GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
MORAINE — The bad news continues for the local General Motors Corp. plant.

GM will eliminate the second shift at its Moraine SUV assembly plant, the company said Monday, July 28.

The move — effective Sept. 29, 2008 — affects about 1,000 hourly, salaried and temporary employees at the plant, said Jessica Peck, a plant spokesman.

In addition, the plant will be shut down during the month of December 2008, Peck said.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/business/2008/07/28/ddn072808shiftweb.html#comments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
and because dispite a dated exterior and interior it is still a popular truck with good towing ability and fairly decent MPG. Not to mention it can turn on a dime!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
For the life of me, I don't understand why the GMT-360's are still being made.
if GM lays off these workers and don't build any cars it still cost GM money for union benefits. less cars being built the more profit per car goes to the union workers

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if GM lays off these workers and don't build any cars it still cost GM money for union benefits. less cars being built the more profit per car goes to the union workers
Meh it isn't really like that anymore, Or atleast what you still have stuck in your head. Don't worry it will take time what the media has engraved into your head about the Union. As of right now the way that people are talking about our contract that we haven't even agreed too or really have finishe negotiations on, We don't even have a Jobs Bank !!! But yes we have 36 weeks left in our Sub pay and people with 10+ years 25 months of Health insurance.

Why still make them? Because as of April the time of $2.50 gas they sold enough to support 2 shifts with only 2-4 weeks of layoffs.

@ $4 gas Why still make them? Because they are a Cash Cow and they make a lot of $$$ in Exports.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also from that same article but further down

"There's no date for the closing," Harlow added. "They announced a shift off with us and (another GM plant in) Shreveport (La.) and reduced SUV and truck production," Harlow said.

The company has told plant officials that the automaker wanted to "respond to the market," Harlow said.

"Right now they're saying that sales for our vehicles are down by 37 percent as compared to last year," he added.

Union officials are planning to meet with company counterparts in the week of Aug. 4 to talk about the future of the plant, Harlow said. Contract negotiations — talks which started October 2007 — will also resume that week, he said.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
wait, there going to cut colorado/canyon production?? wtf??

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Meh it isn't really like that anymore, Or atleast what you still have stuck in your head. Don't worry it will take time what the media has engraved into your head about the Union. As of right now the way that people are talking about our contract that we haven't even agreed too or really have finishe negotiations on, We don't even have a Jobs Bank !!! But yes we have 36 weeks left in our Sub pay and people with 10+ years 25 months of Health insurance.

Why still make them? Because as of April the time of $2.50 gas they sold enough to support 2 shifts with only 2-4 weeks of layoffs.

@ $4 gas Why still make them? Because they are a Cash Cow and they make a lot of $$$ in Exports.
how about unemployment insurance as GM also pays for this on top of the other benefits because the more workers on it the higher the companies payments.

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Wow, who saw this coming? Just kidding, I guess they are trying to ramp down employment and entice more workers to accept the buyouts before the plant closes completely next year.

·
Registered
876 Posts
For the life of me, I don't understand why the GMT-360's are still being made.
Because they still sell a lot of them.

GM delivered 10,516 Trailblazers in June. Not too shabby for a car that hasn't changed much in over 7 years. The R&D and tooling was likely paid for years ago, so there's likely a lot of profit in each of them - even if it's mostly fleet customers that are gobbling them up.

For comparison's sake, GM delivered 4,626 CTSes and 13,650 Malibus in that same time period.

·
Registered
197 Posts
And most of them use one of the sweetest engines GM makes, the I6. The engine that should have been optional in the Colorado/Canyon. GM needs to find some other uses for that engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
These SUVs have been bread and butter for GM for several years and for the life of me I can't see why GM is moving so fast to dump these. OK sales are down but so is every other vehicle. These still are mid-sized and not as "huge" as Tahoes/Suburbans. A simple refresh and tweak the engine and add a 6 speed to get a few more MPG and sales may have recovered. No they wont sell a million of them but given thier cost structure GM should have been able to make money on a much smaller sales volume. As I understand they sell well overseas. Not everyone is going to run to an HHR. Seems shortsided to me. But what do I know, I one of the few fans Buick has left!

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
These SUVs have been bread and butter for GM for several years and for the life of me I don't see why GM is so fast to dump these. OK sales are down but so is every other vehicle. These still are mid-sized and not as "huge" as Tahoes/Suburbans. A simple refresh and tweak the engine and add a 6 speed to get a few more MPG and sales may have recovered. No they wont sell a million of them but given there cost structure GM should have been able to make money on a much smaller sales volume. As I understand they sell well overseas. Not everyone is going to run to an HHR. Seems shortsided to me. But what do I know, I one of the few fans Buick has left!
For the most part you are 100% correct. The ending of this product will only mean more market share loss for GM. Seems toyota had no problem redoing the 4runner and Honda is advertising their new "fuel eficient" pilot and Kia just released the new bof Borrego and I bet they all eat up the pieces of the market that GM gives up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
And most of them use one of the sweetest engines GM makes, the I6. The engine that should have been optional in the Colorado/Canyon. GM needs to find some other uses for that engine.
Very true! The 4.2 I6 ranks right up there with the 4.3L V6 as far as some of the best engines that GM has made. Either of which should have somehow made it to the Colorado/Canyon. The fact that GM makes a midsize truck without a 6 cylinder option is beyond me. As I understand it, the Atlas engines are very expensive to produce. So even if you wanted to design a truck too small for the 4.2, why wouldn't you put the 4.3 in there? They did with the S10. While this would have sufficed, its not what I would have done. For the life of me I cannot understand why GM did not design the Colorado with a big enough bay to fit the 4.2 I6. They could have made it bigger and improved the capability and not suffer much consequense as the Colorado and Trailblazer do with a mpg or 2 or each other. As it is, GM has the smallest displacement of any loaded truck in the class, and is short a cylinder. So for the life of me I don't see why producing another costly atlas engine was superior to offering an update 4.3L S10 engine

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I'm surprised that they used an entirely different platform for the Canyon/Colorado and the Envoy/Trailblazer. Had everything been built on the GMT-360 platform, the cost would have been spread, the 4.2 would have been moved around, and probably would have paid for itself by now. GM does it with the Yukon/Tahoe and the Sierra/Silverado, so why not with the smaller set? I'm thinking the GM should update the 360 platform, and built both a smaller pickup and suv, its not like nobody will ever buy one again. The market is just shrinking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts