·
Registered
20,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM to Spend $1 Billion to Expand Chevy Bolt EV Recall Due to Fires

PUBLISHED FRI, AUG 20 2021 4:45 PM

Michael Wayland

KEY POINTS
  • About 73,000 vehicles in the U.S. and Canada are being added to the recall from the 2019-2022 model years, including a recently launched larger version of the car called the Bolt EUV.
  • The former recall involved about 69,000 of the cars globally, including nearly 51,000 in the U.S.
  • The recall expansion is expected to cost the automaker an additional $1 billion, bringing the recall’s total to $1.8 billion to replace potentially defective battery modules in the vehicles.
DETROIT – General Motors on Friday said it is expanding its recent recall of Chevrolet Bolt EVs to newer models of the electric car due to potential fire risk. The recall expansion is expected to cost the automaker an additional $1 billion, bringing the recall’s total to $1.8 billion to replace potentially defective battery modules in the vehicles.

GM said about 73,000 vehicles in the U.S. and Canada are being added to the recall from the 2019-2022 model years, including a recently launched larger version of the car called the Bolt EUV. The former recall involved about 69,000 of the cars globally from the 2017-2019 model years, including nearly 51,000 in the U.S.

The expanded recall now includes all Bolt EV models ever produced, casting a shadow over GM’s first mainstream electric vehicle, as it attempts to transition to exclusively sell EVs by 2035. It also adds to billions of dollars in problems for new EVs amid the Biden administration’s push for 50% of all new cars sold to be electric vehicles by 2030. The stock closed Friday’s session at $48.80, down less than 1%.

(Continued at Link)

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,876 Posts
Wow, that's a significant expansion of the recall campaign! Now, all Chevy Bolts ever sold worldwide (presumably including the Opel Ampera-e in Europe) are impacted. :eek:

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
Folks, this looks like a Great Time to get a Chibby Volt at a big discount! Go see your local Chibby dealer, TODAY!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,044 Posts
Wow, that's a significant expansion of the recall campaign! Now, all Chevy Bolts ever sold worldwide (presumably including the Opel Ampera-e in Europe) are impacted. :eek:
Yikes, this just got significantly worse, and their future is EV ? OMG :eek:
Folks, this looks like a Great Time to get a Chibby Volt at a big discount! Go see your local Chibby dealer, TODAY!
Surely you jest. But I dunno , I think at this point I'd have that in a 2nd gen. guise over the Bolt considering how this is all going down the drain.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

Surely you jest. But I dunno , I think at this point I'd have that in a 2nd gen. guise over the Bolt considering how this is all going down the drain.
As long as the Volt can be serviced long term I'd say you're right

·
Registered
20,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This problem is bad enough, but yeah monumentally larger, because the point you make here..............

GM: "In the future, every car we make is going to be a BEV, we are placing all of our efforts in this direction, and looking to get there ASAP, without reservation*"

To date every BEV we've made is at risk of spontaneously combusting, we hope our customers will continue to ignore this fact as much as we are.

Sincerely,
GM
Management .......

----------------------------------

Imagine Kraft converting all of their dairy products to soy and learning that soy keeps killing people; "seems like" a failed business model in the making!?...........

What a freaking disaster!

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,876 Posts
This problem is bad enough, but yeah monumentally larger, because the point you make here..............

GM: "In the future, every car we make is going to be a BEV, we are placing all of our efforts in this direction, and looking to get there ASAP, without reservation*"

To date every BEV we've made is at risk of spontaneously combusting, we hope our customers will continue to ignore this fact as much as we are.

Sincerely,
GM
Management .......

----------------------------------

Imagine Kraft converting all of their dairy products to soy and learning that soy keeps killing people; "seems like" a failed business model in the making!?...........

What a freaking disaster!
+1
My wife and I are exercising greater caution when charging our 2015 Chevy Spark EV overnight in the garage. Even though Spark EV uses different batteries and charging hardware/software, GM's message is indeed "every BEV we've made is at risk". Better safe than sorry.

Hmm, one reason GM decided 18 years ago to take back, crush, and destroy all EV1s that were leased to customers was to avoid liability associated with a situation like the Bolt's today.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mary Barra, thanks. Thanks for nothing. Thanks for worse than nothing. $1 BILLION flushed.
Do GM shareholders get a thin mint on a pillow? A coupon for free lube? Or no lube?
What? You've stopped making the cars that don't explode and deflagrate in the garage?
You're recommending the detached stainless steel garage equipped with halon option?

Oh isn't that special.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
As long as the Volt can be serviced long term I'd say you're right
I meant Bolt. V and B are close on the keyboard. Like Bolts and faahrs.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
I love this line on the GM Cooperate News website.

GM is getting the brunt of the bad press, but it really goes back to LG.
Either someone misspelled "corporate" or else General Mary is signaling her willingness to cooperate. With who? Who knows?

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
362 Posts
My wife is now terrified to even park the Bolt in the garage - where we charge it because she doesn't want it to burn down the house. Because of that the utility of the Bolt for me has dropped like a rock. My wife doesn't care whether it is GM or LG. GM has a lot of work to do to shore up the confidence of its current Bolt owners.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
My wife is now terrified to even park the Bolt in the garage - where we charge it because she doesn't want it to burn down the house. Because of that the utility of the Bolt for me has dropped like a rock. My wife doesn't care whether it is GM or LG. GM has a lot of work to do to shore up the confidence of its current Bolt owners.
Once burned twice shy. This is bad bad bad for GM PR, a department that apparently doesn't exist. You cannot buy press like this. You can possibly conjure it up using a coven of witches stirring a big pot getting ready to cook some darling children out in the middle of the woods somewhere.

Corvair, anyone?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Good on GM for (finally) doing the right thing here instead of continuing to try to bury the real problem under software band-aids.

This does go back to LG. Hopefully the supply contract is structured in a way that lets GM recoup most of the cost from LG. The wording in this press release is a lot more direct in pointing the finger squarely at LG than in the past too.

The real big questions now are: 1. does going after LG to recoup this cost jeopardize the Ultium relationship?, and 2) even if it doesn't, does (and can) GM still trust LG to deliver the Ultium batteries without similar problems?

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Imagine how much market share they'd have today if they put forth this effort with LIM gasket failures in the 3100s, 3400s, and 3800s back in the late90s early 00s.

I'm a huge fan of this...GM is recognizing a wide spread issue and addressing it as opposed to the old GM way of telling owners "tough titties" we know it's a problem but,, you're 3k outside your warranty - the good news is that the replacement part is only $80, the bad news is that it'll take $1,000 worth of labor to fix it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts