, does (and can) GM still trust LG to deliver the Ultium batteries without similar problems?
LG :unsure:
- Ironically my neighbors 9 year old LG Refrigerator just died on Friday, about an hour after he called for service, he gets a text message that his parts have been ordered and are scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. They haven't even come out to look at it!? Apparently they already know the compressor is junk.........

But to your point here, this "damages the relationship" it's like two people getting married after only a short courtship and both side realizing the person they just married isn't who they thought they were, and suddenly feeling sick, and there isn't anything they can do about in now.......... :sick:

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,884 Posts
I'm a huge fan of this...GM is recognizing a wide spread issue and addressing it as opposed to the old GM way of telling owners "tough titties" we know it's a problem but,, you're 3k outside your warranty - the good news is that the replacement part is only $80, the bad news is that it'll take $1,000 worth of labor to fix it.
+1
As I mentioned in another thread, GM's actions with the Bolt recall suggest a more customer focused culture at the company. Hopefully among GM senior executives it's just that, and not mere damage control for GM's "Zero, Zero, Zero" agenda.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Thermal runaway is a dreadful thing is it safe to leave Bolt EV's outside in places like California that can be a tinderbox?

GM's software fix for the first Bolt EV recall never worked then, as cars that had this fix still caught fire.

This Bolt EV had the GM's first recall software fix, and still caught fire.

Hyundai EV buses have been catching fire as well, using these dodgy LG Chem batteries.

It was lucky nobody got hurt.

With all the California, Greek forest fires and Aussie bush fires we have been having this year the last thing you want is EV cars catching fire with thermal runaway problems heating up the planet, ramping up global warming everywhere.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
All of the earlier model were sold with a $9,000 loss on the roof, and got huge subsidies from taxpayers as well.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
All of the earlier model were sold with a $9,000 loss on the roof, and got huge subsidies from taxpayers as well.
That's all fine and good...it isn't really, so I'm now befuddled as to why Tesla was able to sell the Model 3 at 50k for profit but GM needed a 7k subsidy to sell a Bolt at 41 grand at a 9k loss. So the Bolt had to cost as much as a model 3 to break even for GM?

That means that GMs costs to produce are out of control...and then after all that GM needs to put in another 12k to fix this. So at the end of the day, those early Bolt put GM 21k in the red...sounds a lot like old GM to me.

·
Premium Member
36,097 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of LG LG LG here. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
That's all fine and good...it isn't really, so I'm now befuddled as to why Tesla was able to sell the Model 3 at 50k for profit but GM needed a 7k subsidy to sell a Bolt at 41 grand at a 9k loss. So the Bolt had to cost as much as a model 3 to break even for GM?

That means that GMs costs to produce are out of control...and then after all that GM needs to put in another 12k to fix this. So at the end of the day, those early Bolt put GM 21k in the red...sounds a lot like old GM to me.
I think there are a few things going on here. Tesla's electronics are highly integrated. That has huge cost savings over putting together more discrete components. Another is that the Model 3 program has higher-priced (likely much higher margin) variants to balance out the $50k cars, so the overall program can be profitable even if the $50k cars aren't. OTOH, the appliance-like Bolt doesn't have those higher margin variants to rely on. Plus at Tesla's volume (and with the joint facility), they probably get much better pricing from Panasonic than GM could get from LG. Basically, Tesla was already on the Ultium's mode of operating large joint factories. On top of all that, Tesla is very vertically integrated, designing a lot of things in-house, while the Bolt was the opposite with huge chunks of the engineering outsourced to LG.

Ultium sounds a lot more Tesla-like in the approach. So GM is basically a generation behind, which probably explains the Bolt's inefficiencies.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
LG :unsure:
- Ironically my neighbors 9 year old LG Refrigerator just died on Friday, about an hour after he called for service, he gets a text message that his parts have been ordered and are scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday. They haven't even come out to look at it!? Apparently they already know the compressor is junk.........
My co-worker's (who, coincidentally, also owns a Bolt) LG clothes washer apparently fell apart with a loud bang a few months ago, flooding the entire laundry room. Their appliance repair guy apparently refused to even come out as they've seen that happen many times and it's not worth repairing.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
My co-worker's (who, coincidentally, also owns a Bolt) LG clothes washer apparently fell apart with a loud bang a few months ago, flooding the entire laundry room. Their appliance repair guy apparently refused to even come out as they've seen that happen many times and it's not worth repairing.
I usually stay away from the Koreans when it comes to household appliances...but this last go round I got a little cheap and went with Samsung...and their crap turned ugly on me day one when the water dispenser on the fridge wouldn't stop shooting water out of the dispenser...had to kill the water to the fridge until a new one arrived a month later.

Long story short, go with Whirlpool or Maytag.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I usually stay away from the Koreans when it comes to household appliances...but this last go round I got a little cheap and went with Samsung...and their crap turned ugly on me day one when the water dispenser on the fridge wouldn't stop shooting water out of the dispenser...had to kill the water to the fridge until a new one arrived a month later.

Long story short, go with Whirlpool or Maytag.
Will American Home Shield cover the issue with your Samsung fridge?

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Get a Bridgehill fire blanket for your Bolt EV if you are worried a thermal runaway battery problems, it will save your house getting burned down if your Bolt EV ever did catch fire, money well spent give you some peace of mind.

You can reuse them again, for up to 30 fires on your Bolt EV, so you could reuse it again on a South Korean made LG clothes washer or your Samsung fridge as well ever caught fire.

Reactions: Neanderthal
21 - 40 of 51 Posts