GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM to add 200 employees to Fairfax plant on Chevrolet Malibu demand

Associated Press
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - General Motors Corp. will add 200 more production employees and start operating the assembly line on Saturdays at its Fairfax plant because of demand for the Chevrolet Malibu.

The auto company is hiring new employees that would boost the hourly work force at Fairfax to nearly 3,000, said Sharon Baldwin, a spokeswoman for the plant.

GM has been operating its two daily shifts on a nine-hour overtime schedule since December.

This Saturday's production will start two full shifts that will work on several Saturdays through the end of the year. The plant's line speed also has been increased since the new version of the Malibu was launched last fall.

"Right now, the demand for the Malibu is very strong," Baldwin said. "Dealers are asking for every car we can build, which is a fantastic problem to have."

Saturday shifts have been rare for the plant. Baldwin said there were some Saturday shifts three years ago, but they were not scheduled regularly.

Most of the additional employees will transfer from Delphi Corp.'s Olathe plant, said Dave Peterson, of United Auto Workers Local 31. However, some of the workers will be new hires.

Peterson said other furloughed workers are transferring from Lansing, Mich. Local 31 officials last year said the Fairfax plant could add a third shift because of the increased Malibu production, but GM has not made that move.

"We can meet the demand right now with overtime and Saturday production," Baldwin said. "Certainly, this is a short-term strategy, but market demand in the future will determine whether we go to a third shift."

Full Article Here

Malibu Gallery

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
And wait 'til sales of the Maxx get rolling!

When did we last hear one of the Big Three was hiring produciotn workers? Amazing.

·
Registered
94 Posts
can you post the entire article please? I don't want to sign up for an account just for one article

this is really good news for GM and the Malibu. I hope demand stays high for a prolonged amount of time

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by LegendNH@Feb 19 2004, 09:33 PM
can you post the entire article please? I don't want to sign up for an account just for one article
That's strange, I'm not signed up and I can freely access the article... :blink:

Generally I don't post everything, so as to give credit to the original source, but I try to post the "good stuff". :p If I can't access the site and it needs some kind of registration, I won't copy the article (I'm too lazy to sign up for that stuff too, and I don't like giving my e-mail out to all of those sites).

Let me know if you are still having problems accessing their site.

Basically the last bit says they are not going to need to run a 3rd shift.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
GM Canada has very little in the way of incentives on the Bu, only 0% for 48. No cash backs at all. The dealer I get my car serviced at never seems to have more than 1 or 2 on the lot (vs. 8-10 Aveos) which would lead me to believe they are selling well.

I tested an LS in December and I was very impressed with the car. I drive an Intrigue and although I prefer my car, the Malibu was pretty close in a lot of areas for lots less money. The 3.5L was real good also, nice and peppy.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Hopefully this is just the begining to getting Chevrolet back on track to reclaiming the title of USA-1 !!!

I have seen quite a few Malibu sedans on the road, they are quite nice. The one that I liked the best was a black fully loaded LT, very sharp. I have also seen one Maxx, in champagne color, very nice.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
whohoo! exciting stuff! says lots for the driving dynamics and value of the car, because it's not unquestionably gorgeous. go malibu! can't wait to see the maxx sales take off. this bodes well for the G6 too... where will it be built, BTW? and is the maxx produced at the same plant as the malibu sedan?

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Oh my God, who woulda thunk it? Actually put a little cash and effort into designing a reasonably attractive, high-quality, reasonably-priced four-door family sedan (and five-door wagon/hatch version), and they'll sell?! Holy cow, will wonders ever cease?

I saw a Maxx on the road the other day, and I thought it was quite fetchin', better looking than even the pictures portray it. It even looked great in the somewhat dull gray paint job.

I tend to agree with MCGARRETT; perhaps Chevy is on the mend? I just hope Chevy doesn't get ****y and try to rest on its very brief laurels and slack off. Consistency, man.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The Malibu is a great car in need of better seats! maybe the base model can get away with it but the LS and Max LS should have nicer cloth without that silly check pattern. My parents good friends are in the market for a mid size GM with cloth seats and a moonroof plus a V6. They like the Malibu but hate the seats! If only Chevy would change that they would probably have even more sales.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by tgagneguam@Feb 20 2004, 01:36 PM
I just hope Chevy doesn't get ****y and try to rest on its very brief laurels and slack off. Consistency, man.
yeah... all this talk about 'revolution', and pouring money into cadillac and chevrolet and buick (and pontiac?) to revamp their lineups is nice to hear... but i sure hope they can sustain what they've done, and not have to do it again in a decade.

consistency is right... that's what'll grab market share. it'll take years and years before GM grabs some of the more diehard import consumers... and only after there are years of positive reviews of GM's continued quality and design improvements.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is very true, we have a lot of people putting in transfers and there getting tagged to leave two weeks later. This suck for me though because if people keep leaving that means I have to keep training new people! :( I am staying put I'd much rather be building Cadillacs, but am also very excited to see the Malibu doing well.

Oh yah the G6 will be built at GM's Orion(sp?) Michigan plant, even though it shares the longer platform with the G6 I am not sure if the Maxx will be built there too.

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
The Malibu is a great car in need of better seats! maybe the base model can get away with it but the LS and Max LS should have nicer cloth without that silly check pattern. My parents good friends are in the market for a mid size GM with cloth seats and a moonroof plus a V6. They like the Malibu but hate the seats! If only Chevy would change that they would probably have even more sales.

Tell them to jump up to the LT, it has a very nice suede and leather combo on the seats, it cant really be that much more than an LS with a moonroof.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
speaking of demand... does anyone know of a regularly updated site for monthly auto sales? by model would be cool, but even by make or manufacturer. i can never seem to find that info... i'm curious to see how GM sales go as the year progresses...

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 20 2004, 04:26 PM
speaking of demand... does anyone know of a regularly updated site for monthly auto sales? by model would be cool, but even by make or manufacturer. i can never seem to find that info... i'm curious to see how GM sales go as the year progresses...
This used to be a good site, unfortunately, it hasn't been updated recently:

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsedan.asp

·
Registered
15 Posts
:rolleyes: Well, good News Fellas, BUT As for Me, I'll never buy another Chev. Malibu Maybe someone will BLESS me with a Olds. OR A Pont. HUH?? That's ALL.....RoseLady In Deep South,Arkansas.... :(

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
what does that post even say??

I know someone who had a brand new honda civic that threw a rod at 17k miles.

The story? every brand has a couple lemons.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Any word on a Malibu SS? I know they showed a Malibu Maxx SS last year, but I am interested in a Malibu sedan SS. Please GM, give us a manual transmission in the new Malibu.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts