GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM to Fix 'Leap Year' Software Glitch in Pontiac
Mar 22,12:18 PM ET

DETROIT (Reuters) - What day is it? Don't ask the driver of General Motors Corp.'s Pontiac Grand Prix.

Due to a software glitch, the computer display in the 2004 model year Grand Prix shows the wrong day of the week, Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson said on Monday. Engineers overlooked the fact that 2004 is a leap year, with an extra day,

"Somehow or other, the fact that this was a leap year got missed," Hopson said. "We are working on a solution."

GM may be able to fix the problem by resetting the software. A more costly solution could include replacing the display unit, he said.

The redesigned Grand Prix went on sale last March, and all models since then could potentially be affected by the glitch, Hopson said.

Article Here

·
Registered
604 Posts
yup... I was asking about this in the forums back in January since I'm having this problem with my Comp G. I was told it only effects cars equiped with the 6 disc Monsoon system. I asked my dealer again last week when I could expect a fix, and they didn't even remember me complaining about it before and claimed to know nothing of the issue. Here's the letter I got from GM:

1-22-04

Thank you for contacting the Pontiac Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to your 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix programming concerns.

Pontiac Motor Division has announced a concern with 2004 Pontiac Grad Prix models equipped with a 6 disc CD changer. Owners of vehicles equipped with this option will experience a concern when programming day, and date information into the Drivers' Information Center. Wrong day information will be displayed with correct date information. This is a radio software issue that conflicts with preprogrammed calendar leap year information. To correct this condition, customers will have to have their radio exchanged by their dealership. Delco is working with suppliers to obtain a validated replacement supply of radios. Customers are not being referred to dealers for replacement until Delco has replaced all existing radios in stock for exchange. Owners will be notified at that time. This will be done in the near future. We apologize about any inconvenience this may cause.

Your file number is 1-181129917. If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or call our Pontiac Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-762-2737. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Again, thank you for contacting Pontiac.

Sincerely,

Shawn Brown
Customer Relationship Manager
Pontiac Customer Assistance Center

·
Registered
710 Posts
This is what happens when car makers start thinking for you.
Aren't you glad they are starting to control the throttle, brakes,
steering and suspension on all new cars for you? It all sucks!

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Im just curious.....but can't you just change the date manually through the trip computer and set it to any date that you feel like?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2004 Grand Prix GT1. My day/date indicator is fine, and it displayed February 29 (with the correct day of the week) at the appropriate time. I bought the car in January, 2004. Perhaps they fixed the glitch by then?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Why do you need the date anyway in your car? A clock is fine. If you don't know what day of the week it is, maybe you shouldn't be driving.

Your car isn't a VCR. It has no need for a date in the computer. It's only asking for trouble.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hmm... time travel...

"...You made a time machine...out of a Pontiac???"

---Back to the Future

Okay, so maybe the Delorean was unique and Pontiac doesn't have that same ring it... :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts