·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM to begin Hummer electric pickup deliveries in December
Reuters
November 23, 2021

DETROIT, Nov 23 (Reuters) - General Motors Co (GM.N) will begin deliveries of its GMC Hummer electric pickup truck in December, the brand's chief said on Tuesday.

The top-of-the-line "Edition 1" of the Hummer will have an electric driving range of 329 miles, Duncan Aldred told reporters on a conference call. GM is launching the vehicle with that model, with a starting price above $100,000, and subsequent models, with higher EV driving ranges and lower starting prices, will be added in 2023, he said.

Aldred said more than 80% of the reservations for the Hummer pickup were for the Edition 1 model and nearly half of the more than 125,000 people who have expressed interest in the Hummer have put down $100 to reserve the truck.
*Full Article at Link

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Duncan Aldred told reporters on a conference call. GM is launching the vehicle with that model, with a starting price above $100,000, and subsequent models, with higher EV driving ranges and lower starting prices, will be added in 2023

The author of the article needs to rewrite that sentence. It makes it sound like subsequence models will have higher EV driving range and lower starting prices.

That being said, I wonder if there's going to be any pick up celebrations from HUMMER/GMC?

·
Premium Member
35,138 Posts
The author of the article needs to rewrite that sentence. It makes it sound like subsequence models will have higher EV driving range and lower starting prices.

That being said, I wonder if there's going to be any pick up celebrations from HUMMER/GMC?
Yeah, that sentence doesn’t make sense.

did they not sell out of launch editions?

·
Registered
44,410 Posts
Yeah, that sentence doesn’t make sense.

did they not sell out of launch editions?
I thought they sold out of the launch editions in minutes?

I do find it weird that this first edition of the HUMMER isn't the top of the line. Presumably the higher driving range version would be more expensive? Unless GM's found a way to differentiating the vehicles in another way?

Typically, the cheaper versions would have a smaller battery, so it would have lower cost and shorter range. Unless the Edition 1 is a "performance" version, and the cheaper ones aren't programmed for performance.

·
Premium Member
35,138 Posts
I thought they sold out of the launch editions in minutes?

I do find it weird that this first edition of the HUMMER isn't the top of the line. Presumably the higher driving range version would be more expensive? Unless GM's found a way to differentiating the vehicles in another way?

Typically, the cheaper versions would have a smaller battery, so it would have lower cost and shorter range. Unless the Edition 1 is a "performance" version, and the cheaper ones aren't programmed for performance.
The higher range would be lower performance, two motor version, I would suspect.. but who wants a two Motor Hummer?

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
So maybe they should rename the Hummer the Whisperer. Come to think of it, lektrik motors do hum. Maybe AM General was just decades ahead of their time.

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
If they aren't down-sizing the battery, then they would; less content, lower performance, everything (else) equal they will have more range.
- They better, 329 miles kinda stinks, for that big of a battery.

The higher range would be lower performance, two motor version, I would suspect.. but who wants a two Motor Hummer?
Someone that wants one, but doesn't want to spend $120,000? 😉

Both GM and Rivian beat the Cyberturd to market.
"Shocking", I know. Ford will probably beat them too.
"Vaporware"

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
I found this interesting................

"Aldred said more than 80% of the reservations for the Hummer pickup were for the Edition 1 model and nearly half of the more than 125,000 people who have expressed interest in the Hummer have put down $100 to reserve the truck."

Math, via "reading between the lines" here:

1) We don't know how many "Edition 1's" will be made, but we know it's not a lot and if that accounts for 80% of the reservations, then GM doesn't have many reservations past this first-run.
- Example: if its 16,000 then only 4,000 reservations past this first edition, if it's 32,000 then only 8,000 reservations past this first edition.

2) "Nearly Half" = <50% have put $100 down; so lets say 60,000 have put down 100-bucks? For such a low dollar amount, that's not showing much of a commitment or interest.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Premium Member
35,138 Posts
I found this interesting................

"Aldred said more than 80% of the reservations for the Hummer pickup were for the Edition 1 model and nearly half of the more than 125,000 people who have expressed interest in the Hummer have put down $100 to reserve the truck."

Math, via "reading between the lines" here:

1) We don't know how many "Edition 1's" will be made, but we know it's not a lot and if that accounts for 80% of the reservations, then GM doesn't have many reservations past this first-run.
- Example: if its 16,000 then only 4,000 reservations past this first edition, if it's 32,000 then only 8,000 reservations past this first edition.

2) "Nearly Half" = <50% have put $100 down; so lets say 60,000 have put down 100-bucks? For such a low dollar amount, that's not showing much of a commitment or interest.
Well, I aint parting with $10.00 if I am not serious about buyin something let alone $100.00

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
Well, I aint parting with $10.00 if I am not serious about buyin something let alone $100.00
I reserved 4 with 10% of my Rivian profits................

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Both GM and Rivian beat the Cyberturd to market.
"Shocking", I know. Ford will probably beat them too.
I'm surprised by all the Tesla hate around here. An American startup has single handedly changed the direction of one of the largest, and oldest industries in the world, and they did it in less than 14 years. There isn't a single innovation by any of the worlds pre-existing automotive manufacturers that has advanced the industry even a fraction of what Tesla has over that same time frame.

They're not perfect by any means, but neither are the others.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,299 Posts
I'm surprised by all the Tesla hate around here.
This is easy to hate.

Vehicle Car Sky Automotive design Automotive tire

One of the most disgusting trends that I can remember.
That and Stupid Grille are #1 & #1A.

First time I saw that dopey iPad I had to look at rhe calendar.
Nope, not April 1. Then came Cyberturd.
Let's push the limits to see how ugly a vehicle can be and still sell.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts