GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Re: GM Streamlines Volt Plant, Delays 2nd Shift

I think we have to stop looking at this as just a NA thing and realize that this car is set to ship world wide from this plant by the end of the year.

·
Banned
2,714 Posts

Sorry about the typo, Zete. The missing *NOT* totally altered what I intended to say. As for GM's intent, its changed quite a bit over the years. The high turnover in Volt development management is an unfortunate influence over direction. But the popping is not lost. GM ultimately took the luxury route, not so-called compromising. Toyota took the step-at-a-time approach. The latter offers a product for middle-market must sooner... for consumers who aren't interested in luxury anyway.

Of course, driving through the burbs in EV could be considered luxury.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,895 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

Price should never be a goal in the first place. That's how you make a mediocre product. Look at the difference between what Apple has done the past decade versus the competition. It's an attention to detail that wins, not building crap as quickly and cheaply as possible. If you want to have a fanatical following build it so well the owners will sell the product for you. That's what GM has done.
Zete, I applaud your efforts but it's just about a lost cause attempting to reason with some of these people. The Prius was cutting edge 10 years ago. Now, with Voltec, it's an obsolete technology and some people can't let go. So with this near Volt priced Prius I can get a whopping 15 miles on EV if I'm very, very soft with the throttle (to the tune of 20 seconds to get to 60mph). Oh, and I'm typing this from my iMac 27 i7...:D

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
And as impressive as the Volt is for the first go-round, it's not what excites me the most. What really gets me excited is what Voltec is going to lead to for future GM products.

·
Registered
625 Posts

GM will hit their 10,000 target for the Volt.
Really?

From The Detroit Bureau:

Last month sales of the Volt totaled 723, bringing volume for the first nine months of the year to 3,895. GM would have to nearly triple sales during the final three months of 2011 – to just over 2,000 per month – to make the 10,000 target. (That figure does not include dealer demo models.)

According to Peterson, there will absolutely be at least 10,000 vehicles sold by December 31, or “they will be on dealership lots.”

Technically, a manufacturer like GM gets its money the money a vehicle is shipped from the factory, but a vehicle is generally not considered sold at a retail level until a consumer signs the necessary paperwork. So, that would suggest that the maker might stretch its definition of success.
I think the writer has caught on to the changing story: if GM is able to ship a total of 10,000 units, the definition of "sale" will be altered to fit the narrative.

Full story here: http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/201...ift-–-but-maker-claims-sales-still-on-target/

·
Banned
2,714 Posts

Zete, I applaud your efforts but it's just about a lost cause attempting to reason with some of these people. The Prius was cutting edge 10 years ago. Now, with Voltec, it's an obsolete technology and some people can't let go. So with this near Volt priced Prius I can get a whopping 15 miles on EV if I'm very, very soft with the throttle (to the tune of 20 seconds to get to 60mph). Oh, and I'm typing this from my iMac 27 i7...:D
What makes it obsolete? Greater range is a matter of adding more sub-packs. PIP will start with 4. Camry hybrid uses a much more powerful electric motor. Why couldn't that be used in a plug-in?

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts

: Oh, and I'm typing this from my iMac 27 i7...:D
Hey, me too!

Really?

From The Detroit Bureau:

I think the writer has caught on to the changing story: if GM is able to ship a total of 10,000 units, the definition of "sale" will be altered to fit the narrative.

Full story here: http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/201...ift-–-but-maker-claims-sales-still-on-target/
My Volt, which is sold to me obviously, is #4500 for the 2012 model year. It will arrive next week. That makes 4500 out the door and to customers.

And if you read some of the threads at GM-Volt.com you'll see folks with models with production numbers of 5000, 6000, etc. all due end of October, perhaps early November.

And since others here in Ottawa have gotten their 2012s with production numbers in the low 100s that means since those were delivered GM has produced and shipped a few thousand which have yet to appear on the sales charts, yet all are sold. Supposedly here in Ottawa if you want a Volt you have to wait until the new year. The 2011 calendar year allotment has been sold as has the full 500 allotment for the year for Canada.

Let's await October's numbers. If they're still 700 then we should wonder. If they show 3 - 5000, then they'll easily hit 10,000 by the end of the year.

What makes it obsolete? Greater range is a matter of adding more sub-packs. PIP will start with 4. Camry hybrid uses a much more powerful electric motor. Why couldn't that be used in a plug-in?
Is there room for more sub-packs? I doubt it. And by adding more packs you add weight and complexity.

And you can have as big an electric motor as you want, all you can do is drain the battery faster -- assuming you can draw against it fast enough. It's not the motor but the actual batteries. I'm sure if Toyota could have shoved in more they would have. My guess is they couldn't, so they didn't. To get the same size pack as the Volt they'd have to quadruple the Prius' pack. Remember, the Volt's pack goes down the centre and under the seats. The car was designed with the pack in mind.

I do wonder how you're going to reconcile the fact that, if memory serves, Toyota plans to sell 15,000 plug-in Priuses next year. That's with a car that already existed, not a totally new design, new drivetrain, new battery technology, new everything. You'd think the almighty Toyota would show GM how it's done and produce hundreds of thousands...

·
Banned
2,714 Posts

I do wonder how you're going to reconcile the fact that, if memory serves, Toyota plans to sell 15,000 plug-in Priuses next year.
Total production for the year is 50,000.

Unlike Volt, the plug-in Prius will be rolled out to 3 different markets at the same time.

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts

Unlike Volt, the plug-in Prius will be rolled out to 3 different markets at the same time.
Only 50k worldwide? For something that's just a regular Prius with a plug? Sad.

They will be rarer than Volts in the US and Canada, probably for a long time once folks realize the Prius is inferior in every way.

But enough jibber jabber. I'm off to other threads. This has grown rather tiresome.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Not that long ago they said 20,000, and that the pip was just a niche .

Volt and it's story is evidently having quite an impact - at Toyota.

One wonders if 50k is meant to suggest PHEV leadership since Volt upped to 45k for here with 60kin total - and sooner, or if that will latter be determined to have been a worldwide figure.:yup:

If 'Toyota' and the internet spin docs runs true to form they'll say different things at different times so later they can pick and choose - based on what actually happens. :lmao:

It's part of why 'they're never wrong' !

·
Registered
7,026 Posts

And Toyota will move those plug-in cars pretty well even though adding a cord really won't improve the cars hardly at all, or make them in any way more like an actual electric drive vehicle. But I have no doubt that the buying public won't understand that.

It would appear that Toyota is trying to prove that they are better at marketing than engineering. And in relation to GM, they probably are. Personally, I'd rather have a well engineered car over a well marketed car.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I wonder how much of a sales bump the Volt will get now that CR's has given a thumbs up to the Volt and a thumbs down to the leaf.

Finally saw some Volts in the sales room. Salesmen are clueless or hiding something as they won't tell me how much it costs to get the charging system set up.

My biggest grip is that the windshield is too sloped and impairs visibility.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Finally saw some Volts in the sales room. Salesmen are clueless or hiding something as they won't tell me how much it costs to get the charging system set up.
Did they mark it up above MSRP?, how many did they have in stock?

The salesmen have no idea, it really depends on how hard it will be to setup your garage (or porch) for 240V at about 20Amps.. but many people choose to just use a standard 120V socket to recharge their Volt.

You may want to consider upgrading the line to 40 Amps for future electric car use. You may already have a circuit for an electric clothes dryer or water heater that can be re-tasked.

I would suggest you call an electrician and get a quote before you ask GM (to avoid getting ripped), the 240V charging dock hardware is $490, but only to Volt owners (they will ask you to prove it). You may be able to the installation yourself and avoid paying the big bucks, dont forget to pull a permit :)

Here is the Volt charging dock AKA EVSE:

https://www.homecharging.spx.com/volt/Display.aspx?id=7&menu=14

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
.....Salesmen are clueless or hiding something as they won't tell me how much it costs to get the charging system set up....
The cost of the charging system is going to be relative to your house (and it's wiring), local building codes, access, etc. A car salesman isn't very likely to be conversant in that area (electical wiring) even if he did know your house.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.