GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted by By AUTOWEEK@08:30 Feb. 18, 2004
General Motors will switch from Camaros and Firebirds to Monte Carlos in the NHRA’s Funny Car class. Working with Don Prudhomme’s Snake Racing two-car Funny Car team, the bodies were developed at the GM wind tunnel in Warren, Michigan.
Short Story Here

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Does it really matter what car they use?
These drag racers don't share anything in common (including looks) with their street counterpart.

Why don't they just call it the GM Dragster?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Ya beat me to it Rex, I just wrote:

I think this is perfect, since no one really associates the Monte Carlo production FWD V6 with the V8 RWD powered cars in NASCAR --- and Funny cars as far as I can tell have absolutely nothing to do with any production cars. ;)

(Actually I think the name "Chevrolet" would be enough, but that's just me)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Exactly, didn't everyone realize this was irelavent when Toyota debued their "Celica" funny car. Can't wait for the Camry NASCAR! This is why I couldn't care less about most motorsports.

-T

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Originally posted by T-Keith@Feb 19 2004, 11:40 AM
Exactly, didn't everyone realize this was irelavent when Toyota debued their "Celica" funny car. Can't wait for the Camry NASCAR! This is why I couldn't care less about most motorsports.

-T
i like the scca racing cause the cars are based off of real production cars. not just an engine block from the manufacture with the roof, hood and rear deck lid.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
whoa, I guess no one expected such a decision!
I can only imagine the countless meetings to come up with such a genial ideea wich will change everything!

joke apart, I don't know why they were that eager to get rid of the camaro/firebird names...
ever since 87 the poor monte is in pain, will this mean that the next monte will be v8 rwd once more and REPLACE the '07 camaro?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Feb 19 2004, 05:25 PM
joke apart, I don't know why they were that eager to get rid of the camaro/firebird names...
i imagine the fact that the camaro/firebird no longer exist is the reason. F-bodied funny cars (or at least the name on the cars!) would be advertising cars that people can't buy anymore... GM probably decided to exerise its advertising muscle where it can help sell cars.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
good point, but for me the f-bod names associated real world performance to the GM name, while now, you can't do that association anymore (especially when you know what a great car the monte used to be and what's become).

on the other hand, if the monte would be allready v8 rwd, I would see no problem in naming the same the funny car...

anyways, who cares...

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by johnd89@Feb 19 2004, 05:38 PM
on the other hand, if the monte would be allready v8 rwd, I would see no problem in naming the same the funny car...
i see what you're saying... maybe they'll switch the funny cars to FWD :) hahaha!

or maybe they can install the body backwards, so that the drive wheels are where they should be :)

(now THOSE would be FUNNY cars!).

on a 'for the most part' unrelated note, i remember seeing a convertible in 'romeo and juliet' (shut up- g/f MADE me watch it ;)) that was CLEARLY based on a chopped chevrolet celebrity. at one point someone takes off and spins the rear tires! i got a kick out of that!

·
Registered
72 Posts
good point, but for me the f-bod names associated real world performance to the GM name, while now, you can't do that association anymore (especially when you know what a great car the monte used to be and what's become).

Ok New Monte is better looking AND faster than the old one. I just don't understand!!!!!!!!!!! How someone could say that.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Feb 19 2004, 05:45 PM
or maybe they can install the body backwards, so that the drive wheels are where they should be :)

(now THOSE would be FUNNY cars!).
:lol: :lol: :lol:
good one!!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by mcroto97@Feb 19 2004, 09:06 PM
Ok New Monte is better looking AND faster than the old one. I just don't understand!!!!!!!!!!! How someone could say that.
well, for many seeing a fwd car breaking loose the tires is among the most embarassing stuff...
the old one, even if it had a 305, with few bolt ons could see as much as 350hp...
so what it wasn't powerfull (in stock form) it still was a way cool looking car, an instant classic.
they even had t-tops...

to end this debate, could you ever imagine a fwd v6 trans am???

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Originally posted by mcroto97@Feb 19 2004, 09:14 PM
I forgot... Dido for the new Impala, even though the old one looked way cooler the new one is faster!
ok, now imagine a rwd imp ss with the ls1 engine ;)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by johnd89+Feb 19 2004, 04:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (johnd89 @ Feb 19 2004, 04:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mcroto97@Feb 19 2004, 09:06 PM
well, for many seeing a fwd car breaking loose the tires is among the most embarassing stuff...
the old one, even if it had a 305, with few bolt ons could see as much as 350hp...
so what it wasn't powerfull (in stock form) it still was a way cool looking car, an instant classic.
they even had t-tops...

to end this debate, could you ever imagine a fwd v6 trans am??? [/b][/quote]
geeez, a bit more that a few bolt on's is needed to get from 180HP to 350HP.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
well, I wouldn't spend any money building the 305, but drop a 350 or 383 stroker instead (this one's good for 500hp...).
try to do that in a fwd monte!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by johnd89@Feb 19 2004, 07:45 PM
well, I wouldn't spend any money building the 305, but drop a 350 or 383 stroker instead (this one's good for 500hp...).
try to do that in a fwd monte!
Well that's more like it, a different engine would do the job. Not what you said in your earlier post.

Besides, plenty of bolt-ons for these V6 3800 FWD cars to get them into the 12 sec 1/4 mile times. Quite a few in the 11 second range as well. If a guy is serious about it then it is possible and without an engine swap.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts