GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source: Automotive News Special Email Alert

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors today said it would delay the unveiling of a new Buick LaCrosse model that it had planned to show at the Los Angeles auto show in November in part to reduce costs.

In addition, GM has scrapped a working plan to show off the coupe version of its Cadillac CTS in Los Angeles.

GM will unveil the new Buick at the Detroit auto show in January, GM spokesman Scott Fosgard said.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't care if you're strapped for cash - you've put these out there to the public, garnered interest to the point that people come to a dealer and ask about them and now you're going to delay it for the sake of not "blowing" your money. Excuse me, but isn't that how you make money in this business?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
If it's just the auto show releases that's one thing... it's any delay in getting vehicles to market that will be troublesome. The Lacrosse is SUPER important if Buick is going to survive... the only vehicle anyone is buying is the Enclave. Caddy could sure use the CTS coupe, but Buick is even more urgently in need of the Lacrosse.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
The whole situation for GM must be incredibly precarious.

Recently, people speculated that they had enough cash to get through '08, but '09 was very questionable. '09 is only two months away. If their cash situation is so precarious that people were talking about whether or not they had cash to get through '08, they may be on the brink of collapse.

When do those government loans come through?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I like it better, cause then i will get to see it at Detroit, cause who knows if they would have even been in Detroit after LA.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
By the time of the Houston auto show in January, GM might not exist in the same capacity as it does now...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I don't care if you're strapped for cash - you've put these out there to the public, garnered interest to the point that people come to a dealer and ask about them and now you're going to delay it for the sake of not "blowing" your money. Excuse me, but isn't that how you make money in this business?
GM looks in pocket, pulls out a nickle and some pocket lint. Now where's the money gonna come from again? When things are tight, and there's nothing to fund the machine, things start to shut down.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
They cannot afford to ship a couple cars and set up a booth or 2? Are the spots at the Auto show selling at that much of a premium? I wouldn't think so considering the situation in the auto market.

Tough times are clearly live and in effect.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The auto shows cost millions to put on. To ship the cars to LA and the media rollout does cost a lot, and considering the economy it makes sense to wait until January. The economy may be better then.
Costs millions? Media rollout? Do they pay the media for the autoshow coverage? Shipping a car doesn't cost much and I'm sure GM has their own unmarked haulers. Making a display booth for a car doesn't cost much. Hire some interns to put together a snazzy video featuring the car and have Bob drive it on a stage. After that it sits in the booth. I'm sure they pay for the booth spot and stage time ( if they want it) but other than that doesn't seem to cost much.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Today the Feds open the TARP (Troubled Asset Relief Program) for the financial institutions and other corporations to get loans.

Also, GM & Chrysler has made another overture to the Feds for additional money
($10,000,000,000)to make sure the merger goes through.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
No loss in this decision, the Cadillac AMC Javelin was a loser product anyway - wouldn't have made much of a profit impact, wouldn't have generated much in sales, and wasn't uniquely designed. I haven't seen the Buick version but I'm sure it wasn't good looking since nothing from Buick lately has been.

Perhaps GM should just cease producing vehicles for a year and lay everyone off for that period if it just wants to conserve cash.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Maybe they realize that introducing a vehicle that looks as mediocre as the 2010 Lacrosse isn't going to buy them much so they are going to just quietly introduce it in January and hope someone notices on the showroom floor. It costs a lot to roll these new models out to the shows these days.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.