·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 Chevrolet Cruze to Be Built at GM's Lordstown Facility
Anita Lienert
Edmunds Inside Line
8/15/08

LORDSTOWN, Ohio — General Motors will detail plans to built its 2011 Chevrolet Cruze at its Lordstown, Ohio, facility next Thursday. The announcement will include the release of the first official photos of the Cruze, which will be unveiled at the upcoming 2008 Paris Auto Show, the automaker said on Friday.

While GM did not specify in its Friday announcement that the Cruze will be built at Lordstown, industry sources confirmed for Inside Line that the small car will be built there for global consumption. The Cruze will be the "global nameplate" for the new small car, which will go on sale in Europe in spring 2009, sources said.

GM has been slowly ramping up the buzz about the Cruze. On Aug. 12, Beth Lowery, GM's vice-president of environment, energy and safety policy, told the Management Briefing Seminars in Traverse City, Michigan, that the Cruze will get better gas mileage than the vehicle it replaces, the current Chevrolet Cobalt. "The Chevy Cruze will get an additional nine miles per gallon in fuel economy when it debuts in 2010 [versus the Cobalt]," Lowery said.

SOURCE

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
So if this goes on sale in Europe next year....why the h3ll isn't GM bringing this here? This is exactly the type of product that GM needs to lead with here in the States. That interior rocks anything in the segment right now...but by 2010 it may not. If GM waits another 18 months this vehicle may once again be trailing the segment leaders.

This vehicle is more important to GM's long term future than the Camaro, SRX or CTS wagon...yet it will be sold in other countries first... Go figure. And people wonder why GM continues to lose market share.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if this goes on sale in Europe next year....why the h3ll isn't GM bringing this here? This is exactly the type of product that GM needs to lead with here in the States. That interior rocks anything in the segment right now...but by 2010 it may not. If GM waits another 18 months this vehicle may once again be trailing the segment leaders.
I have to hope that, aside from Bob Lutz' overly proud comment that the Cobalt "Still has plenty 'o life in 'er" (patting the mangy old Cobalt on the rump twice with a grin), that GM is doing everything it can to get the Cruze here as quickly as possible.

I have to hope.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Not to be a killjoy, but I seriously doubt it's going to get 45 highway. When GM says a 9 mpg improvement, my guess is they're comparing it to the "regular" Cobalt, which I believe is currently 33 mpg. That would still be 42 mpg, which would be outstanding. If it indeed meets 45 mpg highway, Toyota had better scurry back to the drawing board.

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
So this week we get photos of vehicles that will go on sale in two model years. Next week we get full disclosure of vehicles going on sale in three model years. I can't wait for September!

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
2011. Seriously. 2011. It's 2008 right now. Can you imagine GM showing the 1961 models in the summer of 1958! Outrageous.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Not to be a killjoy, but I seriously doubt it's going to get 45 highway. When GM says a 9 mpg improvement, my guess is they're comparing it to the "regular" Cobalt, which I believe is currently 33 mpg. That would still be 42 mpg, which would be outstanding. If it indeed meets 45 mpg highway, Toyota had better scurry back to the drawing board.
Actually, it sounds like GM's aiming for the 45 mpg target. From the article:

...The EPA says the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt with the 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine linked to an automatic four-speed transmission returns 24 miles per gallon in city driving and 33 mpg on the highway. The 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE with the 2.2-liter four-cylinder and five-speed manual transmission returns 25 mpg in city driving and 37 mpg on the highway. Thus, the most fuel-efficient version of the new Cruze is likely to return highway mileage somewhere around the mid-40-mpg range...
GM seems like it will be doing many things right by this car: vastly improved fuel economy; globally sold; vastly improved interior design; solid exterior design. It seems like the only [significant] thing done wrong is the rather leisurely time to market.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Question: Since Cruz is replacing Cobalt, does anyone know if there will also be a Cruze coupe version? And if indeed there is to be a coupe, will we see a Cruze SS Turbo to replace the Cobalt SS Turbo? If anyone has any info on these questions please let us know.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I think GM needs to release this information to prove to the stock market that they have salavation products on the way. Of course, this also means that everyone and their grandma gets to see what's comin'. This gives them all time to catch up with GM's stellar interior designs before the new GMs even hit the streets. I guess GM is caught between a rock and a hard place these days.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
that interior is nice!

45 usmpg is incredible! that's near diesel efficiency, sulev/pzev, and at the current cobalt price point. i'd love to see a micro hybrid as an option.

even the yaris with a 1.5L engine only gets 37 mpg. i'm thinking the cruze will have hcci. i heard gm is releasing an hcci vehicle soon. 2010 cars are coming out in 1.5 years. i think gm can save its money til then, and i think the cobalt will hold the fort 'til then.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I have to hope that, aside from Bob Lutz' overly proud comment that the Cobalt "Still has plenty 'o life in 'er" (patting the mangy old Cobalt on the rump twice with a grin), that GM is doing everything it can to get the Cruze here as quickly as possible.
:lmao:

Seriously, this has the potential to have a far greater positive impact on GM's sales and the bottom line. I have to agree with Ming that GM better be doing everything they can to get this here soon.

Also, the 45mpg number isn't going to make this car standout in Europe -- a market with lots of diesels and fuel-sipping tiny cars. But this could make a real splash in the US market if it comes out within a year.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,108 Posts
2011. Seriously. 2011. It's 2008 right now. Can you imagine GM showing the 1961 models in the summer of 1958! Outrageous.
2011 doesn't mean 2011.
It means anytime after 1/1/10, which is only 16 months from now.
They're gonna let the Europeans test 'em for a year to make sure the Cruze is bug-free before its released here.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I hope the 2011 is a ploy to throw off other auto makers to the real date and if it is 3 or 4 months after the euro introduction to ramp production up then it is fine. It also could be a plan to keep cobalt sales up rather than have people wait for the Cruze.

·
Registered
194 Posts
So this week we get photos of vehicles that will go on sale in two model years. Next week we get full disclosure of vehicles going on sale in three model years. I can't wait for September!
Exactly, the cars being introduced in September as 2009 models are going to seem very old and tired, because most of us have seen the 2010 models and later all over the web. The new models belong in the dealers showroom and
not in previews all over the place. I suprised that the dealers haven't complained about this, it makes the product they do have very hard to sell.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it will be more like 42mpg. Everyone's talking highway mileage too, so we have to remember they may be indicating 9+mpg city and/or combined efficiency as well. Still good news though.

As for the Cobalt, I think they may sell it concurrently with the Cruze so as to satisfy the cheap entry level crowd and venture into the where-no-GM-has-gone-before more upscale compact car realm. If this is the only way GM would be brave enough to enter the segment, then so be it. Hopefully they don't wait as long as they say they will though, as this car is more important than all the new crossovers combined.

One thing that would be really great to see, is a 20% restyled nose/tail for better aero and unique appearance fitted with the 6 speed, narrow tires, and the BAS system. That would really push the Cruze into Prius territory! They could probably do this without the styling tweaks, but it would sell much better with a more unique identity. The Civic Hybrid, for instance, is not as strong a seller so Honda has opted instead for a Prius knock-off.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts