1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM to build Honda EV in Mexico, Acura EV in Tennessee
Automotive News
January 5, 2021

General Motors plans to start building two battery-electric crossovers for Honda Motor Co. within four years: a Honda-branded vehicle at a GM plant in Mexico and an Acura-branded vehicle alongside the upcoming Cadillac Lyriq in Tennessee, according to two people familiar with the plans.

Production of the Honda crossover is slated to begin in 2023 in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico, where GM builds the gasoline-powered Chevrolet Blazer and Equinox, the sources said. Automotive News reported last year that GM likely would retool Ramos Arizpe Assembly for EV production by 2024, but GM has not confirmed the plans.

Production of the Acura crossover is scheduled to begin in 2024 in Spring Hill, Tenn., according to the sources, who asked not to be identified discussing future product plans. The Honda and Acura models are expected to be roughly the size of the Lyriq, which is scheduled to go on sale in early 2022.
*More at the link (Paywall)

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Report: GM Will Build Honda EV In Mexico, Acura EV In TN

Automotive News
January 5, 2021

General Motors plans to start building two battery-electric crossovers for Honda Motor Co. within four years: a Honda-branded vehicle at a GM plant in Mexico and an Acura-branded vehicle alongside the upcoming Cadillac Lyriq in Tennessee, according to two people familiar with the plans.

Production of the Honda crossover is slated to begin in 2023 in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico, where GM builds the gasoline-powered Chevrolet Blazer and Equinox, the sources said. Automotive News reported last year that GM likely would retool Ramos Arizpe Assembly for EV production by 2024, but GM has not confirmed the plans.

Production of the Acura crossover is scheduled to begin in 2024 in Spring Hill, Tenn., according to the sources, who asked not to be identified discussing future product plans. The Honda and Acura models are expected to be roughly the size of the Lyriq, which is scheduled to go on sale in early 2022.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Re: Report: GM Will Build Honda EV In Mexico, Acura EV In TN

Waiting to see what GM gets in return. How about an Accord repackaged as a Malibu? Return the Cruze based on the Civic?

It would keep GM in two important product categories until the last car is sold in favor of an CUV/SUV, helping dealers, and keeping people in the GM family.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Sorry I stepped on your thread! Closed my duplicate.

Waiting to see what GM gets in return. How about an Accord repackaged as a Malibu? Return the Cruze based on the Civic?

It would keep GM in two important product categories until the last car is sold in favor of an CUV/SUV, helping dealers, and keeping people in the GM family.

·
Registered
20,211 Posts

RE: What does GM get? How about "EV Volume"?

An Accord and Civic based GM would be great.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
GM (an American company) will build a Honda (a Japanese company) in Mexico.

You couldn’t make this up if you tried.
Maybe a Honda, (rebadged Daewoo) made in S. Korea sold in USA isn't so crazy after all?

For them to be ‘Great’ they would need GM power trains and electronic architecture, CVT, no thank you.
Stop, please, just stop................

Reactions: ryannel2003

·
Registered
16,946 Posts

Money? :D

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
GM has spread its "seed" quite wide over the years
I hope this GM/Honda SHACK UP gives GM incentive to actually TRY to make a "low cost" product worth having

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Maybe a Honda, (rebadged Daewoo) made in S. Korea sold in USA isn't so crazy after all?

Stop, please, just stop................
I would rather have a GM automatic transmission then a Honda. Their engines haven't been anything special either in quite a while. What are they slapping in the Accord now, a 1.5t 4-pot? Sounds exactly the same as the 1.5t in the Malibu.......

Reactions: mbukukanyau

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
I would rather have a GM automatic transmission then a Honda. Their engines haven't been anything special either in quite a while. What are they slapping in the Accord now, a 1.5t 4-pot? Sounds exactly the same as the 1.5t in the Malibu.......
The Malibu, that also has a CVT?...........................

Reactions: ryannel2003

·
Premium Member
33,273 Posts
The old Honda is long dead, GM is getting shafted here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts