GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Not sure if this is a repost or not of the information but here we go:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/222281

GM tests Volt batteries

General Motors' engineers say they have developed a new computer algorithm to accelerate durability testing of the lithium-ion batteries needed for its plug-in electric Volt to be produced

GM says the new algorithm compresses the equivalent of 10 years of battery use into the tight timeframe required to get the Volt into production by late 2010.

Battery testing and load cycling runs around the clock in the company's test labs in Michigan and Germany.

"The challenge is predicting 10 years of battery life with just over two years of testing time," said Frank Weber, global vehicle chief engineer of the Chevrolet Volt and E-Flex systems.

Actual test vehicles will have to be used to account for the many in-use variables that cannot be accounted for in lab testing.

The Volt's T-shaped battery pack will fit into the centre tunnel and under the rear seats, and will become an integral part of the vehicle's structure.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Open book product development like this is great for the competition. Keep it up GM! :rolleyes:

Mark
Why did GM give it's competitors the computer algorithm? I don't think so. This information doesn't hurt anything.

On a side note. Not only will GM be working hard to improve E-flex for many years to come. But they will also be constantly improving testing and production methods to bring future E-flex vehicles to market faster and cheaper.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
They didn't give away anything...Engineers would know this is essentially what would be needed to get the work done. The secret is in making the algorithm. If I were GM, I would be locking the doors a little tighter at the R&D labs. We know this one is biting Toyota in the ass.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Santa Claus
Easter Bunny
Fountain of Youth
Chevrolet Volt any time before 2025

·
Registered
615 Posts
Open book product development like this is great for the competition. Keep it up GM! :rolleyes:

Mark
GM is in such a poor position from a PR perspective that the constant stream of encouraging news is far more important than what they may be giving away to the competition.

I think the same thing is happening with the Camaro. The actual product will do less for the company than the hype around it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
aero changes make it 30 percent more aerodynamic

it will look like a prius or a VW beetle to get the C of D down it is not going to look like a camaro

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Aerodynamic tuning of the vehicle's exterior design is said to have reduced the car's drag coefficient by 30 per cent from the original concept.
That's great news to me. Unlike most cars, I actually hope that they sacrificed style for optimum efficiency. I still think the concept had way too long of a hood, giant wheels and looked like a mini-Camaro -- not a very practical or even aerodynamic look even if you're trying to be "different" than a Prius you don't want to look too much like a sports car - it appealed to the wrong crowd -- they'll need every Camaro buyer to actually buy the Camaro from sales projections I've read if they want to keep it for longer than the Ford Thunderbird's lifespan - and they have the Solstice and Sky for those who want a long hooded mini-Camaro/Corvette anyway.

I know I'm in the minority on a site like GMI on this, but I'm hoping for less of this look:

And more of this (GM-EV1 for the aerodynamics, the GM Hy-Wire for the versatility and space in the footprint):

I just want the car to "be all it can be", and not have some excuse (from an angry Bob Lutz mouthing off at a critical media) about poor range or versatility because of styling choices. The Prius has proven that ugly can sell if it gets the job done.

Now, if GM can make a car that looks close to the concept, has a shorter hood (long hoods are just wasted space on a car that isn't packing a V8 or larger) AND kicks butt and takes names, then I'll be all for that, too.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
That's great news to me. Unlike most cars, I actually hope that they sacrificed style for optimum efficiency. I still think the concept had way too long of a hood, giant wheels and looked like a mini-Camaro -- not a very practical or even aerodynamic look even if you're trying to be "different" than a Prius you don't want to look too much like a sports car - it appealed to the wrong crowd -- they'll need every Camaro buyer to actually buy the Camaro from sales projections I've read if they want to keep it for longer than the Ford Thunderbird's lifespan - and they have the Solstice and Sky for those who want a long hooded mini-Camaro/Corvette anyway.

I know I'm in the minority on a site like GMI on this, but I'm hoping for less of this look:

And more of this (GM-EV1 for the aerodynamics, the GM Hy-Wire for the versatility and space in the footprint):

I just want the car to "be all it can be", and not have some excuse (from an angry Bob Lutz mouthing off at a critical media) about poor range or versatility because of styling choices. The Prius has proven that ugly can sell if it gets the job done.

Now, if GM can make a car that looks close to the concept, has a shorter hood (long hoods are just wasted space on a car that isn't packing a V8 or larger) AND kicks butt and takes names, then I'll be all for that, too.

I agree the hood should be shorter, a long hood adds a muscular look. But, I also think good style can come with short hoods. The EV1 is butt ugly, IMHO, but the bottom pic of the hydrogen mini-van would take that part of the market hands down (it's actually a nice looking mini-van); if it was hydrogen or e-flex of course.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Plane, are you willing to place a monetary bet on your prediction concerning the Volt? I think you are wrong on this...IMHO.

Bob Lutz tells it like it is, even if the media doesn't want to hear it like this. I am sure if you take a poll, more Americans believe in Bob than the media. Check a couple of the polls that show Americans distrust the media because of all their bias and false, hyped reporting. Of course you will never hear the media report on/ be critical of themselves. Even if Bob iis not always right, he is a clear majority of the time (95%, maybe). Can't say the same for the big media outlets with all their scandals and retracted stories. I would place a bet on him with this one...Even if some do not want to hear or believe that.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Plane, are you willing to place a monetary bet on your prediction concerning the Volt? I think you are wrong on this...IMHO.
Either way, I win.
I've already told my wife that my next car is the Volt.
So if it doesn't make it here until 2025, no problem.
I'll just drive a dark blue Z08 and deal with it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Unlike most cars, I actually hope that they sacrificed style for optimum efficiency.
I know I'm in the minority on a site like GMI on this, but I'm hoping for less of this look...
I'm sure you are in the minority at GMI about the styling. I liked the styling of the concept, however it was not the most efficient style.

The Prius has proven that ugly can sell if it gets the job done.
This it true. I think the ugly styling has actually helped the sales of the Prius because it stands out.

This vehicle is so important to the future of GM that they cannot make any compromises. It will be interesting to see how the hybrids evolve with better algorithms and batteries in the next 10 years or so.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
opel got the Cd down of the G90 concept to 0.22. it's a 4 seater, and doesn't look much different than any other hatchback. gm should get the volt's Cd down below 0.25 (i'm guessing it's around 0.30 now). a full under tray is worth a huge %, and rear wheel covers are worth 10% Cd. gm has the largest wind tunnel...they should get it right from the start.

the volt will use a T battery pack like the ev1:) except the batteries won't weigh 1100 lb (880 lb seems really excessive for Li-ion, and shorter range than the ev1). i hope the volt isn't more than 2900 lb, considering its relatively mainstream tech. an volt with a 1.3 cidi (not a hybrid) would get near 70 mpg.

btw, letting your competition know that you have unique tech to evaluate long term battery durability is a psych out strategy. gm 1, toyota/honda 0. nissan and ford both use toyota hybrid tech, so they're not even on the map.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The first body style was to get attention; the final one will be different for Cd reasons, but also standout. You have to remember that this things is being put together as we speak. Nothing is really finalized until the end, unlike the usual car development process. Design and engineering is working hand-in-hand. It is incredible what they are doing.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
This is good news indeed. :) I really can't wait to see the production Chevy Volt. I don't expect the exterior design to be completely different from the concept although its obvious that some design aspects of the exterior are going to change.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts